Allen looked very good today

20 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

Yeah. At this point I’m very low on him. Don’t think he is progressing. Just don’t see anything promising to hang my hat on at this point. I think it was Darnold or bust and we busted 

Darnold or bust? 

Mayfield has shown the most of all of them so far.

Rosen has looked fantastic.  We could have had him probably without trading up as much.

They can partially right this wrong by taking a top QB next year as well, especially if we finish with a horrible record and pick, say, top 3.

The problem is they won't take another QB unless they are ordered to do so by Pegula, and that is probably unlikely.

28 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

I would not call it "good" but at the same time, I think he is playing smarter than before. He has a lot to work on. I think some of the regression people are  seeing in certain areas is because he's trying to focus on fixing other things, but the only thing we can do is remain hopeful because we are all-in on this guy like it or not and hopefully by next year when we improve his supporting cast, we will see it all coming together.  REALLY hoping that he can play against the Colts next week because it is completely reasonable to expect 200+ yards passing against that defense and he needs that type of game in order to build some momentum for himself and continue to grow.  

No, the regression comes from DCs getting tape and making adjustments to take away what he does well. Its pretty common to see with rookie QBs.

Just now, matter2003 said:

No, the regression comes from DCs getting tape and making adjustments to take away what he does well. Its pretty common to see with rookie QBs.

I'm talking about how we saw improvement with his footwork in the pre-season and early on in the regular season and then it regressed.  That's on Allen to me.

10 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

I'm talking about how we saw improvement with his footwork in the pre-season and early on in the regular season and then it regressed.  That's on Allen to me.

Ehh..maybe. Maybe its his first read not being there anymore and him having to reset. Honestly its kind of hard to really judge much with our lack of any real weapons on offense and our questionable at best OLine.

Edited by matter2003

Don't know...Allen hasn't shown much improvement since week 2 but he doesn't have much help either.  This WR group is the worst in the NFL by far.

He's holding onto the ball way too long...but is that because he is indecisive or because the WR's aren't getting open? Probably both.

Edited by Azucho98

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Darnold or bust? 

Rosen has looked fantastic.  We could have had him probably without trading up as much.

They can partially right this wrong by taking a top QB next year as well, especially if we finish with a horrible record and pick, say, top 3.

The problem is they won't take another QB unless they are ordered to do so by Pegula, and that is probably unlikely.

Mayfield really?  See his numbers today?  He will get figured out as a qb that can't sit in the pocket to make throws.  It's already happening.  Sub 50% completions today.  Rosen is who I wanted but it's not like he's killing it either.  Allen is our guy.  The problem is he needed to have a veteran show him the way the first year and work his way in the second.  The coaching staff has been the disappointment.  They traded the veteran away and thought Peterman could start the season.  Turned out to be a horrible decision.  It doesn't help that our receivers absolutely suck.  I don't even think the line is that bad but there is just nobody to throw to.  Allen needed at least the year and unfortunately this is what you get when you start a guy too early.

Just a guess, but maybe Allen is looking for guys to be “college open” and that’s why we see so much hesitation. Once he learns and gets comfortable with the smaller windows in the NFL (or gets an insane weapon like tyreek hill) we’ll see some drastic improvement.

1 hour ago, BobBelcher said:

That one hurts, and it'll hurt forever, but Rosen bothers me a lot more... because we were taking a QB for sure and he was there for the taking and just a year before taking Allen we drafted Peterman because of his supposed "NFL readiness" yet I guess that factor was not in play when choosing our franchise QB.  I'm still willing to defend allen at this point and give him the rest of this season, but my god, I'll never get over that pick with Rosen on the board.

What made it worse is that both of them are named Josh. I went from yelling yes on the first name to being like wtf on the last name.

That's on me though, I should have accounted for that. Sort of like they should have accounted for a back up QB.

They're a !@#$ing joke.

3 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Just a guess, but maybe Allen is looking for guys to be “college open” and that’s why we see so much hesitation. Once he learns and gets comfortable with the smaller windows in the NFL (or gets an insane weapon like tyreek hill) we’ll see some drastic improvement.

I'm not done with him, I'm holding out hope because I have to. I'm nervous about that kind of development happening. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

Great throw to Benjamin, his best throw all year. Ashame that's the play he got hurt on. Hopefully it's just a bone bruise. He scrambled well. Get him a line and some weapons, we are off to the races. 

Even happier watching Mayfield and Rosen stink it up. Darnold looked pretty good, I always had him and Allen as the top guys.

Those BuffaloBud420s must smoke up good and smoothly, but sneak up on you to deliver one helluva punch!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

Just as good as any of the other rookie QBs. He has the worse line and weapons out of the bunch too

That is absolutely not true.  In your mind it might be true because you want it to be true, but not in reality.

• Like (+1) 1

At this point you have to wonder if that elbow is beyond bruised, a ligament or muscle tear type of injury that would require surgery, would Allen’s “elite” arm ever be the same? My thinking is it would be too risky not to draft a QB. If indeed Allen is out for an extended period this team must sign another QB & the best player available is Colin Kaepernick. I’ve made the argument last week his skillset is perfect in Daboll’s RPO heavy offense. 

6 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

At this point you have to wonder if that elbow is beyond bruised, a ligament or muscle tear type of injury that would require surgery, would Allen’s “elite” arm ever be the same? My thinking is it would be too risky not to draft a QB. If indeed Allen is out for an extended period this team must sign another QB & the best player available is Colin Kaepernick. I’ve made the argument last week his skillset is perfect in Daboll’s RPO heavy offense. 

Sounds rather dramatic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Darnold or bust? 

If you watched Rosen's starts and still think he has looked "fantastic," then you are engaging in the same "rose colored glasses" evaluation you incessantly accuse Allen supporters of. Not surprising...

#confirmationbias

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I recall 3 beautiful passes where  -if not for insidious penalties- would have completely turned the game in our favor and added at least 100 yards. I see continual improvement in Allen but it’s slow and sometimes hard to watch.

Bills shouldn’t have committed penalties on the plays to negate them, hopefully they resolve that soon 

• Like (+1) 1

About once per game he takes a deep shot down the field.  If my recollection is correct, not one of these long passes (going back to exhibition games) came within 5 yards of the intended receiver.  Tyrod, with a weaker arm, threw a much better deep ball.

Also, that throw at Clay's feet in the 1st quarter (when he was open) was shocking.

Sadly and reluctantly, I'm beginning to think that the criticism of Josh coming out of college was accurate.

Also (sorry to burst through an open door) - has the QBs coach ever coached QBs before at any level?  I think not, he's a WR coach.  Good but very belated move to have Anderson around.

7 hours ago, LFC24 said:

had had 10 completions for 80 yards lol. 1 good throw doesn't negate the multiple games of poor QB play. 

he was bad. i don't understand this "he needs better weapons" argument. who is Darnold throwing to? The Jets offense is not much better than ours. 

May be they have better coaching that is putting the kid in position to make plays. 

7 hours ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

Great throw to Benjamin, his best throw all year. Ashame that's the play he got hurt on. Hopefully it's just a bone bruise. He scrambled well. Get him a line and some weapons, we are off to the races. 

Even happier watching Mayfield and Rosen stink it up. Darnold looked pretty good, I always had him and Allen as the top guys.

latest?cb=20160902074547

• Haha (+1) 1