Week 7: Colts Game Preparation - Josh Allen and Taiwan Jones Out with All Others Ready to Play on Sunday; TY Hilton Back with Ryan Grant Out

https://theathletic.com/592873/2018/10/16/wood-call-me-crazy-but-i-see-enough-positives-to-believe-in-another-bills-playoff-run/

Eric Wood:

Looking back at the numbers, I think this is the worst offensive stretch the Bills have had since 2009. Some of the later offenses I’ll take more blame for as an experienced leader, but my rookie year I was throwing my body around and doing anything I could.

We had a dreadful, six-game stretch that year, leading to Dick Jauron being fired. We averaged 11 points and 242 yards and never gained more than 300 yards over any of those six games. The whole experience was interesting because Jauron was a defensive coach, but we had already fired offensive coordinator Turk Schonert in the preseason. So I guess the next head to roll was Jauron’s.

That offseason, Jauron decided he wanted to run a no-huddle offense that none of our coaches were equipped to handle. It wasn’t in Schonert’s wheelhouse. It wasn’t in replacement Alex Van Pelt’s either. We wound up watching a lot of Indianapolis Colts film that preseason, but we didn’t have any former Colts coaches on our staff. We ran an offense of which no one knew the ins and outs.

Trent Edwards did some pretty special things in practice, but he couldn’t put it together in games. That might be similar to how the Bills view Nathan Peterman now.

Maybe it’s like a golfer who can’t make a putt or a kicker who can’t make a field goal anymore. The yips … You know Peterman is doing the work. You know Peterman is preparing. I’m sure he’s performing well at practice. He did last year when I was there. He gave us confidence going into any game.

He did well this preseason. He deserved to be the opening-day starter. He has done a lot of good things.

But, man, in his Sunday opportunities there have been just way too many interceptions and monumental mistakes.

If Josh Allen’s injured elbow doesn’t let him play this week, then I think you must go to Derek Anderson now and have Peterman come off the bench only in an emergency.

McDermott should give Anderson a chance to play — if Anderson can get up to speed in the playbook — because the Bills are playing such great defense. He has been in the game so long that you have to assume there are enough concepts to prep him for Sunday at Indianapolis.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

With Allen out and Peterman possibly starting, the line has stabilized at around 7.5.

Most times when a starting QB is out, the line will be off the board.

Considering the possibility that Nathan freaking Peterman may actually start, Vegas doesn't think much of Josh Allen.

22 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

https://theathletic.com/592873/2018/10/16/wood-call-me-crazy-but-i-see-enough-positives-to-believe-in-another-bills-playoff-run/

Eric Wood:

Looking back at the numbers, I think this is the worst offensive stretch the Bills have had since 2009. Some of the later offenses I’ll take more blame for as an experienced leader, but my rookie year I was throwing my body around and doing anything I could.

We had a dreadful, six-game stretch that year, leading to Dick Jauron being fired. We averaged 11 points and 242 yards and never gained more than 300 yards over any of those six games. The whole experience was interesting because Jauron was a defensive coach, but we had already fired offensive coordinator Turk Schonert in the preseason. So I guess the next head to roll was Jauron’s.

That offseason, Jauron decided he wanted to run a no-huddle offense that none of our coaches were equipped to handle. It wasn’t in Schonert’s wheelhouse. It wasn’t in replacement Alex Van Pelt’s either. We wound up watching a lot of Indianapolis Colts film that preseason, but we didn’t have any former Colts coaches on our staff. We ran an offense of which no one knew the ins and outs.

Trent Edwards did some pretty special things in practice, but he couldn’t put it together in games. That might be similar to how the Bills view Nathan Peterman now.

Maybe it’s like a golfer who can’t make a putt or a kicker who can’t make a field goal anymore. The yips … You know Peterman is doing the work. You know Peterman is preparing. I’m sure he’s performing well at practice. He did last year when I was there. He gave us confidence going into any game.

He did well this preseason. He deserved to be the opening-day starter. He has done a lot of good things.

But, man, in his Sunday opportunities there have been just way too many interceptions and monumental mistakes.

If Josh Allen’s injured elbow doesn’t let him play this week, then I think you must go to Derek Anderson now and have Peterman come off the bench only in an emergency.

McDermott should give Anderson a chance to play — if Anderson can get up to speed in the playbook — because the Bills are playing such great defense. He has been in the game so long that you have to assume there are enough concepts to prep him for Sunday at Indianapolis.

What?  No raging hysteria that nobody knows what they are doing?  Just honest reflection that there has been good and bad inside the walls at OBD?

5 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

What?  No raging hysteria that nobody knows what they are doing?  Just honest reflection that there has been good and bad inside the walls at OBD?

Dicky J clearly didn't have a clue, which we all knew, but Jesus Christ it pisses me off to read that today....

Edited by Reed83HOF

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Dpo2nOlXoAUb2XN.jpg

This really highlights how lame our offense has been this year.  It's been really bad on its own merit, but considering that offense is UP across the league, our performance is in historically bad territory.  I knew the offense wouldn't be good, but there's no excuse for fielding one of the worst offenses of all time.  I think Jauron 2.0 should get another year almost no matter what, but I've had enough of hearing "it's early in year 2..."

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Dicky J clearly didn't have a clue, which we all knew, but Jesus Christ it pisses me off to read that today....

Keep that anecdote in mind the next time it looks like the Bills are doing something dumb, and the True Billievers come in with, "these are NFL coaches and they know more about football than you!!"  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

Dicky J clearly didn't have a clue, which we all new, but Jesus Christ it pisses me off to read that today....

Jauron was the best we could do since the top shelf guys such as Cowher would not come because of the malaise of Ralph being very advanced in age.  I am thankful that Ralph held it together well enough to have the team stay but that is after watching the last decade of Ralph go by versus trying to guess when Ralph might just hit the wall mentally as it unfolded.  

Losing the locker room to me is the #1 reason to not start Peterman (abilities aside)

Another thing is that if DA starts, JA can shadow him during the week(s) and see how a real veteran QB prepares and hopefully learn some things

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, buffalobillswin said:

Remember that one year when the options were Thad Lewis or Jeff Tuel and we all thought it couldn't get any worse? 

Well congrats Bills, you went and outdid yourselves. Quite the accomplishment. 

Man, I sure would love to have either of those guys right now. I attended Thad Lewis's 1st career start in relief of an injured EJ. He played well but we lost a heartbreaker in OT to Cincy.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Man, I sure would love to have either of those guys right now. I attended Thad Lewis's 1st career start in relief of an injured EJ. He played well but we lost a heartbreaker in OT to Cincy.

Yeah and if I remember correctly he was signed on a Monday and started on Sunday and played decent. No excuse not to start DA this week. 

2 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Asked?  I don't care if he put a gun to Beane's head and demanded.  That was a disastrous trade based on a completely bungled evaluation of Peterman.  

You could argue it was a completely bungled evaluation of AJM in the off season that kicked this whole thing off in the first place, compounded by the completely bungled preseason evaluation of NP.

31 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I can't jump on that bandwagon, sorry. Besides, with the WR, line and Daboll efforts being what they are this year, let your imagination run wild as to how additionally sub-par Tuel Time and TL could go! Back then there was at least an Oline and 1 or 2 guys capable of running a route with a little bit of heart.