Joe B & Matt Fairburn: The Bills Have Mismanaged The QB Situation

W...wait...what?  Really?  The Bills have mismanaged the QB situation?  A team that has so far signed three veteran QBs, traded two of them, and played a raw rookie and a wet rag has mismanged the QB situation?  Seriously?  Why is this the first we're hearing about it????

• Haha (+1) 5

Buffalo invested alot in Allen.  What has McDermott done to help him?  It's crazy how he treated Edumonds and Allen completely opposite.  Same draft, both traded up for. Both raw and freakishly athletic.  The LB he plugs in immediately and groomed him to run his defense.  The qb he put at 3rd string and never named him the starting Qb until his guy failed.  No experienced Qb coach, no experience on the roster to help him.  I firmly believe Pegula is watching Mahomes, Goff, and Trubisky, thinking if McDermott will ever facilitate that for Allen.  McDermott's actions to me looks like a coach who was given a Qb he didn't really want. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

This is half-serious.  Can someone please tell me the last time the Bills CORRECTLY managed the QB situation?  It wasn't when the passed on Bridgewater.  It wasn't when they picked Manuel.  It wasn't when they cut Fitzpatrick.  It wasn't when they traded a #1 for a washed up Bledsoe.  It wasn't when they picked Losman.  It wasn't when they traded a top ten picked for Rob Johnson.  It wasn't when they gave a huge contract to Johnson for no reason.  It wasn't when they passed on Drew Brees to pick yet another DB.   It wasn't when they lost Jim Kelly to the USFL for THREE years.  It wasn't when they traded Lamonica to the Raiders.  OK, now I've made myself depressed.  Sorry.

sometimes the more things change the more the stay the same....then u have teams that qbs just fall into their laps, one after another.

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

This is half-serious.  Can someone please tell me the last time the Bills CORRECTLY managed the QB situation?  It wasn't when the passed on Bridgewater.  It wasn't when they picked Manuel.  It wasn't when they cut Fitzpatrick.  It wasn't when they traded a #1 for a washed up Bledsoe.  It wasn't when they picked Losman.  It wasn't when they traded a top ten picked for Rob Johnson.  It wasn't when they gave a huge contract to Johnson for no reason.  It wasn't when they passed on Drew Brees to pick yet another DB.   It wasn't when they lost Jim Kelly to the USFL for THREE years.  It wasn't when they traded Lamonica to the Raiders.  OK, now I've made myself depressed.  Sorry.

It wasn´t when they picked T.J. Graham over Russell Wilson...

58 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Buffalo invested alot in Allen.  What has McDermott done to help him?  It's crazy how he treated Edumonds and Allen completely opposite.  Same draft, both traded up for. Both raw and freakishly athletic.  The LB he plugs in immediately and groomed him to run his defense.  The qb he put at 3rd string and never named him the starting Qb until his guy failed.  No experienced Qb coach, no experience on the roster to help him.  I firmly believe Pegula is watching Mahomes, Goff, and Trubisky, thinking if McDermott will ever facilitate that for Allen.  McDermott's actions to me looks like a coach who was given a Qb he didn't really want. 

This is what happens when you hire a neanderthal defensive mind who thinks that the way to win in the high octane 2018 NFL is to build a defense and run the ball. But, hell, let me check the tape first...I might be wrong.

When you watch Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott make personnel moves, they usually seem to have a patient/confident/controlled manner on dealing with things.  Even when they make unpopular transactions (such as trading Sammy Watkins), there is sense of wisdom behind the decision.  And most of the time, they have proven to be right with how they have handled the roster.  You almost get a sense of their "master plan" being slowly put into place.

The obvious exception has been with the Quarterback position.  Instead of patient, confident and controlled - our front office and coaching staff comes across as confused, desperate, unsure and ultimately lacking a solid plan.  One week they seem to be going in a particular direction, and the next they are going somewhere else.

Benching Tyrod Taylor for a totally unprepared Nathan Peterman, and almost destroying our chance at a playoff spot in the process.  Then immediately regretting the move and putting Taylor back in.  Signing AJ McCarron as a veteran placeholder.  Then trading him before the season starts, leaving us with nobody experienced on the roster.  Putting Peterman back into the starting lineup on Week 1, based purely on a few good quarters in preseason.  Then panicking after two quarters, and immediately replacing him with an unprepared Josh Allen in Week 2 - even though you stated to the media that it's possible to ruin a young QB playing him too early.  Then suddenly 6 weeks into the season, they suddenly decide that having a veteran QB on the roster is maybe a good idea.

What comes next?  Cutting Peterman?  Benching Allen?  Starting Anderson?  Signing another guy off the street and shoving him into the top spot?  Does our front office even know yet, or are we just winging it from week-to-week?