Long hair is not a strategic advantage

On 10/14/2018 at 10:31 PM, stevewin said:

The obvious solution is just don't have long hair sticking out to grab - but I don't understand why the horsecollar rule doesn't include hair - it has the same risk of injury (probably even more so)  as yanking on the back of the pads

The NFL is a conservative league so I can see tackling by the hair as legal to deter from growing out your hair.  One major injury though and it'll be a new rule.

Whoever posted earlier and said that WRs, RBs and QBs should be advised to keep their locks under control, had the right of it. It is a potential advantage to the opposition, so should be considered.

The above pays no attention whatsoever to style etc.  - I'd wear my hair long if I still had any - but is a simple response to giving someone else any sort of competetive advantage.

On 10/14/2018 at 8:05 PM, BringBackFergy said:

You may think this is just a complaint or a “hot take” but this is a serious gripe - long hair/dreds/locks/corn rows etc do nothing but invite defenders to pull you down quick or interfere with your ability to concentrate on the game. . Here’s the data:

1) Chris Ivory was yanked down and unable to pick up a first down (which he could have attained if he had shorter hair). As I recall, that was a drive we needed. 

2)  Clowney was neutralized in this game and, in fact, jumped off sides a few times probably because his hair may have been in the way. 

3) Ray Ray McCloud has really nice hair - but it didn’t help him concentrate on the kickoff or the lost punt. 

4) Kelvin Benjamin??? One major league catch and 20 other drops or slow routes. He fails to block for fear of messin’ up his hair (or so it seems). 

I’m at wits end.  Draftees next year should have manageable hair so the players don’t have to worry about it. They should concentrate on football. 

I would just leave a ton of conditioner in it and when the defenders try and grab it their hands will slip right off.

Playing the game of tackle football with Long hair makes absolutely zero sense. Heck, the Linemen spray their jerseys to their pads so there’s nothing for the opponent to grab. Fashion statements are nice, but they have no place in the workplace if they’re going to impede your performance. Cut your hair!

20 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Playing the game of tackle football with Long hair makes absolutely zero sense. Heck, the Linemen spray their jerseys to their pads so there’s nothing for the opponent to grab. Fashion statements are nice, but they have no place in the workplace if they’re going to impede your performance. Cut your hair!

As someone that had long hair when I played I pretty much agree with you on everything besides it being a fashion statement.

Wearing it loose or in a ponytail

it would end up coming out of whatever I had keeping it out of my face and had to constantly adust it coming off the field. Then I threw them in braids and they'd get stuck in the crevasses of the helmet and would be yanked around anytime my helmet moved.  

The sweat was bad too. It would kind of pool up and when you hit someone it would run down your face temporarily blinding you.