Week 7: Colts Game Preparation - Josh Allen and Taiwan Jones Out with All Others Ready to Play on Sunday; TY Hilton Back with Ryan Grant Out

2018 Colts Fantasy Preview: Colts/Bills, Week 7

h0ijlatxosklc9j9an1b.jpg

Jake Arthur - COLTS.COM CONTRIBUTOR

INDIANAPOLIS — Last year, the Indianapolis Colts and Buffalo Bills matchup fell into fantasy irrelevance as a blizzard hit New Era Field. This time around, the game is in the climate-controlled atmosphere of Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, so you’ll get to use some of their players this time around.

*Weekly positional rankings from FantasyPros.com, based on Half-PPR scoring.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Veteran Quarterback Derek Anderson Getting Start for Bills Against Colts

d8bsgyyz8rn2b05vkgff.jpg

Andrew Walker - COLTS.COM WRITER

INDIANAPOLIS — Josh Allen’s elite arm talent was supposed to be a major point of emphasis for the Indianapolis Colts’ defense this week, as the unit prepared for Sunday’s Week 7 matchup against the Buffalo Bills at Lucas Oil Stadium.

That was, until the third quarter of last Sunday’s Bills game against the Houston Texans.

Allen was injured when his right throwing elbow apparently struck the helmet of a Houston defender after completing a 39-yard pass to wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin. Allen — the No. 7-overall pick in this year’s NFL Draft — tried to stay in the game, but exited after just one more play.

That left Bills head coach Sean McDermott with a couple options — both to finish out the game against the Texans (which was still winnable midway through the second half), and then more in the short-term to fill in while Allen was out. They were second-year quarterback Nathan Peterman, whose struggles during previous opportunities were well documented, or veteran Derek Anderson, who had literally just been signed by the team five days prior.

Scouting Report Week 7 - Bills vs. Colts

w256frfvxehmvmvwqixz.jpg

Top 3 Individual Matchups
1 – Jerry Hughes vs. Anthony Castonzo
2 – Jordan Mills vs. Jabaal Sheard
3 – Jordan Poyer vs. Eric Ebron

Bills Top 2 Advantages
Good advantage – Takeaway ability
Best advantage – Run defense

Bills Number 1 Must
Pass pressure on Luck

Scouting Eye
Throw, throw, throw
Case of the drops
Staying on the field – Part I
Staying on the field – Part 2
Point problems

Dp0KtCIXcAELVDj.jpg

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Week 7: Colts Game Preparation - Cam Phillips Signed from PS with Robert Foster Waived; Thursday Injury Reports Posted
On 10/16/2018 at 6:25 PM, Thurman#1 said:

No offense, but your needs mean nothing here. Mine too, I'm not pointing you out specifically but I don't run around talking about what I need from the Bills.

Anyway, Benjamin had a pretty good game last week. If the holding penalty hadn't taken away one of his long completions (35 or 40 yards, wasn't it?), he'd have been very productive. Yeah, he looked bad earlier, but knee-jerk reactions like you're suggesting don't make sense.

The thing that didn't make sense was trading McCarron and starting Peterman.

Actually, just going into the Summer with a talented but raw rookie, a 2nd year 5th round QB who had thrown 1 pick in nearly every 9 attempts in his 1st year, and a 5th year QB who had 5 career NFL starts and couldn't beat out Andy Dalton didn't make sense.

There was a reason I said Allen was the most likely starting QB to start week 1... I gave McDermott too much credit on QB evaluation... didn't realize a preseason mirage like Peterman could so stupefy him... so much so that he'd think Peterman was so good that a vet QB--even one with a mere 5 games experience--was expendable.

Sheesh, even Rex in 2015 at least had a better QB room from the start.

At this point, McDermott has dug a pretty serious grave this year... some knee jerk reactions are necessary... in addition to the ones he's already succumbed to.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The thing that didn't make sense was trading McCarron and starting Peterman.

Actually, just going into the Summer with a talented but raw rookie, a 2nd year 5th round QB who had thrown 1 pick in nearly every 9 attempts in his 1st year, and a 5th year QB who had 5 career NFL starts and couldn't beat out Andy Dalton didn't make sense.

There was a reason I said Allen was the most likely starting QB to start week 1... I gave McDermott too much credit on QB evaluation... didn't realize a preseason mirage like Peterman could so stupefy him... so much so that he'd think Peterman was so good that a vet QB--even one with a mere 5 games experience--was expendable.

Sheesh, even Rex in 2015 at least had a better QB room from the start.

At this point, McDermott has dug a pretty serious grave this year... some knee jerk reactions are necessary... in addition to the ones he's already succumbed to.

I think the majority of Bills fans like McDermott overall. And very willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I know I am and I have a lot of problems with him. 

I think he makes a huge amount of mistakes in game, he’s awful in time management, he seems to hate timeouts, and there is nothing to believe he knows a thing about offense except blind faith. The Peterman bromance is really troubling. It cannot be underestimated. 

He’s a terrific defensive coach though. There is a long history in the nfl of guys that only understood one side of the ball. 

He SEEMINGLY overvalued character with talent. And that’s an enormous problem. You cannot win in the nfl without huge talent. Character unfortunately doesn’t beat talent however unfair that might be. 

We’re at a crossroads. I like McDermott still. I think we have to let him do his thing.

But I’m very worried that his hierarchy of what’s important won’t let us compete on an even playing field. 

The bromance with Nate is troubling. The ingame decisions are very troubling. The hires are, let’s call them suspect. The personnel decisions are baffling especially on offense. Even the 46-53 man roster is very puzzling at times. 

McD and Beane need this year and probably all of next year to see what they can do. But this “plan” is suspect to me. 

The step back makes zero sense to me. If you’re rebuilding you do it year one not year two. 

• Like (+1) 2

Coming Soon: Bills vs. Colts (1:00)

The Bills travel west to Indianapolis to take on the Colts in a rematch of last year's 'snow game' OT thriller.

Game Preview: Bills vs Colts (1:29)

John Murphy breaks down the Bills' matchup vs the Indianapolis Colts at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Bills Today: Taron Johnson Thinks Tre' White has HOF potential

jtkwul18d1dsbin4zmll.jpg

Clayton: Bills Needed an Anderson Earlier

USATSI_10237251.jpg?itok=p7xgyIqG&c=428b

Last week, former ESPN NFL Insider John Clayton made some noise with his comments with Mike Schopp and the Bulldog on how the Bills needed to get newly-added quarterback Derek Anderson ready to start as soon as possible.

On Sunday, the Bills lost rookie quarterback Josh Allen to a sprained elbow in the third quarter of their 20-13 loss to the Houston Texans. Second-year backup Nathan Peterman entered the game and threw a touchdown to Zay Jones to give the Bills the lead, but after Houston tied the game at 13-13, he threw a costly pick-six with less than two minutes to play. On the next drive, Peterman threw another interception that sank their chances of tying the score.

On Wednesday, head coach decided to make the move and name Anderson the starting quarterback for this Sunday's matchup with the Indianapolis Colts at Lucas Oil Stadium.

This time around, Clayton joined Schopp and the Bulldog to evaluate where the Bills' quarterback position is now with the injury to Allen and the future of Peterman in doubt.

Here is some of what he had to say:

Love the Phillips promotion. He was my favorite udfa signing. He was uber productive in college, has good hands and a thick frame. Didn’t time well but shocked he went undrafted. What this offense needs more than anything right now is a reliable spot receiver who move the chains. Hoping he’s re guy 

Offseason Improvements To Colts' Offensive Line Coming To Fruition

a4mmoroeyu8wwlsli8l1.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS — For years, the Indianapolis Colts’ offensive line has been a sore subject for fans to discuss.

Many of the moves that had been made to rectify the unit’s struggles failed to pan out for one reason or another.

However, the team’s offseason moves to address the line in recent seasons are finally coming together to form a unit that has depth and is reliable in its duties. Statistically, the group enters Sunday's Week 7 matchup against the Buffalo Bills allowing the third fewest sacks per pass attempt in the league.

“I think the communication has been good. The fundamentals have been good. Passing game is better with each progressing week,” Colts head coach Frank Reich told reporters this week. “The backs obviously involved in the protection, they are a big part of it as well. So, I think we continue to make good progress."

It’s not just in-house optimism, either. Through six weeks, Pro Football Focus has the Colts’ offensive line graded as the No. 10 unit in the league. This weighs the grades that they have for all NFL offensive linemen who have played any amount of snaps for their team’s line.

24 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Love the Phillips promotion. He was my favorite udfa signing. He was uber productive in college, has good hands and a thick frame. Didn’t time well but shocked he went undrafted. What this offense needs more than anything right now is a reliable spot receiver who move the chains. Hoping he’s re guy 

I think this offense needs a QB more than anything right now

• Like (+1) 1