Peterman Pick 6

Protocal69

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Rob Johnson played great in that playoff game. Your blinding hate for him refuses to see it.

Go re-watch the game.  Nothing about Rob Johnson's performance in that game was great.   He looked lost all day.   He salvaged a decent late drive to put us ahead and that was the only positive he had all game.  Besides that, the dude was complete garbage for 3.5 quarters.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SMAKCruiser said:

Go re-watch the game.  Nothing about Rob Johnson's performance in that game was great.   He looked lost all day.   He salvaged a decent late drive to put us ahead and that was the only positive he had all game.  Besides that, the dude was complete garbage for 3.5 quarters.   

Did you see the state of the OL?  And that he left the field with the lead?

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Did you see the state of the OL?  And that he left the field with the lead?

It was pretty much the same OL they trotted out there all year.   It wasn't like they had 5 new starters for the game.   Did they play great in the game? No.   Just because a QB left the field with the lead does not mean he played great in the game.   The only reason the game was even close was because of the defensive unit.  

41 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Yea - they should have taken a knee and played to lose in OT....maybe even punt on 1st down hoping the D pulls out the game.

Are you prone to hyperbole or just blind to situational football? The strength of the team yesterday, and since the second half of the Chargers game, has been the defense. You’re in a tie game with 1:43 left and no timeouts, your defense is playing lights out, your best player on offense is McCoy, your WRs suck, and your second string QB, who doesn’t have a shred of NFL talent, is in the game. What’s the surest bet, put it in the hands of your defense and running game, just like last week, or put it in the hands of someone who doesn’t belong in the NFL?

• Thank you (+1) 1

More arm strength would be a nice to have but I don't think that was the main problem. Given the poor execution by both NP and KB I doubt that Josh would have completed that pass. In JA's WYO tape I have seen him make the same mistake and get picked (against Iowa I think). The real problem is that this was from the get go in effect single read execution from the looks of it. I don't know if this is Daboll or NP or maybe a toxic combo of both.  NP hard wired his intention to make that throw from the snap, immediately turning his head to the side KB was lined up on and never looking anywhere else. The second he did that the safety broke to back up Joseph. The Texans therefore clearly schemed for this. 

NP did not make the appropriate post snap read. Drew Bree's would have likely turned this into a big gainer for the Bills, not because of arm strength, but because he would have picked up right away on the post snap coverage and made the Texans pay big time by hitting a receiver in the seam or an outside guy downfield the near sideline. 

So as with most young QBs (be it Josh or NP) the real question is whether they can learn to see the whole field, make the right pre and post snap reads, go through their progressions all the while processing the info quickly, and make the correct decisions. 

4 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

We do nothing to create mismatches we don’t have crossing routes, motion that continues till ball is snapped, quick slants, screens, or any other plays that resemble a NFL offense 

100% this and I absolutely do not understand it AT ALL.  I swear that I can count the number of screen plays run all year on one hand, and a bunch have been slow developing ones to Clay, not Shady.

With a young QB...hell with any QB...shouldn't a huge majority of plays have an option or crossing route?  I've been watching Brady throw an option to a little WR or shifty RB for 17 freaking years but the Bills can't do it.

Talent is sub-par on offense but the offensive scheme thus far has been absolutely dreadful thus far.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, SMAKCruiser said:

It was pretty much the same OL they trotted out there all year.   It wasn't like they had 5 new starters for the game.   Did they play great in the game? No.   Just because a QB left the field with the lead does not mean he played great in the game.   The only reason the game was even close was because of the defensive unit.  

Yeah no, it pretty much wasn't.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

By the time the open slot guy turns for the ball, Peterman will be wearing red.

Plus, by the time Peterman's hypothetical throw gets to the "open" slot guy, the safety will have come over to make a play on the ball.  A lot of armchair QBs seem to think that NFL QBs are capable of teleporting the ball to the WR instantaneously.

3 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

The thing I'll never understand about this is why in the world would you even give NP the option to throw an out? As soon as he got in the game that play calling sheet should have been limited to only slants, drags, screens and the occasional medium/deep sideline shot. This was the most predictable outcome of all time. 

Not only that. But deep in their zone with so little time to go and a suspect backup QB just thrown in the game, wouldn't it make more sense to try to RUN  the clock out and go for OT? Even without the pick, they chose passes, the play before was an incomplete pass and stopped the clock. With how "unspecial" the special teams have been, try to run for a 1st down, go to OT. But yeah, and out route for Peterman, damn. The Bills QBs aren't the best but the coaches - and GM - don't help them out!

1 hour ago, Cash said:

Plus, by the time Peterman's hypothetical throw gets to the "open" slot guy, the safety will have come over to make a play on the ball.  A lot of armchair QBs seem to think that NFL QBs are capable of teleporting the ball to the WR instantaneously.

John Elway and Jeff George immediately come to mind. In the "modern" era !@#$ing brady...

28 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

That pick six is completely on Peterman and his weak arm. That being said, how come Jones didnt sit down in the open area or slant to the area left by the blitzer? 

Given the post snap coverage I don't think arm strength was the problem. NP simply was oblivious to two visual clues post snap: safety moving over to back up Joseph and, more importantly, that Joseph did not at all buy into a go/deeper route feint. He stays put and never takes a backward step. That's a big red stop sign right there regardless of who your QB is and Nate drove right through it. Given Joseph's position post snap and with all of the action in front of him it was an easy play for an experienced DB. Really ps-poor execution by NP.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1