Biggest re-do of the offseason

Virgil

As I think about where we are this season, I think about what we could have done differently in the offseason.  There weren’t really a plethora of offensive lineman or WR’s we missed on.   We could have drafted differently, but I’m not writing off our rookies.  

To me, with our current situation, I wish we would have signed Teddy Bridgewater.  He only threw for 3k yards, but I think he would do well in our current scheme with this defense.  I think he wins this game today.  Also, he took a one year deal for 5 mil, which was a steal.  

Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but I think Allen gets his time on the bench to learn and we are somewhat serviceable on the field. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Draft the other Josh like I thought they were going to do.

We could have had that other Josh and a day 1 pick on the OL.  It's not that I don't like Allen I just don't think the ratio of talent to the price we paid to move to get him was worth it.  Especially since I don't see a QB guru on the staff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, transient said:

Why would you want there to be poor blocking for your UPS guy, who then fumbles your package after calling for a fair catch?

I’m a masochist with too much time on my hands? 

T Bridge would have been a good get. I could see him being quite serviceable in this scheme. 

Sounds crazy, but I was just randomly watching Brock Osweiler videos last week. He made some really nice throws and showed decent pocket presence. Maybe it just seemed nice because I'm used to seeing Buffalo qb play. Big guy, big arm and sneaky athleticism. He kind of seemed like a more polished Josh Allen. I know that Brock has had a tough go and people cringe at his name when talking quarterbacks. But I think there may be something there worth looking into. 

So if they wanted to groom a big armed qb, I would have rather gone the Brock route and held all of those draft picks and would likely be having more offensive success. I liked the draft for the most part. But instead of trading up for JA, maybe go WR, OL or RB. 

3 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

We could have had that other Josh and a day 1 pick on the OL.  It's not that I don't like Allen I just don't think the ratio of talent to the price we paid to move to get him was worth it.  Especially since I don't see a QB guru on the staff.

I was fine with the Edmunds pick as we didn't know we'd lose Incognito to the deep state at the time.  I think a lot of us made a point before the season that if you're going to draft a project like Allen, then you need a proven OC or QB coach who's developed a successful rookie quarterback before.

Daboll for me. Allen hasn’t looked good but we also got to remember he’s only played 5 NFL games and he’s in a very less than ideal situation.

Daboll has never really had success anywhere in his NFL career and it’s continuing this year

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Virgil said:

As I think about where we are this season, I think about what we could have done differently in the offseason.  There weren’t really a plethora of offensive lineman or WR’s we missed on.   We could have drafted differently, but I’m not writing off our rookies.  

To me, with our current situation, I wish we would have signed Teddy Bridgewater.  He only threw for 3k yards, but I think he would do well in our current scheme with this defense.  I think he wins this game today.  Also, he took a one year deal for 5 mil, which was a steal.  

Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but I think Allen gets his time on the bench to learn and we are somewhat serviceable on the field. 

Bridgewater wishes he could have a re do and sign with us. 

Daboll easily..hes never had a good pro offence in his short nfl career..hes had chances everywhere hes been o.c theyve been bottom of the league

then not signing a proper qb..josh allen should not have been seeing the field hes clearly not ready hes not mentally processing the game the way he needs to be

As ive said before if the plan was to roll with only nathan peterman who proved nothing prior to be given that trust...Then the pick should have been Rosen..it was obvious to anyone with eyes that Josh allen was the project in the group..and needed time to develop.

33 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I've been touting this since pre-season. I was pissed we didn't take a shot at Teddy and let the Jets beat us to the punch twice with QB's this off-season. 

I have no idea what Peterman has done to earn the adoration of Beane and McD. Is it simply the holy roller Christian connection? Other than that Bridgewater would have made a lot of sense or Matt moore, even Ryan Fitzpatrick. The fact that they seemed to ignore alternatives to Peterman for a backup or even to ignore mentor qbs for Allen is insane.

Going after McCarron in the one offseason when there were a lot of QB options was a critical mistake.  They needed someone who had experience playing actual NFL games.  McCarron's one playoff start wasn't enough.  Bridgewater, even with his knee concerns, would have been a much better choice.  At this point, if they play anyone other than Allen for the rest of the season (provided he's healthy), then they will be making a second huge QB mistake.  Sink or swim, let the kid grow into the job, even with a crappy line and bad receivers. By the time Allen takes his first snap next season, he will be light years ahead of where he is now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1