Take a deep breath and reevaluate after today

RPbillsfan

Now that the loss has moved past the we should have won and the hate Peterman phase.  Let's all

take a deep breath and assess where the Bills are and what they might do.

At 2-4 here is what we know:

1.  Defense is outstanding, all elements are in place for short term and long term success.  Do need another CB to complete the D

2.  Offense is 1991 Colts bad (averaged less then 10 points a game).  Our rookie QB dosent have any tools to work with, shows his inexperience and would be better served by watching from the bench.  To truly assess the receivers we need Derek Anderson to start the next few games at the least to see if Benjamin comes around and what we really have in Zay Jones.  It's time to give Teller and Botteger snaps in the regular season to determine if they are part of the future before next years draft.

3.  The punt game needs dramatic improvement.  Drew Kaser is available and should be signed.  McCloud should be cut as he adds nothing to the roster as either a receiver or a returner.  

4.  Cut Peterman and if you want him he will clear waivers and you can add him to the practice squad.

5.  Look at trade options to teams who are out of contention such as the Raiders, Broncos and Cardinals to see if players such as Amari Cooper, Demarius Thomas, Patrick Peterson and Hassan Reddick may be worth taking a shot at in trade.

6.  Let JA learn on the bench until later in the season to see the game from a different perspective as we get to see what the Bills need to do in the next off-season

• Like (+1) 2

A guy I work with is a Clemson grad and huge fan.  He commented to me back at final cut day, "Be prepared for McCloud to put a couple on the carpet!"   He was right!

Will be interesting to see next week, who starts at QB, if Allen isn't healthy, do they feel Anderson has learned enough to start him, and even if Allen is ready to go, who start, Allen or Anderson??

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

A guy I work with is a Clemson grad and huge fan.  He commented to me back at final cut day, "Be prepared for McCloud to put a couple on the carpet!"   He was right!

He cost us the game along with Petersuck. Both need to be released tomorrow.

Edited by BillsRdue

Just now, GreggTX said:

That's easy. We're rebuilding. Help for the offense will arrive next year. Bills fans, you can either accept it or whine and cry. Your choice.

Yes, we are rebuilding and that's obvious, but there are actions you can take as I'm sure the Bills front office will do.

The purpose of my post was to get a pulse of the knowledgeable fans to see what beyond I wrote may be in others people's thoughts.

1 minute ago, RPbillsfan said:

Yes, we are rebuilding and that's obvious, but there are actions you can take as I'm sure the Bills front office will do.

The purpose of my post was to get a pulse of the knowledgeable fans to see what beyond I wrote may be in others people's thoughts.

Understood. I just think there's not going to be anything available until after the season and I don't want them giving away draft capital to try to 'save' this season. I'm also getting tired of all the whining.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Will be interesting to see next week, who starts at QB, if Allen isn't healthy, do they feel Anderson has learned enough to start him, and even if Allen is ready to go, who start, Allen or Anderson??

Concur, cut Ray-Ray and promote Cam Philips for now, Persue WR in trade or maybe look at resigning Jeremy Kerley

• Like (+1) 1

I dont think we need another CB...Donate Johnson started for 2 years with the 49ers and was set to start for the Seahawks this year before injuring his groin and getting put on IR. Ryan Lewis was inactive today, he has been pretty good for us.

This team is really deep everywhere other than LB on D. They need to address the offense desperately next year.

Edited by matter2003

18 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Now that the loss has moved past the we should have won and the hate Peterman phase.  Let's all

1.  Defense is outstanding, all elements are in place for short term and long term success.  Do need another CB to complete the D

2.  Offense is 1991 Colts bad (averaged less then 10 points a game).  Our rookie QB dosent have any tools to work with, shows his inexperience and would be better served by watching from the bench.  To truly assess the receivers we need Derek Anderson to start the next few games at the least to see if Benjamin comes around and what we really have in Zay Jones.  It's time to give Teller and Botteger snaps in the regular season to determine if they are part of the future before next years draft.

3.  The punt game needs dramatic improvement.  Drew Kaser is available and should be signed.  McCloud should be cut as he adds nothing to the roster as either a receiver or a returner.  

4.  Cut Peterman and if you want him he will clear waivers and you can add him to the practice squad.

5.  Look at trade options to teams who are out of contention such as the Raiders, Broncos and Cardinals to see if players such as Amari Cooper, Demarius Thomas, Patrick Peterson and Hassan Reddick may be worth taking a shot at in trade.

6.  Let JA learn on the bench until later in the season to see the game from a different perspective as we get to see what the Bills need to do in the next off-season

You should evaluate Mr. three game wiining streak.  OGAAT.

21 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

That's easy. We're rebuilding. Help for the offense will arrive next year. Bills fans, you can either accept it or whine and cry. Your choice.

Thank you.   We all knew this was a rebuilding year.  The other goal was to get out from under the weight of to dead money and free up cap room.

• Like (+1) 1

It's a bummer we can't have even a slightly better offense with the way the D can play. They almost won this game on their own. It's a waste of KW's and maybe Lorax's last seasons. Most good teams cannot overcome mishaps on ST, this team def cannot. 

• Like (+1) 1

Only saw highlights and box score; looks like D and run game was solid, just got beat by a couple huge turnovers, which would wreck just about any team without a GOAT QB.   Allen was going pretty well until hurt it seems.    Looks like this roster can go on the road and compete.  Good.   Trust the Process.   Move on.

31 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Keep telling yourself that.

2 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

I agree with some of this, This defense is outstanding and can keep us in most games.I don't think we should give up any draft picks for any of those players you mentioned, I want to see us draft and develop from here on out like the great teams do. I don't want Allen to learn on the bench, you can't learn as well as getting in game action imo.

I've been reading threads similarly titled like this for more than 10 years: bad offense, inspiring defense, and at seasons end more mediocrity.  

Maintaining a strong defense over multiple years is very difficult in the cap era.  The Seahawks are a prime example. 

At the end of this season, Buffalo will need to revamp their offense after two years of rebuilding. Those who believe the answer lies in UFA will see few options next March.  

The GMs, HCs, and coordinators have changed.  The results have not. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

“Next year” since 2000

keep on truckin’ baby

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Losing faith with the Carolina crew

I never had any faith in the Carolina crew.  It's not like Carolina has won 5 Super Bowls in this century ... or any other century, either.