Biggest re-do of the offseason

Virgil

I would have kept Tyrod, plain and simple. Go ahead and flame away but Tyrod was a hustler, Allen could have learned a lot from him. Tyrod was a good human being and a better QB than Allen at this point. Could have sat Allen down for a few years while Tyrod took us to the playoffs. We had the ideal teacher, Tyrod would have gladly taught Allen and with a smile on his face.

2 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I would have kept Tyrod, plain and simple. Go ahead and flame away but Tyrod was a hustler, Allen could have learned a lot from him. Tyrod was a good human being and a better QB than Allen at this point. Could have sat Allen down for a few years while Tyrod took us to the playoffs. We had the ideal teacher, Tyrod would have gladly taught Allen and with a smile on his face.

you lost me at  a few years

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Comebackkid said:

you lost me at  a few years

Allen is not ready, yes, I would have sat him down for a couple years. That's just my opinion, you can disagree all you want I really don't care. This was Tyrods team, he ended the drought and McD in my mind screwed him. That's just how I see it. With Tyrod we'd be in the playoffs again this year. Sure he had his faults, but was the alternative better? Was it?

Biggest redo would be to treat Allen like the guy you traded up to #7 to get and give him the reps instead of making him compete with two scrubs. Second biggest would be to find someone who knows how to scout wide outs because whoever is doing it now is !@#$ing awful at it.

I agree with the Bridgewater approach..it can happen this off season if Beane and McDermott can get off of the slow bus to success.

Allen is a 3 year project so get Ted in the off season and don't hesitate to pick a more talented QB if available.

I have watched all of the Bills games I don't remember any screen passes being run.

It seems as though this would be perfect for a rookie QB.

Daboll should go and take Peterman with him.

It seems as though everyone is learning from the GM on down.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Allen is not ready, yes, I would have sat him down for a couple years. That's just my opinion, you can disagree all you want I really don't care. This was Tyrods team, he ended the drought and McD in my mind screwed him. That's just how I see it. With Tyrod we'd be in the playoffs again this year. Sure he had his faults, but was the alternative better? Was it?

i think if allen couldnt beat out tyrod at the end of year one they would need to look at other options.  how long did it take Cleveland to bench him...   I was pro tyrod for a long time but he sealed his own fate. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, transient said:

Not waste >2/3 of the starting QB snaps in preseason on QBs that wouldn’t be starting... or even on the roster by week 7 (fingers crossed). 

allen would have been a wee bit better with more snaps very stupid of the coaching staff to do that

1 minute ago, Comebackkid said:

i think if allen couldnt beat out tyrod at the end of year one they would need to look at other options.  how long did it take Cleveland to bench him...   I was pro tyrod for a long time but he sealed his own fate. 

Cleveland isn't exactly a team I'd try to emulate and Baker Mayfield was about as pro ready as you can get. Tyrod was good for 3,200 yards and 20 TDS while practically never turning the ball over. Tyrod with this defense and we'd be a lock for the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

As I think about where we are this season, I think about what we could have done differently in the offseason.  There weren’t really a plethora of offensive lineman or WR’s we missed on.   We could have drafted differently, but I’m not writing off our rookies.  

To me, with our current situation, I wish we would have signed Teddy Bridgewater.  He only threw for 3k yards, but I think he would do well in our current scheme with this defense.  I think he wins this game today.  Also, he took a one year deal for 5 mil, which was a steal.  

Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but I think Allen gets his time on the bench to learn and we are somewhat serviceable on the field. 

I fix the offense and not the defense.

I love McBeane but getting a franchise QB with NO HELP was/is stupid.

The combination of drafting Allen and moving up with picks and trades to have that opportunity is the thing that I would have to at least consider as the biggest redo of the offseason.  I know that the Bills were determined to get their QB of the future in the most recent draft, but you can never force these situations if the players that are most likely to fulfill that need are not available to you.  I don't know who the Bills had as their top choice or choices at QB in the draft, but they could not get in to position to take Mayfield or Darnold if that is what they really wanted.

I thought the Bills only pursued McCarron after some of the other veteran QBs were signed by other teams (i.e., McCown, who I thought was their first choice).  Bridgewater likely would have been an upgrade, and maybe he should have been considered as both a potential short and long term solution so that we would not have believed it necessary to move up and take Allen.  Of course, the reality may have been that McBeane really wanted Allen more than any of the other choices.  If this is the case, I would question the ability of this front office and scouts to evaluate talent.  Allen is a project and has a long way to go before he is playing even at the level of Darnold and Mayfield.   I don't have the feeling that Allen can be developed as quickly as we would like.

I still wish they had fought the urge to trade up. I would have been happier staying put, taking Lamar Jackson, and using the extra picks to acquire some offensive talent so whoever the QB was would have a fighter's chance.

I still liked Josh Allen quite a bit and was happy to have him though. Having weapons in place or at least young talent is the major regret IMO. Choose Josh over Lamar is just a minor one.

Not bringing in Anderson after TC.  Blinding believing Nathan Peterman corrected his arm strength and awarding him the starting position.  Allen should have been named the starter after the Cleveland.  Injury settlement release Mccarron.  Bring in Anderson.  Give Peterman the 4th preseason game and cut him.  They like him so bring him back on PS.  The amount of time wasted on developing Peterman this year and not the first rd pick is and was completely foolish.  

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

As I think about where we are this season, I think about what we could have done differently in the offseason.  There weren’t really a plethora of offensive lineman or WR’s we missed on.   We could have drafted differently, but I’m not writing off our rookies.  

To me, with our current situation, I wish we would have signed Teddy Bridgewater.  He only threw for 3k yards, but I think he would do well in our current scheme with this defense.  I think he wins this game today.  Also, he took a one year deal for 5 mil, which was a steal.  

Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but I think Allen gets his time on the bench to learn and we are somewhat serviceable on the field. 

they have a shot at Teddy in FA next year.  

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Draft the other Josh like I thought they were going to do.

You got that right.  

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

A better back up than Peterman. Nice guy, professional, doesn’t belong in the NFL

I agree with you, but Peterman is not the issue around here, as much as he doesn't belong in the league. 

3 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

I have no idea what Peterman has done to earn the adoration of Beane and McD. Is it simply the holy roller Christian connection? Other than that Bridgewater would have made a lot of sense or Matt moore, even Ryan Fitzpatrick. The fact that they seemed to ignore alternatives to Peterman for a backup or even to ignore mentor qbs for Allen is insane.

Yes, quite possibly.  I have no doubt that a guy like McDimwit would be rubbed the wrong way by a guy like Josh Rosen precisely b/c he is a progressive, big city, critically thinking kind of guy.  I.E., the opposite of Peterman.  

2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

With all due respect, you're insane.  No one is sitting a QB in today's NFL for 2 years of his cheap, entry level deal.  

The idea of dumping Tyrod for a newly drafted QB was rooted in the premise that with some development, the new QB would evolve to be much better than Tyrod, whose ceiling is relatively low and well established. 

The idea was sound, but the execution was not.  Allen was not the right guy to pick as we are all seeing now. 

I would be all over acquiring Bridgewater next year, along with drafting another QB too.