Bills D now ranked 3rd...forced the most fumbles in the NFL by a LOT...

Big Turk

The Bills D has moved up to 3rd overall, averaging 311 yards per game against, only 5 more than the #2 team, Jacksonville who got spanked yesterday 40-7. They are also tied with Jacksonville for 2nd in allowing only 4.9 yards per play against. Bills lead the NFL by a WIDE margin in most forced fumbles with 19(the next closest team is Arizona with 12), also tied for the NFL with the Browns in recovering 7 of those.

However, the Bills are NOT good on 3rd down, allowing a 42% conversion rate, which ranks 21st in the NFL.  

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

The Bills D has moved up to 3rd overall, averaging 311 yards per game against, only 5 more than the #2 team, Jacksonville who got spanked yesterday 40-7. They are also tied with Jacksonville for 2nd in allowing only 4.9 yards per play against. Bills lead the NFL by a WIDE margin in most forced fumbles with 19, also tied for the NFL with the Browns in recovering 7 of those.

However, the Bills are NOT good on 3rd down, allowing a 42% conversion rate, which ranks 21st in the NFL.  

They are terrible on 3rd down and when the game is on the line. That is not a great defense.

2 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

How can this be possible? A troll just said they choked.

Great effort. Hats off to Meatball sacks on 2 consecutive plays.

Troll? They are TERRIBLE on 3rd down. That means they don't produce when they need to. Just like in the last 4 minutes yesterday. All I am saying is they are OVERRATED.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Kevin1778 said:

They are terrible on 3rd down and when the game is on the line. That is not a great defense.

You must not watch a lot of football these days when teams are THROWING for 350+ yards a game routinely...the Bills AVERAGE 311 TOTAL yards a game against(including rushing).  They look pretty freaking good to me.  Imagine how good the numbers would be if they started playing the way they did the first 1.5 games instead of waiting until the 2nd half of the SD game to make the adjustments they made...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Kevin1778 said:

Troll? They are TERRIBLE on 3rd down. That means they don't produce when they need to. Just like in the last 4 minutes yesterday. All I am saying is they are OVERRATED.

Yes, troll.  Glad to know you for the 16 days you’ll be around

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Kevin1778 said:

So we hold a team who averages 440 yards of offense per game to less than half of that at home in a dome, allow 3 points the entire game that weren't from turnovers deep in our own territory, make a goalline stand at the 1 yard line with the game on the line late in the 4th quarter, get 7 sacks on the day(with at least 2 or 3 more missed ones), force 3 turnovers, and this is where you land? 

Dude, what are you watching?  Open your eyes.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 8

14 minutes ago, Kevin1778 said:

Suuuuuuuuure..... ? 

Playing strong defense with no offense is the path to mediocrity.  We've reached a point where defense almost doesn't even matter anymore.  

All those picks and free agent dollars the past 2 off-seasons to build that side of the ball have left the Bills' offense with marginal NFL talent.  From a value perspective, it does no good to have a top defense if it comes at the expense of rebuilding the offense.

Edited by BillsVet
  • Thank you (+1) 1

is it just me or does only recovering 7 out of 19 fumbles seem like a bit of bad luck.

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

Well the D is playing light out...but the forced fumble thing will come back to earth at some point. And when it does that's when we'll see more 20+ point losses.  

that's what everyone(including me) was saying going into this year about all the turnovers last year and not being able to bank on it again.... well here they are doing it all over again.

btw, I don't disagree that it will slow down. i'm just saying for debates sake.

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

is it just me or does only recovering 7 out of 19 fumbles seem like a bit of bad luck.

It is...statistically there is no real "skill" for recovering forced fumbles...typically you regress to the average which is 50-50 no matter what side you are on over time. Cleveland who also has recovered 7, has only forced 11...so they are significantly higher than average...they will regress to the mean as well at some point...might not be this season as its a small sample size but over the course of several seasons, this is almost always the case.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Meanwhile, the bills offense is ranked 29th in time of possession, which makes the defensive success all the more impressive.

This is the point I was about to make.  If the offense could sustain drives some drives, our defensive stats would be even better. 

Milano was so close to grabbing the fumble Hughes forced on the Texans last scoring drive. We'd have had the ball on the Texans 20 with 3 to go, oh well.

38 minutes ago, Kevin1778 said:

Tell me your thoughts on the Chiefs D.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

2-4 no matter how you slice it

And I'm OK with that...the worse we are this year, the higher the pick is in next years draft...there are some unexpectedly bad teams this year...Raiders, Cardinals, etc, and we will need to win no more than 4-5 games to be in a high pick...