Allen looked very good today

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I would be too.  You know that some people here would focus on the pick.

Give the kid time.  I see evidence the game is starting to slow down for him. 

Like what?

What specific plays from yesterday suggest the game is slowing down for him?

38 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

Did you watch the f****** game or are you just looking at stats? It was clearly his best game. This thread is baffling to me.

I can’t tell if this is sarcastic or not.  I watched the entire game.  I’ve also watched other football games.  Nothing about yesterday was good.  He made 2 good passes. 

I think Bills fans are suffering Stockholm syndrome for years of bad offensive football.  

39 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Some names for you:

Dan Darraugh

Vince Ferregamo

Just for starters.  You can probably fill in a lot more if you give it some thought.

They were before my time but I would imagine they would have faired better in today’s nfl.  It has never been easier to be a nfl QB (which is still the hardest job in sports).

42 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I am being realistic.  Mahomes looks really good to be sure.  Coming out he had a lot of doubters because of his footwork, playing in a single read spread offense and such but the kid is a stud so far.  But the realism is truly this:  if things were changed around and the Bills had lost the same way to the Patriots as the Chiefs did last night, Allen would be getting roasted for throwing that pick vs. all the good things.

It is what Bills fans do.  They all think the next guy is going to be Kelly, and if the guy they bring in does not immediately ring forth images of Jimbo, they guy is a bum who will never make it.  Can you imagine what some Bills fans would have said if w e had gotten Darnold and he threw a pick 6 his first pass, like he did with the Jets?  He would have been immediately declared a bust by some, and that would have been it.

For me personally, Allen is exactly what I thought he would be and it’s why I didn’t want us to pick him.  His weaknesses are the ones that are very difficult to overcome.  I mean we’re stuck with him and he should get 2 years but he is making EJ’s rookie year look amazing. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Beyond any stats, what did he do well?

He didn’t ? his pants.  

I will say he looks the part minus the passing part.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I can’t tell if this is sarcastic or not.  I watched the entire game.  I’ve also watched other football games.  Nothing about yesterday was good.  He made 2 good passes. 

I think Bills fans are suffering Stockholm syndrome for years of bad offensive football.  

They were before my time but I would imagine they would have faired better in today’s nfl.  It has never been easier to be a nfl QB (which is still the hardest job in sports).

Ferragamo was bad for the Bills, but he also qb'd in a Super Bowl, and in 1980 his team went 11-4 when he started and he threw 30 TDs, 19 INTs, and averaged 7.9 YPA. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

For me personally, Allen is exactly what I thought he would be and it’s why I didn’t want us to pick him.  His weaknesses are the ones that are very difficult to overcome.  I mean we’re stuck with him and he should get 2 years but he is making EJ’s rookie year look amazing. 

The difference here is that EJ started in 4 bowl games at FSU and played with and around NFL talent.  He had Stevie Johnson, Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, and other real NFL players at this disposal.

It shouldn't surprise you that EJ came into the league at his ceiling and bottomed out quickly, much like it shouldn't surprise you that Allen is coming into the NFL at his floor.  Playing 2 years at Wyoming before starting as a rookie while being surrounded by borderline NFL players isn't going to result in him looking like a guy that started 4 bowl games at FSU and was surrounded by legit NFL talent.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's a lot of space in between "not happy with every move the Bills have made", and pronouncing a rookie QB a bust after 5 games.

There's a good bit of additional space between pronouncing him  a bust, and prospectively proclaiming him such in one's screen name.

So if Allen busts, and McBeane gets canned, were those fans trolls after all?

Were the Losman and EJ haters trolls, or did they have a point that most Bills fans did not want to hear because it upset their echo chamber?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, AllenWillBust said:

Were the Losman and EJ haters trolls, or did they have a point that most Bills fans did not want to hear because it upset their echo chamber?

if somebody is proclaiming any player a bust 5 games in, they're ignorant. whether the troll-ish remarks pan out or not. its still dumb to make proclamations so early.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

if somebody is proclaiming any player a bust 5 games in they're ignorant. whether the troll-ish remarks pan out or not. its still dumb to make proclamations so early.

What if they knew the player was a bust before they even suited up to play in the NFL?  Isn't this what talent evaluation is for? Why some teams pick different players given the opportunity?

Edited by AllenWillBust
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, AllenWillBust said:

What if they knew the player was a bust before they even suited up to play in the NFL?  Isn't this what talent evaluation is for? Why some teams pick different players given the opportunity?

don't pretend you know if a player will bust or not. I always get a chuckle out of the people that "know". i'd be willing to bet for every dumb premature proclamation you have gotten right you have about 5 that were wrong. that's the nature of the league. even the guys that know don't really know.

comical.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

4 minutes ago, AllenWillBust said:

No correlation there.  It’s way to early for anyone to conclude anything.  

9 minutes ago, AllenWillBust said:

They didn't.

You don't "know"...you might believesupposepredict, or even staunchly assert the opinion that a guy will bust.

To say you "know" is quite simply lying.

For example, back in June of 2016, I predicted (actually, the terminology I used was "feel like") that Patrick Mahomes would be "special".  I could be on this board pounding my chest about how I "knew"...but the thing is, I didn't.  I believed that he would be special, but I'm not so self-aggrandizing that I'd say that I knew.

Edited by thebandit27

This year is gonna be rough, I think you let Allen play if he is able so he can get the reps and hopefully that helps slow the game down for him. Give him some looks at different defensive coverages and just keep working on pre-snap adjustments. 

I'm interested in seeing how he progresses the rest of this year, I think he will show a lot more improvement next season after going through this season and then OTAs and training camp.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I am being realistic.  Mahomes looks really good to be sure.  Coming out he had a lot of doubters because of his footwork, playing in a single read spread offense and such but the kid is a stud so far.  But the realism is truly this:  if things were changed around and the Bills had lost the same way to the Patriots as the Chiefs did last night, Allen would be getting roasted for throwing that pick vs. all the good things.

It is what Bills fans do.  They all think the next guy is going to be Kelly, and if the guy they bring in does not immediately ring forth images of Jimbo, they guy is a bum who will never make it.  Can you imagine what some Bills fans would have said if w e had gotten Darnold and he threw a pick 6 his first pass, like he did with the Jets?  He would have been immediately declared a bust by some, and that would have been it.

Mahomes threw a dumb Int before the half and if Allen did that and still put up 40pts, I think people would be fine....I know I would. I just want to see this dude get better and stop missing wide open Wr's....Every QB misses open targets, I've sat in the stands and watch Gronk run wide open down the middle of the field and Brady not see him BUT Brady had 400yds that Day....Allen has to be better.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jaywrizzo said:

Mahomes threw a dumb Int before the half and if Allen did that and still put up 40pts, I think people would be fine....I know I would. I just want to see this dude get better and stop missing wide open Wr's....Every QB misses open targets, I've sat in the stands and watch Gronk run wide open down the middle of the field and Brady not see him BUT Brady had 400yds that Day....Allen has to be better.

I agree Allen needs to improve.  I suspect if you asked Allen, he would say he needs to improve.  But he has played less than half an NFL season.

The last rookie QB I can remember that walked in and actually played great was Dan Marino.