Allen =Jake Locker 2.0?

YodaMan79

With the small sample size, we've been exposed to I'm trying to keep a positive perspective on Allen's future development.  I just can shake my biggest fear with this kid, I'm seeing too many parallels with Locker.  I know the supporting cast isn't great but we're not seeing much in terms of adjustment and reading what the D is going to give him.  I support the others that advocate for taking another QB, not in the first round, but one in the 2-4 range if they see something special.  I hope ego doesn't get in the way as it has with Peterman.  The Redeskins did it with a guy they sold their souls for, Cousins was an insurance policy.  WIth the line the way it is why is the OC not focusing on quick slants an out the backfield routes, or is Allen missing them?  TEs and RBs seem to be the safety blankets for young QBs, we're not seeing it here.  Those are two positions where the Bills actually talent.  Who knows...  

Much of the pre-draft analysis on Locker looks like this below.  It's hitting a little close to home.

STRENGTHS: Locker is tall enough with a sturdy muscular build and excellent athleticism for the position. Has a rocket arm to make all the throws and fits the ball into tight windows. Shows the ability to scan the field and check down with very good touch. Extremely mobile and can make plays with his feet. Fierce competitor and leader. 

WEAKNESSES:  Does not show the ability to consistently make his progressions and find the open man. Misses on too many throws and his accuracy can be erratic at times. Abandons the pass early and relies too much on his feet. Plays a bit recklessly and has missed a lot of games due to injury.

Just now, Success said:

I get why people make comparisons - but I cringe when I see them.

There is no set of cookie cutters for the QB position.  In the end, Allen will be his own QB, and likely a few light years from Locker

Why is it likely?

Thanks OP.  I wanted to start a thread comparing him to Locker about a week ago but just didn't have the energy. 

I hated Locker's game coming out of Washington and I hated when Tennessee took him at #8 overall.  I never saw what the experts saw in Locker and I told anyone that would listen that he would be a flop in the NFL.

Well, all his running around finally got himself injured...and he had to be placed on the IR.  When he was replaced, he ended up retiring early.

Just now, Bangarang said:

Why is it likely?

Because it usually is.  Taylor’s first year, it was all about Vick - because he ran.  He is nothing like Vick.

Not saying better or worse - just that everyone tends to be different.

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Because it usually is.  Taylor’s first year, it was all about Vick - because he ran.  He is nothing like Vick.

Not saying better or worse - just that everyone tends to be different.

I thought you meant he’d be light years better than Locker, my mistake 

Bills fans suck.

5 games in and the fan base has turned on Allen already. We all know he is a raw project with a high ceiling so he is going to need minimum 2 years. Just get used to it.

If you want to blame Beane/McDermott for not having a capable veteran in here than that is valid.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Mrbojanglezs said:

Bills fans suck.

5 games in and the fan base has turned on Allen already. We all know he is a raw project with a high ceiling so he is going to need minimum 2 years. Just get used to it.

If you want to blame Beane/McDermott for not having a capable veteran in here than that is valid.

So Culley is the guy to get him to that High Ceiling?  Daboll is that guy to get him to that High Ceiling?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

So Culley is the guy to get him to that High Ceiling?  Daboll is that guy to get him to that High Ceiling?

I have no idea. Culley sure as hell doesn't have a track record, that untimely falls on McDermott. Hopefully DA takes on more of that role in the coming weeks.

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I thought you meant he’d be light years better than Locker, my mistake 

Poorly worded on my part.  

I think it it could go either way with Allen.  I’m a little surprised at how many seem to be writing him off already.  Of course he could be a bust, but it’s so early.

I still have a lot of hope that he could work out.  I love his attitude and toughness, and that arm is electric if he can gain more control...

2 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Bills fans suck.

Nobody seems upset that Peterman is being run out of town after the same amount of games. I get it though, one wasn’t hyped to be our franchise guy.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Nobody seems upset that Peterman is being run out of town after the same amount of games. I get it though, one wasn’t hyped to be our franchise guy.

Peterman ahhh another QB that has been “Developed” by our WR coach playing QB coach