Allen not showing progress

PayDaBill$

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Soda,

When he had guys that could actually play in the NFL to throw to he did put up some numbers.....when he was throwing to undraftable players he did not.....

Hasnt horse been beaten to death?

WR's have not been doing a lot of that this year......

I think that until he validates being drafted 7th overall that horse keeps breathing.   Now all the QBs drafted had flaws, so we would most likely be having this conversation regardless of who we drafted.   

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

I understand the context but if you haven't seen it at the college level what makes you think it's going to magically happen at the pro level?   There was little to no film of him throwing the ball to analyze.   There were guys from bigger school with more tape out there to look at.   I still hope Allen becomes what we need him to be, I just never did understand what it was they fell in love with other than a big arm and a positive attitude.   

Maybe I wrong, but I thought they said they went to watch him play a few times his Sr. Year. He hasn’t been playing the position as long as the others and was considered more malleable. I don’t know if he will turn out, but they did do extensive research on him, this wasn’t a flash in the pan pick because Darnold was gone...

5 minutes ago, Fred Clause said:

Maybe I wrong, but I thought they said they went to watch him play a few times his Sr. Year. He hasn’t been playing the position as long as the others and was considered more malleable. I don’t know if he will turn out, but they did do extensive research on him, this wasn’t a flash in the pan pick because Darnold was gone...

I think they would have chosen him over Darnold if they had the opportunity.  

On 10/14/2018 at 4:05 PM, PayDaBill$ said:

Is he really the answer? Looks like the least competent and ready of all the top 18 QB’s.  He’s really a raw talent almost makes we wonder if he’ll ever develop.

This is what happens when the coaching staff fcks with the QB rotation through training camp and into 80% of the preseason, instead of giving him all the reps. 

1 minute ago, Fred Clause said:

Possibly, possibly so.

I want him to be our guy.   I really do.   But I'm not going to pretend I wasn't very disappointed when we passed on Rosen.   I know that's been beat to death up and down.  And that milk's on the floor.   Hopefully a full year just working on fundamentals in the offseason, a couple of free agent linemen and some good wrs will get him where he needs to be. 

I'll be honest though, I don't think 2019 will be the year.   I think that will be his 7-9 year as he improves, and in 2020 that will be the year we will know if he's a franchise QB or not. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Look for all his athleticism Allen is going to do the most damage stepping high in the pocket and firing passes with that howitzer of his. Don’t get me wrong it’s very nice that he can do both but I want to see that arm on display. For that to happen he needs to learn to feel an NFL pocket. He’s gonna get there. I think. He looks pretty bad so far but the talent jump he’s dealing with is immense.

9 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

This discussion is woefully premature.

you know why we're having it?   How can we trust the judgement of a front office that continues to ignore how bad Peterman is, who had no backup plan for how bad Peterman is, and who also passed on two solid NFL starting QBs the year before in Watson and Mahomes.  

Of course it's premature to have this conversation.   But as much as the position has been botched in the past 18 months I don't think it's uncalled for to have this conversation.   When it comes to pass/fail, really the only position that matters is the QB position.   

I actually think it will be good for him to watch DA for the next month. Gives him some time to review the games he played in and watch a veteran handle the offense. Hopefully the team will be playing at a higher level when he gets back too.

• Like (+1) 2

I would disagree about not showing any progress because I think the ways he's improving are areas that don't show on the field....yet. When I read and listen to people who know far more about these things than I do - I will never claim to be an expert - they talk about his pocket presence improving, his footwork has shown some improvement, and settling down and not making plays that kill the opportunity, ala GB interception or basically anything from the first two games. The issue is that until those fundamental improvements become rooted in his mechanics and his game, along with getting better at reading Defenses pre-snap, those improvements will only show up in flashes or increments. 

To another extreme, for all the woeful and pitiful play Peterman put together in the game this season, I just don't know that Allen makes the throw Peterman made that gave the Bills the lead and their only TD against Houston. Then, Peterman Petermans and gives the game away because I think he was filled with confidence and thought his arm could do things it can't. So, I could be alone in this - but I just think once Allen gains that ability to mature mentally and able to read Defenses, his other mechanics have begun to show some improvement (still has times when he's flat-footed and shoulders not square to the target but it's gotten better), he will be just fine. He really did need this year to learn and adapt and grow. If Anderson plays well this week, I don't think Allen sees the field until after the bye....if at all. 

On 10/14/2018 at 5:17 PM, LFC24 said:

play to Clay on the 1st drive today where Clay was open with room to run, Allen had time to throw and pass was nowhere near him. Throws like that, he is constantly missing them. 

stop blaming everything on the supporting cast. yes we have the worst line in the league and prob the worst WR's but Allen is also a massive reason why our offense is historically bad. 

Ghosts! 

THIS is the problem with putting a rookie, who needs to be developed, on the field behind and offense that is not good enough to help him!  GHOSTS!

Ghosts are making for hurried throws and Ghosts are chasing him into the backfield instead of him climbing the pocket. 

Our "developing" QB is developing GHOSTS.

Bla, Bla, Bla...

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Can you direct me to the “Rosen Not Showing Progress” thread?

He didn't look very good last night at times, then at times he looked pretty good.   Looks way more comfortable throwing from the pocket than Allen.    and he was accurate with the ball, even when throwing interceptions. 

10 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

He didn't look very good last night at times, then at times he looked pretty good.   Looks way more comfortable throwing from the pocket than Allen.    and he was accurate with the ball, even when throwing interceptions. 

He looked utterly lost last night.

The first half was brutal.  He threw multiple picks, burned multiple timeouts due to confusion with scripted plays, and generally looked like he didn't belong on the field.

I mean, he easily could've had an 8 turnover night if Denver's DBs didn't drop 2-3 more INTs and his 3rd fumble didn't bounce right back to him.

As a guy that had Rosen as my QB1 for the 2018 draft (and supported drafting him over Allen), I definitely don't expect that to be the case every week, but that was atrocious in every way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He looked utterly lost last night.

The first half was brutal.  He threw multiple picks, burned multiple timeouts due to confusion with scripted plays, and generally looked like he didn't belong on the field.

I mean, he easily could've had an 8 turnover night if Denver's DBs didn't drop 2-3 more INTs and his 3rd fumble didn't bounce right back to him.

As a guy that had Rosen as my QB1 for the 2018 draft (and supported drafting him over Allen), I definitely don't expect that to be the case every week, but that was atrocious in every way.

Agreed. No reason to sugar coat anything. Rosen was absolutely abysmal last night.

That coaching staff might legitimately deserve to be fired 5 games into their tenure. Their team looks unprepared on a weekly basis, has no game plan whatsoever to take advantage of their skill players, is getting zero effort from their players and made the mistake of converting a pretty good 3-4 defense into a really bad 4-3 defense.

That situation in Arizona from top to bottom is a disaster. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I saw the game a lot differently then you did that's for sure.  Rosen was a wreck out there.  He missed several open receivers, threw 3 INTs and should have had 2 more.  Was careless with the ball fumbling  3 times & losing 2 of them.  His poor start doomed Arizona as they were down 21 - 3 in the 1st largely due to Rosen miscues.  

He also appeared to make several audibles on the run game and every time the play went for nothing.  Denver was clearly fooling him into thinking he could change the run play/blocking.  Most disturbing if I was an Arizona fan was Rosen's demeanor which was piss poor.  He openly threw a fit a couple of times after things didn't go his way which won't earn you many friends when your a rookie that's thrown 2 pick-sixes. 

Now does last nights game mean Rosen won't be a great NFL QB? Absolutely not.  All we saw was what happens when a rookie QB with a weak O-line goes up against a team with a decent pass rush.  Kind of like what Allen has faced this year only that in addition to a struggling O-line Allen has very little receiver talent around him.

My bet is that both Allen & Rosen will be at worst solid NFL QB's.  But only TIME will tell.  What I won't accept is any suggestion that Rosen is the better QB then Allen.  Last night should put that to rest. 

33 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

what freaking game were you watching?