Allen looked very good today

13 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

What’s scary is that in a league that now heavily favors the QB Allen’s numbers are horrid!

Josh Allen in 6 games:

75/139 (54%), 2 TDs, 5 INTs, 832 yds (6.0 YPA), 21 sacks.  He's also run the ball 35 times for 155 yards, 3 TDs, and fumbled 3 times.

Very, very similar to Jared Goff in 2016, whose first 7 games looked like this:

112/205 (54.6%), 5 TDs, 7 INTs, 1,089 yards (5.3 YPA), 26 sacks.  Of course, Goff only had 8 rushes for 16 yards with 1 TD and fumbled 5 times too.

Mitchell Trubisky is another very apt comparison...his first 7 games looked like this:

94/178 (52.8%), 4 TDs, 4 INTs, 1,135 yds (6.4 YPA), 19 sacks.  He was better rushing than Goff, having 25 rushes for 175 yads, though he scored 0 TDs and fumbled 6 times.

Hmmm...maybe Allen just looks like a rookie, and not like the worst thing ever to happen to football...possible?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’ve been watching Mahomes and Darnold highlights, and they seem to be throwing to WR’s who are WIDE open all over the field! It’s like we are playing a different sport! 

Because they are gaining offensive yards by passing the ball?  I thought you couldn’t do that. 

18 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Josh Allen in 6 games:

75/139 (54%), 2 TDs, 5 INTs, 832 yds (6.0 YPA), 21 sacks.  He's also run the ball 35 times for 155 yards, 3 TDs, and fumbled 3 times.

112/205 (54.6%), 5 TDs, 7 INTs, 1,089 yards (5.3 YPA), 26 sacks.  Of course, Goff only had 8 rushes for 16 yards with 1 TD and fumbled 5 times too.

Mitchell Trubisky is another very apt comparison...his first 7 games looked like this:

94/178 (52.8%), 4 TDs, 4 INTs, 1,135 yds (6.4 YPA), 19 sacks.  He was better rushing than Goff, having 25 rushes for 175 yads, though he scored 0 TDs and fumbled 6 times.

Hmmm...maybe Allen just looks like a rookie, and not like the worst thing ever to happen to football...possible?

Why are you bringing reason into the equation?  On with the torches and pitchforks

199.jpg

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Josh Allen in 6 games:

While this is true, those guys were also much, much better players in their last year of college than Allen in much better conferences. MT, who has his own question marks, completed 68% of his passes for a 30 td/ 6 int split.  Goff competed 65% for 43 tds/ 13 ints.  A little different than 56% for 16 tds/ 6 ints in the MWC.

additonally, they both had their defensive coach fired for young offensive coaches from very successful offenses.  We still have a defensive coach and an OC who has been bottom 5-10 OC at every stop he’s been at.

i was ready to move on from Tyrod.  I was ready for growing pains.  But Allen is going to be heavily criticized because the overwhelming evidence is qbs with his deficiencies fail at extremely high rate.  And having a coach like McDermott and Daboll doesn’t make you feel much better.  

I really hope hope he turns out to be the answer but man, was this an insanely risky pick. 

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

While this is true, those guys were also much, much better players in their last year of college than Allen in much better conferences. MT, who has his own question marks, completed 68% of his passes for a 30 td/ 6 int split.  Goff competed 65% for 43 tds/ 13 ints.  A little different than 56% for 16 tds/ 6 ints in the MWC.

additonally, they both had their defensive coach fired for young offensive coaches from very successful offenses.  We still have a defensive coach and an OC who has been bottom 5-10 OC at every stop he’s been at.

i was ready to move on from Tyrod.  I was ready for growing pains.  But Allen is going to be heavily criticized because the overwhelming evidence is qbs with his deficiencies fail at extremely high rate.  And having a coach like McDermott and Daboll doesn’t make you feel much better.  

I really hope hope he turns out to be the answer but man, was this an insanely risky pick. 

Almost everything you say is indeed factually correct--drafting Allen, however, is in no way risky.  They spent two 2nd-round picks to get him...if it doesn't work, the team drafts another QB in 2020.  No big deal.

I wonder about the conclusion you're trending toward though...since Allen had bigger deficiencies than the two QBs I mentioned, should we be more or less encouraged by the fact that he's performing in similar fashion to those guys in his first 1/3 of a season?

I will tell you, however,  that there's no reason to believe that Allen is going to benefit from creative, forward-thinking offensive coaching the way the other 2 did. Of course, an off-season of aggressive offensive acquisitions can change that quickly, but we shall see.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think Allen looked good, but I don't think he looked bad either.  I know there's a big lack of yards but it seems from watching that most of the plays called seem to be outside 5 yard pass plays.   The OC needs to open the playbook up and let Allen throw it downfield more, and let him make mistakes.  

2 minutes ago, dakrider said:

I don't think Allen looked good, but I don't think he looked bad either.  I know there's a big lack of yards but it seems from watching that most of the plays called seem to be outside 5 yard pass plays.   The OC needs to open the playbook up and let Allen throw it downfield more, and let him make mistakes.  

He can’t read a defense and has poor pocket awareness. Long developing plays is a recipe for disaster especially for a coach that preaches ball security. He’s being given what the coaching staff feels he’s capable of handling and even that is still unimpressive.

9 hours ago, AllenWillBust said:

Allen is a bust, you just have to face facts.  If you want to cheerlead for the next 1.5 seasons, that's fine, you'll eventually realize what smart people knew on draft night.

I wouldn't put him as a lock in the Hall of Fame yet.

But it's good to know you have a positive outlook!

I thought his play was improved from the Titans game.  He attempted several intermmediate/long passes and was accurate on at least some of them.  He is still taking too much time on a number of plays.  Daboll is stil not placing a lot of trust in him.

Earlier I was asked to explain why I thought Allen showed progress today vs.  the Packers, his worst game.  So I've gone through passing plays from the game to see how I think he did.  My focus was how accurate he was and whether I felt he was making quicker decisions pre-snapand where to go with the ball. Was he decisive, did he make his read and get the ball out.  Things like that.  With that said,  here we go.  And I would love to have some feedback and discussion vs.  the "he sucks" kind of stuff.

1st quarter,

Drive 1

1.  Horrible throw to Clay.  Not even close.  Just awful.

2.  Throw to McCoy.  Hung in pocket for a good amount of time, good escape, risky pass back across but his arm strength is an asset there

3.  2nd pass to Clay.  Decisive read and very accurate.

4.  Swing to Clay.  Again decisive, pass was a little low

5.  Benjamin:  long pass into double coverage. Threw it long.  Better long than short into the double coverage- I think he wanted to put it up high for Benjamin to go get but was too long

6.  Over the middle to Zay.  I think if Zay didn't get tackled it's completed.  Again made his read quickly and got the ball out.

Second Drive

1.  Went through progression to two guys, saw nothing, got yardage scrambling up the middle

2.  Sacked.  Looked at his first read and rush was getting to him.  Thought he might have had more time to maybe get to a second read but I didn't see a safety valve.  But did not try to spin out backwards or make an ill conceived desperation throw like against the Pack

Third Drive

1.  Quick out to Ray Ray.  Decisive and on target.  Gets criticized for not being accurate on short throws but was right on the money.

2.  Bullet to Clay.  Again decisive and right on target, fit between two defenders.

3.  Rushed by Watt.  Going backward threw to sideline for no gain.  Showed his arm strength but not a great decision, should have just thrown it away.

4.  Short pass to Clay.  Went through progression to second read.  Short no gain.  Not much to say.

5.  Sideline to James.  Low and outside where only Zay could get it.  Placement was the right idea but could have been a bit higher.  May also been a timing thing with Zay not getting to the spot quicker.

Fourth Drive.

1.  Quick out to Benjamin.  Again a decisive read and on target throw.

2.  Runs for first down but holding negated play.  Thought he locked into his first read too long.

3.  Sack by Watt.  Kept his head up looking for an open guy, eyes were not down looking for rushers as he's done sometimes.  Needed to sense it more and throw the ball away.

Fifth Drive:  the swing to Shady to close the half.  Nothing remarkable either way.

So looking at this half, when I say I saw improvement, I saw him being more decisive with the ball, which to me means his pre-snap thought process was improved.  He was generally more accurate, and while he should be with short throws that is one of the criticisms he gets.

Need to do the third quarter but have to make the birthday dinner for the daughter.  Would like to get others' thoughts.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1