A Few Thoughts about the Texans game, in no particular order

Virgil

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Or an AB, AJ Green, Julio Jones, ODBJ, Michael Thomas, Steffon Diggs, Mike Evans, Tyreke Hill.. they're rare but they're out there.. would be great to have a dude that can make a game winning circus catch rather than just being happy Zay isn't dropping the ball.

I want Joe Average. He'd be our second best receiver. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Pick6man

Maybe years later: Never4getPick6Pete

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I want Joe Average. He'd be our second best receiver. 

And MAYBE Joe average pulls an amazing toe tapping NFL caliber play to prove he can do elite reciever stuff a handful of times like I see random guys do every week.. ?

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Can't disagree with any of this other than the ST coach...his unit puked all over itself all game long.

Bills D has turned into one of the best units in the NFL.

I mean the Texans came in averaging 440 yards of offense, Watson had 375+ yards passing in the last 3 games and if he did it again it would have broke an NFL record ror most consecurive games with 375+ yards passing. He didn't even come close.

Bills held Texans to fewer yards than the 223 the Titans had last week, Watson was under duress all afternoon, and should have probably gotten sacked 2 or 3 more times. That goalline stand after the DPI call in the endzone was a thing of beauty.  If this team even had the offense from last year they would likely be 5-1.

If the offense was top 25 they'd have a shot at the playoffs.  Since the 2nd half of the Chargers game, they've been strong.  Couldn't believe how well they played the whole game today, with the offense doing nothing.  When the D forces turnovers on the oppents side of the field, you need to get TDs consistently...

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Nobody rooted for this kid more than me and I really wanted to see him succeed but we have to be realistic here. He's absolutely horrible. If he's in Buffalo pads on Tuesday then he's got something on his organization dirty pictures, something?

Peterman must be in McDermott's bible study group.  Maybe they can't meet without a certain number of members, and he'll have to cancel if he can't replace him?  

I will give McDermott credit - I railed against the defense after the first two games and called for his head if this continued over the course of a 16 game season.  Now they are playing like they did last year.  They are playoff caliber.  This is arguably Jerry Hughes at the best that he's been at with the Bills - he made the plays today without the boneheaded personal foul penalties.

My reaction to Peterman's performance was so conflicted.  On the one hand, I fully expected him to throw a pick six to lose the game.  On the other hand, I can't believe it's happened AGAIN.  I wish the kid well, but he needs to be let go on Monday.  A random UDFA has to be better than this, right?

I wasn't worried about Josh Allen until after this game.  It's not that I haven't seen improvement, it's that it appears he's regressed.  He lacks any sort of pocket presence, his footwork is all over the place, he takes a lot of bad sacks and makes poor throws, his accuracy is wildly inconsistent, etc.  I can't pick anything out of his game that seems to have improved.

I was 100% behind keeping him in there and letting him learn on the job.  But, he has to be learning on the job, and I'm not seeing that - he's not even staying the same, he seems to be getting worse.  I think he needs more time in the film room with someone who knows what they are doing, whether that's Daboll, Palmer, Anderson, whomever.  He needs to get the fundamentals down and a shot of confidence before they put him back out there.

I have wondered for some time if the Bills' whiffs on draft picks was due to poor scouting, or the lack of a competent coaching staff to develop these players.  As the years go by, I'm thinking it's more often the later rather than the former.  I am worried that Allen's support system is inadequate and that his talent is going to be wasted due to Daboll and company's incompetence.

Edited by sullim4
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

I wasn't worried about Josh Allen until after this game.  It's not that I haven't seen improvement, it's that it appears he's regressed.  He lacks any sort of pocket presence, his footwork is all over the place, he takes a lot of bad sacks and makes poor throws, his accuracy is wildly inconsistent, etc.  I can't pick anything out of his game that seems to have improved.

I have wondered for some time if the Bills' whiffs on draft picks was due to poor scouting, or the lack of a competent coaching staff to develop these players. 

I am worried that Allen's support system is inadequate and that his talent is going to be wasted due to Daboll and company's incompetence.

My sentiments................... exactly

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffaloflash said:

You seem to hit most points very well,I'm still in shock in that our offense gave the opposing team all their points!

I will admit, that the redeeming factor of the Outstanding game our defense played, give me great hope that we will be on the path to competitiveness in the near future. 

Our Special Teams gave up 10 points in the 1st half.  Then the Nate Peterman Fiasco happened!

I don't want to give this coaching staff a pass. They blew the game in the end.   When you are tied with under 2 minutes to go, you put the game in the hands of your best player.....McCoy...not in the hands of your backup QB who has no velocity to throw those inside-out throws.  That was just insane.  At least you could have punted and gone to over time. 

The defense gave away that big drive in the end....they ahd a 3 rd and LOOOONG and they allowed Watson to complete it.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Virgil said:

10 -  Coaching - Outside of the timeout used on 4th and short at the end of the game, I thought all the coaches did a great job.  I can' t find an area of play calling to blame for this loss.  We absolutely could have won this game and probably should have.  QB play killed us here, plain and simple.  This was a rough environment and these guys came to play.  We should probably be 3-3 right now, and that says a lot.

i have to disagree.  special teams sucked and why would you coach rayray to catch the ball at the one. me thinks let it go into the endzone..i am in no way a rayray fan.

he should be on the p.s. with a real receiver in that spot.

dabol's playcalling at times is head scratching. they get one run past watt and decide to run that same play 2 more times ( in a row ) and get stuffed.

i could be wrong here but the pick 6 play i believe was the second in a row called to kb.  why he does these things is mindboggling.

mcd...40 seconds left....mcturtle.

it's like mcd , frazier and the defense.....then theirs all those other guys. it just doesn't seem like one team on the same wavelength.

16 hours ago, Virgil said:

3 - Refs - The PI call was real. However, I can't remember a game under McDermott where we got hammered with ticky tack calls all game.  I was really worried that Tre would get rattled and loosen his coverage after the first quarter.  But the amount of calls, and more importantly the non-calls on the Bills were ridiculous.  I don't know if these guys aren't getting enough love at home, but this isn't the place to get attention.

10 -  Coaching - Outside of the timeout used on 4th and short at the end of the game, I thought all the coaches did a great job.  I can' t find an area of play calling to blame for this loss.  We absolutely could have won this game and probably should have.  QB play killed us here, plain and simple.  This was a rough environment and these guys came to play.  We should probably be 3-3 right now, and that says a lot.

Tough loss that has the Bills written all over it.  There were a ton of positives to come from this game, but still a lot of questions at quarterback.  I wish I could say that I see hope at the position and I recognize that we are only 6 games in, but it's tough right now.  Other than that, solid play by the rest of the team.

Go Bills!

3.  Refs - The refs set the tone early and often with holding calls on White.  They called both holding and PI on that game changing call in the end zone and since the ball was out of bounds and likely not catchable the correct call should have been holding.  That would be 5 yards from scrimmage and first down.  Instead they put the ball on the 1 and sealed our fate.   They missed a blatant PI on the Texans in the first half.   They called Bodine for a ticky tack holding on a QB run but let Hughes be held on numerous occasions. 

The holding and PI calls aside, ALL the other calls on the Bills were correct and point to a much bigger problemMultiple illegal formation calls in a game for several weeks now.  Multiple holding on the punt team and offsides on the kickoff team.  These thing are happening every week.  That is were I blame the coaches.  Which takes me to item #10.

10. Coaching - The defense coaches and game plan was brilliant.  The rest of the staff, including McD did a lousy job.  Look at the penalties, the atrocious special team, the predictable uninspired offense.  Special Teams and Offense set up or gave up all the points in this game.  Blocked punt, fumbled punt return, muffed kicks, penalties on coverage, horrible field position, erratic play, not at all solid.  The punter and kicker are saving the other 10 guys on the special teams.  There are breakdowns every week. 

As for the offense game plan and preparation ... I don't need to explain a thing.  How many games are we going to win averaging 12-13 points a week? 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Virgil said:

It’s hard for me to dump on Special Teams coaches when the talent simply fails. It wasn’t like there were bad calls. 

McCloud fumbled last week and then the opening kickoff yesterday. He should not have been out there for the 1st punt. That's coaching

10 hours ago, ganesh said:

Our Special Teams gave up 10 points in the 1st half.  Then the Nate Peterman Fiasco happened!

I don't want to give this coaching staff a pass. They blew the game in the end.   When you are tied with under 2 minutes to go, you put the game in the hands of your best player.....McCoy...not in the hands of your backup QB who has no velocity to throw those inside-out throws.  That was just insane.  At least you could have punted and gone to over time. 

The defense gave away that big drive in the end....they ahd a 3 rd and LOOOONG and they allowed Watson to complete it.

If Ray Ray doesn't do Ray Ray things, we win that game.

12 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Or an AB, AJ Green, Julio Jones, ODBJ, Michael Thomas, Steffon Diggs, Mike Evans, Tyreke Hill.. they're rare but they're out there.. would be great to have a dude that can make a game winning circus catch rather than just being happy Zay isn't dropping the ball.

Look at that list.  They are not really rare, especially when we trade up and waste picks on Watkins only to let him go and see his classmates turn into game changers.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Exactly. Crossman isn't coaching players to fumble and fail to block. Leave him out of this. He's fine as a ST coach.

I'm not so sure about that.  It's true that talent has a lot to do with it and better teams have guys on their roster just for special teams.   But lets not confuse better skill (talent) with basic execution and preparation.  The penalties can be corrected and the ST coaching has to take accountability for the continuous stream of penalties such as offsides on kickoffs, holding gunners on punts, blocking players in the back that have no chance of making the tackle on returns.   These things are happening multiple times in a games and in just about every game.  Coaching is a big part of it. 

How about the lack of recognition on the punt rush that caved in the entire left side of the line?  Those are the same blockers on every punt.  Looks like we missed something or they saw something in the game film to take advantage of.  That is preparation and that is coaching, 

Maybe better talent that would prevent the muffs and fumbles and the need to hold.   We just do not have any kick return threats like we used to so that part of it does point to talent. 

Despite all this our FG kicker is nails and the rookie punter has blasted some deep punts with pretty good hang time.  The two kickers are doing fine. 

Crossman has to do better.  They all do. 

8 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I'm not so sure about that.  It's true that talent has a lot to do with it and better teams have guys on their roster just for special teams.   But lets not confuse better skill (talent) with basic execution and preparation.  The penalties can be corrected and the ST coaching has to take accountability for the continuous stream of penalties such as offsides on kickoffs, holding gunners on punts, blocking players in the back that have no chance of making the tackle on returns.   These things are happening multiple times in a games and in just about every game.  Coaching is a big part of it. 

How about the lack of recognition on the punt rush that caved in the entire left side of the line?  Those are the same blockers on every punt.  Looks like we missed something or they saw something in the game film to take advantage of.  That is preparation and that is coaching, 

Maybe better talent that would prevent the muffs and fumbles and the need to hold.   We just do not have any kick return threats like we used to so that part of it does point to talent. 

Despite all this our FG kicker is nails and the rookie punter has blasted some deep punts with pretty good hang time.  The two kickers are doing fine. 

Crossman has to do better.  They all do. 

I can't remember a game in which the Bills had tons of penalties on ST (above the norm, I mean) before yesterday. And when was the last time a Bills punt was blocked? 

They were 10th in ST DVOA last season, btw. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst2017. They were 4th in 2014, 12th in 2015, and 22nd in 2016.  Over a four-year stretch through 2017, they've averaged 12th overall, and the median is 11.