Take a deep breath and reevaluate after today

RPbillsfan

2 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

Now that the loss has moved past the we should have won and the hate Peterman phase.  Let's all

take a deep breath and assess where the Bills are and what they might do.

At 2-4 here is what we know:

1.  Defense is outstanding, all elements are in place for short term and long term success.  Do need another CB to complete the D

2.  Offense is 1991 Colts bad (averaged less then 10 points a game).  Our rookie QB dosent have any tools to work with, shows his inexperience and would be better served by watching from the bench.  To truly assess the receivers we need Derek Anderson to start the next few games at the least to see if Benjamin comes around and what we really have in Zay Jones.  It's time to give Teller and Botteger snaps in the regular season to determine if they are part of the future before next years draft.

3.  The punt game needs dramatic improvement.  Drew Kaser is available and should be signed.  McCloud should be cut as he adds nothing to the roster as either a receiver or a returner.  

4.  Cut Peterman and if you want him he will clear waivers and you can add him to the practice squad.

5.  Look at trade options to teams who are out of contention such as the Raiders, Broncos and Cardinals to see if players such as Amari Cooper, Demarius Thomas, Patrick Peterson and Hassan Reddick may be worth taking a shot at in trade.

6.  Let JA learn on the bench until later in the season to see the game from a different perspective as we get to see what the Bills need to do in the next off-season

Josh Allen won't learn on the bench.  He will learn by playing, but he doesn't have the game to be competitive at the position.

This is a lost season and everything is riding on Allen somehow turning into a good QB.

10 games to go.

We brought the rebuild upon ourselves, and did so in mind-numbing fashion.

Today, Nick O'Leary caught a TD pass from Brock Osweiler. The rest of the league has no problem scoring with waiver wire guys, yet here we are, trotting out sub 100 yard passing performances like they're badges of honor.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

Did we ever get a response as to why Kerley was released?

Yeah. They said it was a numbers game and they needed another DT that week.  They activated Robert Thomas who promptly played six snaps then was inactive the next game before subsequently being cut.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, row_33 said:

“Next year” since 2000

keep on truckin’ baby

The last time the Bills won a playoff game, Princess Diana was still alive and her two sons were little boys. 

Keep on truckin', indeed.  

main_900.jpg?1440616681

3 minutes ago, fridge said:

We brought the rebuild upon ourselves, and did so in mind-numbing fashion.

Today, Nick O'Leary caught a TD pass from Brock Osweiler. The rest of the league has no problem scoring with waiver wire guys, yet here we are, trotting out sub 100 yard passing performances like they're badges of honor.

Minor point, but the Carpies also won that game ... 

9 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I never had any faith in the Carolina crew.  It's not like Carolina has won 5 Super Bowls in this century ... or any other century, either.

As am I. They aren’t terrible; McDermott obviously knows defense. 

They need to cast a wider friggin net though. Beane needs to start getting players HE wants and not having to clear everything though McDermott (just speculation, but that’s sure how it seems to work currently.)

1 minute ago, JoPar_v2 said:

They need to cast a wider friggin net though. Beane needs to start getting players HE wants and not having to clear everything though McDermott (just speculation, but that’s sure how it seems to work currently.)

McDermott is the boss and Beane only exists because he hasn't annoyed McD.

At least that's how I read it, too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

McDermott is the boss and Beane only exists because he hasn't annoyed McD.

At least that's how I read it, too.

And if that’s the case that’s dumb. He shouldn’t have Belichick power; far from it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JoPar_v2 said:

McDermott took over pretty much total control over personnel since before the 2017 draft.  I believe when he was hired, he was supposed to share personnel selection with Whaley (that's sort of how it worked since Whaley was hired).  Sometime between his hiring and the draft, McDermott won the power struggle, and Whaley was essentially a lame duck for the 2017 draft, being fired the next day.  The FAs the Bills picked up before the 2017 draft generally have the "feel" of Whaley and the "old" Bills scouts ... bargain priced FAs who played  pretty well.  Think Hyde, Poyer, E Gaines (whom the Bills didn't bother to re-sign but who is playing decently for his new team).  Even Ducasse wasn't a bad pick up since he was added to be depth at the G position behind Miller.  The 2017 draft was McDermott's with apparently input from some of his pals already on board.  The 2018 FAs and draft class belong to McDermott and the new scouts who were mostly refugees from Carolina.  Beane is not a personnel guy, so I think he's the one charge with actually making the deals and dotting is and crossing ts for McDermott rather than deciding which players to bring in or send packing.

11 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

And if that’s the case that’s dumb. He shouldn’t have Belichick power; far from it.

A HC who is the boss is not uncommon in the NFL; in theory it should be the GM who is boss and decides who to hire as the HC, but that's not how Pegula did it and that's not the power structure on this team now.

Just now, Fadingpain said:

A HC who is the boss is not uncommon in the NFL; in theory it should be the GM who is boss and decides who to hire as the HC, but that's not how Pegula did it and that's not the power structure on this team now.

And I am okay with a HC having that sort of power if they earn it. McDermott has not. Belichick did not either right away in NE and he actually had HC experience prior to going there. BB worked with Scott Pioli and others at first and learned how to do it. 

I just don’t think the Pegulas want to put in the effort to go out and find those kinds of good personnel guys so they shoveled all the power onto McDermott’s lap. 

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

That's easy. We're rebuilding. Help for the offense will arrive next year. Bills fans, you can either accept it or whine and cry. Your choice.

Here here!!!

Bills fan after the 1st game

"Put in the kid and let him develop and take their lumps all in the name of progress and development. Its going to be a long year, might as well get all the bad stuff out of the way"

Bills fan after 2 wins and good D

"Bench the kid so the O gets some life bc this D might get us into the playoffs"

Good grief! Would you sell your own kids for another backdoor playoff birth?

How some folks seem to loose perspective so easily based on a few wins or a few losses is scarey. I hope this team stays the course at least. 

Hopefully the D only gets better as it develops and the season goes on. Add another stud or 2 and we could be on to something. If we win, great! Bonus!!

Its going to be a long year, but hopefully everything is done in the name of progress and development even if the offense is behind at the moment. This year isnt the year to go places. I wish we were happy with just the cake and less people wanted to eat it too. 

• Like (+1) 1

I disagree with benching Allen for Anderson. 

That guy was on a family vacation when the Bills called, he is a washed up journeyman. He’s here because AJ McCarron was a Matt Cassel dump off clone - another great Beane signing. 

You keep Allen in there. 

This is the the type of game that turns the tide on a Coache’s and GM’s tenure, this love affair with Peterman cost the Bills another game. 

In all honesty, I think this game marks the beginning of the end for McDermott in Buffalo. It’s been 22 games now. The guy is absolutely clueless offensively. He is Dick Jauron as the rest of the league goes into hyper-drive offensively.,

In terms of punting game, you have a Coach who is obsessed with Special Teams and the Bills hang on to these fringe NFLers - Joe Webb, Kaolin Clay, Tavaris Cadet, Mike Tolbert, Taiwan Jones, and they have no speed, no value in today’s game. 

“Gotta watch the tape” is only going to fly 1 or 2 more weeks. Then it’s going to start aggravating people who are convering this team. Now we’re down to signing street free agents and 35 year old ex-Panthers on family vacations. 

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I disagree with benching Allen for Anderson. 

That guy was on a family vacation when the Bills called, he is a washed up journeyman. He’s here because AJ McCarron was a Matt Cassel dump off clone - another great Beane signing. 

You keep Allen in there. 

This is the the type of game that turns the tide on a Coache’s and GM’s tenure, this love affair with Peterman cost the Bills another game. 

In all honesty, I think this game marks the beginning of the end for McDermott in Buffalo. It’s been 22 games now. The guy is absolutely clueless offensively. He is Dick Jauron as the rest of the league goes into hyper-drive offensively.,

In terms of punting game, you have a Coach who is obsessed with Special Teams and the Bills hang on to these fringe NFLers - Joe Webb, Kaolin Clay, Tavaris Cadet, Mike Tolbert, Taiwan Jones, and they have no speed, no value in today’s game. 

“Gotta watch the tape” is only going to fly 1 or 2 more weeks. Then it’s going to start aggravating people who are convering this team. Now we’re down to signing street free agents and 35 year old ex-Panthers on family vacations. 

Great post.

4 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

Now that the loss has moved past the we should have won and the hate Peterman phase.  Let's all

take a deep breath and assess where the Bills are and what they might do.

At 2-4 here is what we know:

1.  Defense is outstanding, all elements are in place for short term and long term success.  Do need another CB to complete the D

2.  Offense is 1991 Colts bad (averaged less then 10 points a game).  Our rookie QB dosent have any tools to work with, shows his inexperience and would be better served by watching from the bench.  To truly assess the receivers we need Derek Anderson to start the next few games at the least to see if Benjamin comes around and what we really have in Zay Jones.  It's time to give Teller and Botteger snaps in the regular season to determine if they are part of the future before next years draft.

3.  The punt game needs dramatic improvement.  Drew Kaser is available and should be signed.  McCloud should be cut as he adds nothing to the roster as either a receiver or a returner.  

4.  Cut Peterman and if you want him he will clear waivers and you can add him to the practice squad.

5.  Look at trade options to teams who are out of contention such as the Raiders, Broncos and Cardinals to see if players such as Amari Cooper, Demarius Thomas, Patrick Peterson and Hassan Reddick may be worth taking a shot at in trade.

6.  Let JA learn on the bench until later in the season to see the game from a different perspective as we get to see what the Bills need to do in the next off-season

I don't disagree with any of these points. Unfortunately I think KB is a zombie. Other scrub players like Dimarco and Lacey need to go. Miller is awful yet in the 1st half we kept trying to run Shady right behind him unsuccessfully? And finally Daboll is pretty clueless, I don't think he has any idea what he's doing....Let's start with cutting Peterman tomorrow and take it from there.

1 hour ago, gobills1212 said:

Here here!!!

Bills fan after the 1st game

"Put in the kid and let him develop and take their lumps all in the name of progress and development. Its going to be a long year, might as well get all the bad stuff out of the way"

Bills fan after 2 wins and good D

"Bench the kid so the O gets some life bc this D might get us into the playoffs"

Good grief! Would you sell your own kids for another backdoor playoff birth?

How some folks seem to loose perspective so easily based on a few wins or a few losses is scarey. I hope this team stays the course at least. 

Hopefully the D only gets better as it develops and the season goes on. Add another stud or 2 and we could be on to something. If we win, great! Bonus!!

Its going to be a long year, but hopefully everything is done in the name of progress and development even if the offense is behind at the moment. This year isnt the year to go places. I wish we were happy with just the cake and less people wanted to eat it too. 

So... what is your perspective on the way the team has managed it? Because how fans react is meaningless, however, I'd say how they've managed Allen has been equally as frenetic as the character you just made up.

5 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

So... what is your perspective on the way the team has managed it? Because how fans react is meaningless, however, I'd say how they've managed Allen has been equally as frenetic as the character you just made up.

Personally, i think it is what it is.

I dont think Allen game 2 was ideal, but the cats out of the bag. There will probably be more bad days than good, at least in the early going - but one would hope the lumps taken this year set up strides next year and when reinforcements comes he can take advantage. Im against sitting him down now, but whatever the team does... they know better than I. Id argue the yoyo does more harm than good at this point, but im not privy to the convos inside the building. Whatever is best for the kids development at this point in time bc thats what the year is for. If he stays in, its ok bc this isnt the year to pile up the Ws. A guy on WGR right now is asking when the team takes the fans into consideration... hopefully they dont! Its not about us (which i think we agree about).Things get real next season, so id hope there is a plan so point A gets to point B and whatever is done doesnt make this year a waste.

Edited by gobills1212

9 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I've been reading threads similarly titled like this for more than 10 years: bad offense, inspiring defense, and at seasons end more mediocrity.  

Maintaining a strong defense over multiple years is very difficult in the cap era.  The Seahawks are a prime example. 

At the end of this season, Buffalo will need to revamp their offense after two years of rebuilding. Those who believe the answer lies in UFA will see few options next March.  

The GMs, HCs, and coordinators have changed.  The results have not. 

well said...this offense does not get fixed in one off-season.....many teams will have cap space and there will be competition for FAs...also, on defense we may lose Williams, Alexander and every year  I worry we get rid of Hughes

I have a different take. This may be the ideal long term scenario. Allen has now had a chance to see it on the field. Now, with a non season ending injury he’ll get to watch a veteran run the offense (Andersen). The Bills might just steal a win against Indy and then get they’re annual beat down against NE. Nothing is lost here.  Let Josh collect himself for a month.