The blame lies squarely with the HC, FO & Refusal to build an Offense - Not Allen

With Allen's developmental issues, the offense has to be simplified for half-field reads and I would assume elementary play calls. If he is not moving around in the pocket well and having trouble making reads; the entire offense has to be dummed down for him.

32 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't think the front office "refused" to do anything. The salary cap did. And they still managed to build a pretty good defense. 

1). They traded up for Zay instead of staying out and picking JuJu or Cooper Kupp.

2). They thought Jordan Matthews could replace Sammy as a threat.

3). They picked 2 undersized slot receivers this year instead of taking a guy like ESB from Notre Dame who is 6’5” and had 80 yards last game.

4). They traded draft picks for Kelvin Benjamin.

5) they hired Dennison, fired him and Tyrod, hired Daboll and on a historically awful pace offensively.

6) they keep Peterman, nice guy, around to be terrible.

i know it’s cool to try and blame Whaley and the salary cap for all of the problems but it’s not true.  A lot of the offensive moves are self inflicted. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Sure. Glenn would be better than say Mills 

Sammy would add a better element than say I dont run routes Pre Game Benjamin. 

He walked. They wanted him at 3.5 a year. He walked. So yeah Still nothing. 

So i ask again. What have they dont ON OFFENSE that gives you confidence they know how to build one?

It would be great to keep all those underperforming players at top salaries, wouldn't it? 

Bottom line is that all the players who the team voluntarily cast off haven't done squat compared to their replacements.

It's still too early to call the finish game on offense because they spent the ammo on Allen.  I said above, the biggest mistake was not going after Bridgewater.  He would have won the starting job outright over Peterman.

Beane took a lot of flack for not being more aggressive in getting a vet QB this spring, yet all of those guys look like fools' gold right now.   This offense is suffering from only one glaring problem - the QB.  Allen shouldn't be on the field yet and Peterman sucks.  Everything else flows from there.

Well the majority of the draft picks and free agency money have been poured into defense the last two years.  I can see Beane drafting a db with the first pick in 2019.  Offense has no speed no quickness besides whatever McCoy has left.  They need to poach a young talented WR from a team that cant pay to keep him.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

These guys would've done the exact same thing the Jets did with Bridgewater had they signed him.

They obviously took stock in Petermans preseason performance so I have no doubt they would've traded Bridgewater in a heartbeat for a similar return that the Jets got for him.

They would have traded Bridgewater if he was as putrid as McCarron was in preseason.  Don't ignore that tidbit of history when formulating your opinion. 

I think the Bills had every intention of starting the season with McCarron and he failed spectacularly to win the job.

Bridgewater was the best QB in Jets' preseason games, while McCarron was the worst for the Bills.

2 minutes ago, GG said:

They would have traded Bridgewater if he was as putrid as McCarron was in preseason.  Don't ignore that tidbit of history when formulating your opinion. 

I think the Bills had every intention of starting the season with McCarron and he failed spectacularly to win the job.

Bridgewater was the best QB in Jets' preseason games, while McCarron was the worst for the Bills.

And Bridgewater is a much better QB then McCarron and put up decent #'s with Minn before the injury and being squeezed out.  The got another 5th round no talent in McCarron and still think highly of Peterman.  

No confidence whatsoever in the FO/Coach. 

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And Bridgewater is a much better QB then McCarron and put up decent #'s with Minn before the injury and being squeezed out.  The got another 5th round no talent in McCarron and still think highly of Peterman.  

No confidence whatsoever in the FO/Coach. 

There's no question that Bridgewater is better than McCarron and Peterman, if healthy.  But for that, you have to question almost every team's medical personnel for their concerns about his ability to play in 2018.   In a QB starved league, he went to the Jets as the #3 QB

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Look through the last two games and the offensive execution is offensive. I am not ready to blame Daboll. I don't think he has any talent to work with. These guys can't and don't do the basics. 

Oh I agree. I also think he is calling a very simplified offense for Allen, half-field reads, RPOs and such along with very basic routes. He has to be mitigating Allen's limited pocket movement and his inability/lack of speed to read a defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

As a fan since the mid 1960s I have seen my share of putrid Bills football.  This front office/HC team is building a solid defense.  More depth at LB and starting caliber CB will make them a top 10 defense.  The offense is in need of an infusion of talent.  I suspect the brain trust will focus their attention on upgrading through the draft and possibly mid level FA next off season. This offense is painful to watch.   WR is has only one guy I would keep, Zay Jones as a #3 slot guy.  The rest are expendable.  O line needs to be beefed up.  Protect the QB is a must since Allen is the future so take care of him. Pound the rock, run the clock and limit the throws until this young guy gets his sea legs as a NFL QB.  I give this front office an other off season to turn this around and improve. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dopey said:

That last sentence is EPIC. 17 years and we make the playoffs and you're complaining about it. Let me guess, you kneeled to the floor yelling "noooo! We can't get in this way!!" When Cincy scored that td.

Give it a rest already. Trust me, he respects himself and doesn't care if you don't.

No one's complaining about the result from last season. I'm certainly not. And this is a message board, not McCoach's Twitter feed, so I don't care what he thinks.  I was talking about how they were a really mediocre team that lucked into the playoffs.

This is a rebuild going nowhere.  They've misfired at the QB, spent a ton on defense, and still don't field anything resembling a modern offense. As to the thread subject, they've built nothing on offense and their major accomplishment has been the mere drafting of a QB in the 1st round.  That's it. Otherwise, in rebuild year 2, this is the lowest scoring team in the NFL through 6 weeks. Let that sink in and then tell me they're making progress. 

Now, cue the "rebuilds take time" mantra. Yeah, they do. They take a lot longer when the "process" is flawed from inception. 

18 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Oh I agree. I also think he is calling a very simplified offense for Allen, half-field reads, RPOs and such along with very basic routes. He has to be mitigating Allen's limited pocket movement and his inability/lack of speed to read a defense. 

Remember how Nate Hackett was vilified when he ran the Bills offense?

It was very similar in what he had to do to dumb the game down for EJ.  Suddenly when Tuel & Lewis came in, the offense opened up.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nitro said:

As a fan since the mid 1960s I have seen my share of putrid Bills football.  This front office/HC team is building a solid defense.  More depth at LB and starting caliber CB will make them a top 10 defense.  The offense is in need of an infusion of talent.  I suspect the brain trust will focus their attention on upgrading through the draft and possibly mid level FA next off season. This offense is painful to watch.   WR is has only one guy I would keep, Zay Jones as a #3 slot guy.  The rest are expendable.  O line needs to be beefed up.  Protect the QB is a must since Allen is the future so take care of him. Pound the rock, run the clock and limit the throws until this young guy gets his sea legs as a NFL QB.  I give this front office an other off season to turn this around and improve. 

We'll see . I hope Beane has a much better plan for offense for 2019  .  He needs to upgrade at minimum T and the two WR on the outside. Have some provisions in mind  They way they handled qb this year was pretty terrible 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DuckyBoys said:

We'll see . I hope Beane has a much better plan for offense for 2019  .  He needs to upgrade at minimum T and the two WR on the outside. Have some provisions in mind  They way they handled qb this year was pretty terrible 

The QB situation is a mess.  

37 minutes ago, GG said:

I think this is basically right, but what I focus on is judging Peterman on preseason games. McCarron is actually a serviceable backup and has proven it in real-live NFL games. Preseason performances can only tell you so much, especially at the QB position when defenses are very vanilla. They should have realized that, but they learned the hard way that Peterman is the same guy they put out on the field in real games last year (outside of garbage time v. New Orleans, which was basically a preseason level game by that point).  

5 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Why the hate for Allen?  This staff & FO have done nothing to help Josh.  The playcalling and game plans are stuck in the 70's.  McDermott & McBeane have abandoned the offense and in their stupidity had Peterman as the starter and Allen's mentor.  Now they bring in another back-up with at least some experience, but little else.  

I watched yesterday and again Allen looked okay, but was playing against a stacked deck that this Bills organization is to blame for.  

BTW the two passes to KB were great along with that cross body to McCoy.  

Not much however one can do with coaches who refuse to acknowledge and have players or a system that wins games in today's NFL.

who hates allen? only the schmucks that like to clutter the board do with their agendas and haven't the patience to see this pan out. anyone with any common sense can see this team is in its second year of a rebuild that should and likely will address the offensive side of the ball this off season in the draft and FA.

if they don't, then one can start to show some real concern?

14 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think this is basically right, but what I focus on is judging Peterman on preseason games. McCarron is actually a serviceable backup and has proven it in real-live NFL games. Preseason performances can only tell you so much, especially at the QB position when defenses are very vanilla. They should have realized that, but they learned the hard way that Peterman is the same guy they put out on the field in real games last year (outside of garbage time v. New Orleans, which was basically a preseason level game by that point).  

I think their plan was MCCaron all the way  I wonder what he did to get run out so quick.  I cant believe they honestly thought Peterman was a better option  Looking back they should have named Mccaron the guy day one and stuck with it or give all the reps to Allen   The wishy washy decision making led to the mess on offense along with not bringing in any help

48 minutes ago, GG said:

Remember how Nate Hackett was vilified when he ran the Bills offense?

It was very similar in what he had to do to dumb the game down for EJ.  Suddenly when Tuel & Lewis came in, the offense opened up.  

Shudders at the thoughts of all of those names...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1