Allen =Jake Locker 2.0?

YodaMan79

I think we let McD ruin this guy then we go onto the next coach. Then.... rebuild! 

Peterman, who has the fourth-worst passer rating in his starts among the 231 quarterbacks to start NFL games since 2001, should not have been put in a position to play. The Bills are not doing Peterman any favors by continuing to put him on the field and subject him and the team to ridicule.

McDermott should share some blame for the situation because of his all-too-obvious affinity for Peterman's character traits, despite his clear lack of ability. General manager Brandon Beane should also face criticism for trading quarterback AJ McCarron at the end of the preseason and not signing veteran quarterback Derek Anderson until last week, five games into the season.

Edited by nedboy7

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

But if we are going to talk about it is impossible to judge Allen because of the number games he’s played in and the personnel he is surrounded with, shouldnt that logic also apply to a Peterman?

It’s easier to disregard someone when the expectations are extremely low.

Not really. I haven't seen Allen get baited so easily for a pick 6.

Peterman's the best QB in preseason and practice. He should just go play for the AAF or Canada.

7 hours ago, Success said:

I get why people make comparisons - but I cringe when I see them.

There is no set of cookie cutters for the QB position.  In the end, Allen will be his own QB, and likely a few light years from Locker

I agree completely with the underlined text.

I couldn't disagree more with the italicized text.

Why in the world would you draw such a conclusion, other than because it is the outcome you prefer?

I am interpreting what you wrote to mean "Locker was bad, Allen will be very good."

Did you mean something else?  Did you mean Allen will equally flame out, but in a very different way?

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Nobody seems upset that Peterman is being run out of town after the same amount of games. I get it though, one wasn’t hyped to be our franchise guy.

Thank you.

I started pointing out this inconsistency last night.

I find it hilarious that the majority here suggests there is no way to know how Allen might turn out, and that he is likely to end up as our franchise guy, while it is clear Nate is a miserable failure and must be run out of town immediately.

Both QBs have played 5 games

I didn't write the post to start a movement of panic and to run Allen out of town.  I'm just concerned we haven't seen more to cling to, a defining moment as a passer, a spark that we can pull hope from and kick back like Aaron Rodgers and just RELAX.  I appreciate people referencing all-time great QBs and some early struggles they had, but were in a different league now.  WIth the NFL stealing plays from the college game we're seeing guys compete and be competent year one and two.  I just don't see players given three years to make it anymore.  If it hits the three-year mark and the jury is still out, the HC and GM are given the boot most likely if a corner hasn't been turned.  I just hope we're able to see a marked improvement moving forward.              

11 hours ago, jrober38 said:

When was the last time a total project like Allen worked out?

The cause for impatience is the fact that guys like Josh Allen never work out in the NFL. 

Project or No?

AFC East 

1. Brady - Not a project. Immediately outworked everyone in the building. 

*2. Tannehill - Project, converted college WR. He's been so-so in the NFL and probably not trending to be a winner. 

3. Darnold - Blue Chip talent, not a project

*4. Allen - Project. Drafted because he reminded our GM of Cam Newton

AFC North

1. Roethlisberger - Not a project, dominated the MAC

2. Flacco - Project pick from Delaware. Has been steady in the NFL and has one great Playoff run. 

3. Dalton - Not a project, great college career

4. Mayfield - #1 Pick in the Draft, not a project

AFC West 

1. Rivers - Not a project, #4 overall

2. Mahomes - Huge college numbers and strong arm, not a project

*3. Keenum - Career journeyman, project

4. Carr - Huge college numbers and family pedigree, not a project

AFC South

1. Luck - #1 overall, Blue Chip talent, not a project

2. Watson - National Champion in college and almost beat Alabama in another NCG

3. Mariota - #2 Overall and great college player

*4. Bortles - Label him a project, reach at #3

NFC East

*1. Wentz - Maybe a project, was a D2 player, but huge physical tools. 

*2. Prescott - Project probably, I remember him more as a runner at MSU

3. Smith - #1 Overall, disappointing early career, but not a project

4. Manning - #1 Overall, family lineage, not a project

NFC North

*1. Rodgers - Some of our fans label him as a project because he sat behind Favre and Packers built his mechanics supposedly.

2. Stafford - #1 Overall, not a project

*3. Turbisky - One year wonder in college, project

4. Cousins - Played for a major program and has put up some nice numbers in this league - not a project

NFC South 

1. Winston - #1 Overall and National Champion, not a project

2. Cam - #1 Overall and National Champion. Not a project.

3. Brees - 32nd pick in draft, small, but not a Project

4. Ryan - #3 Overall, not a project

NFC West 

*1. Wilson - Project. Small and 31 teams didn't believe in him. Including super smart Buddy Nix. 

2. Goff - #1 Overall, not a project

3. Rosen - Polished college passer, not a project

*4. Garrapolo - Project. Small school project, sat behind Brady and still not convinced he is going to work out

That's 10 Projects right now in the league if our fans want to count Rodgers. 

The Grading 

HOFers - Rodgers, Wilson

Worked Hands Down - Flacco, Wentz

Not Working - Tannehill, Keenum, Bortles, Garrapolo (hurt all the time)

Too Early - Prescott, Turbisky

Ridiculously Early - Allen

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Project or No?

Project QBs who need to learn how to throw accurately or run a pro offense rarely work out in the NFL.

For every successful guy, there were 10 who were completely useless. 

Allen would have made a good pick in the 4th round. For whatever reason we traded up and picked him 7th overall. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Project QBs who need to learn how to throw accurately or run a pro offense rarely work out in the NFL.

For every successful guy, there were 10 who were completely useless. 

Allen would have made a good pick in the 4th round. For whatever reason we traded up and picked him 7th overall. 

Glenn, #12, #53 and #56 

Our GM was convinced he'd be great. 

Still might be. But I would think by now you'd see signs, albeit erratic, that he might work. 

You'd see a 40 yard pass, then an ugly pick, followed by a bullet over the middle, then a pass out of bounds just high. 

Instead you are seeing inaccuracy and hesitancy to pull the trigger, an overwhelmingly stagnant offense. 

And that's been the model for Jauorn, Marrone, Rex and now McDermott. 

Play defense, punt, field position, running game, and hoping the other team makes a mistake.

Hard to win that way without all-time level of defense. 

11 hours ago, xsoldier54 said:

If you don't have the stomach to watch a rookie QB learn and grow, then you probably shouldn't be watching.  All rookies struggle and make mistakes.  Allen will be a very good QB in this league for a very long time.  This team ain't gonna win the SB this year anyway, so let's just have a little patience with him and see what he can become. 

I don't know if Allen will pan out but I honestly don't know what people expected Allen to look like 5 starts into his rookie year playing with a very very subpar supporting cast. Also the defense playing lights out makes Allen have to play a more conservative game plan. Overall Allen looks like a raw rookie with a high ceiling he may or may not be able to tap into. His performance is what should be expected. 

9 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't know if Allen will pan out but I honestly don't know what people expected Allen to look like 5 starts into his rookie year playing with a very very subpar supporting cast. Also the defense playing lights out makes Allen have to play a more conservative game plan. Overall Allen looks like a raw rookie with a high ceiling he may or may not be able to tap into. His performance is what should be expected. 

Ya blows my mind, I was just hoping we wouldn’t see games like Green Bay start after start. He has learned to deal with pressure a little better. It’s unfortunate that he gets hurt right after completing his best pass of the season. 

16 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

I told all of you he was injury prone after we drafted him and everyone was a sensitive Sally about it. This is now his 4th injury to his throwing shoulder/arm in the last 4 years. 

Amazing how many people in this thread are so interested in “proving” their draft day opinions right. Six games into his rookie season, with the worst talent to work with in the NFL...

3 hours ago, MichFan said:

Amazing how many people in this thread are so interested in “proving” their draft day opinions right. Six games into his rookie season, with the worst talent to work with in the NFL...

I'm not trying to prove *****, I'm just saying that when someone has a fact based opinion, "Josh Allen is the most injury prone QB in this draft" and everyone acts like rabid dogs because we are supposed to be on our knees for this front office, it's ***** annoying. 

Big boy shattered his shoulder twice, sprained the same arm, and now tore up the same elbow. Don't worry though, he jumped over Anthony Barr so we winning the Superbowl. 

Edited by Elite Poster

23 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

I meant more of a comparison of a QB who really struggled without weapons in his rookie year but turned it around his second year. You don't see it because you are rooting for him to fail so that you can proclaim that you were right all along. It's called confirmation bias. Every post you make is critical of Allen and you want to be shown to be correct.

No, your comparison is not a good one. The counterpoint, which was correct, was that Goff showed more ability and potential at all the same respective points than Allen ever has.

There is no evidence to this point that Allen is capable of making that jump.