Allen not showing progress

PayDaBill$

24 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Did you miss the part where Jrober38 specifically stated he did not expect a star QB off the get go?

Then what the hell did he expect? Josh Allen isn't just performing as a rookie QB, he's a rookie QB playing with serious holes on the O-line and receivers and question marks for OC and QB coach.

13 hours ago, fridge said:

I believe we gave EJ 10 games. For the record he was never as bad as Allen.

Excuse me.  EJ would stare down an open receiver 5 yards away, rooster his arm, wait and then throw it into the ground.  He was horrible. I see a lot more potential in Allen than I ever saw in EJ.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Excuse me.  EJ would stare down an open receiver 5 yards away, rooster his arm, wait and then throw it into the ground.  He was horrible. I see a lot more potential in Allen than I ever saw in EJ.

I couldn't disagree with you more.  EJ had his faults, he probably belongs where he is, but 5 games into his career I was a lot more excited for EJ.  He made some clutch plays, just like Allen, but never had back-to-back 80 yard passing games.

First of all he was the least ready of the 4 rookie qbs to start right away. People keep comparing his stats to Mayfield/Darnold/Rosen  which is ridiculous right now.  He isn't as NFL ready as those guys but given some time to work on his craft has the potential to be the best pro of them all. He was drafted because he has the highest ceiling of the four.  Not for what he is day 1 coming in. He looks exactly as advertised except the inaccuracy thing was way overblown.  You guys B word for a decade to draft a qb in the top of the first round but dont want to give it even a few games before complaining.  Its ridiculous  You dont like it go be a Cardinals fan or root for Mahomes

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/14/2018 at 4:07 PM, peterpan said:

He has so much to develop it's just so unlikely.  If it were possible you'd think it would have happened by now.  Like in college or something.....

There was a throw in the Houston game that has made me reevaluate my postion on Allen. It was a slant across the middle, receiver open, no pressure, ball thrown in the dirt 3-5 yards short of the receiver. For a tall QB probably one of the easiest throws to make. His long ball has been way way off the mark as well. If he cant get his accuracy fixed then I am afraid we will have missed on another first round QB.

Edited by billsfan_34

34 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

There was a throw in the Houston game that has made me reevaluate my postion on Allen. It was a slant across the middle, receiver open, no pressure, ball thrown in the dirt 3-5 yards short of the receiver. For a tall QB probably one of the easiest throws to make. His long ball has been way way off the mark as well. If he cant get his accuracy fixed then I am afraid we will have missed on another first round QB.

That was his first throw of the game , he was on target after that, stop being stupid...

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

All QBs are now allowed to have a poor first throw. And no, sorry, but he had many throws off the mark. 

Nope.  I actually went back and looked at each pass play in the first half.  Other than the first one he either was on target or put throws where only his guy could get it 

• Like (+1) 1

Thing with Allen is I believe he can be good but that he never will be and that’s why he was a dumb pick. 

I think Allen will run out of runway before the towel is thrown in because McBeane planned this thing so freaking poorly that they’re playing him before he’s ready. McBeane’s dumbasses are gonna get canned because of how atrociously they butchered this. 

Nobodys forgetting McDermott processed Mahomes to Kansas City. 

Then, gambling on a risky pick when a safer option was on the board — those are the moves that get guys canned. 

You dont draft Josh Allen unless you Pittsburgh, or LAC....and if ya do it, when you’re Buffalo, ya gotta have a better plan than ‘last girl to get asked to the dance’ in free agency, and the 5th round pick from the year before with a popgun arm, and fearless recklessness. 

And my god with, McDermott, I get it — he’s a defensive guy. That said, if ya wanna impress me, bolster your weakness with the talent when building and use your coaching/scheming ability to make the most out of the defense....but dude went balls to the wall on D, and left any/every QB on this team exposed. None of the 3 QBs when camp opened were solid ideas. And McDermott decided to surround those dudes with no help because he wanted to spend on defense? 

I cant believe he didn’t use one of the first two picks following Allen to get Allen a weapon. 

This is bad bad planning on McDermott and I think it causes Allen issues, and I think pressure mounts, and if McBeane get canned it may be a concession to the new coach that he doesn’t have to take Allen, and Allen gets released, and his career suffers, maybe flatlines. 

McDermotr’s offensive plan has been so idiotic from the get go. Which is another reason that makes me believe Allen’s screwed anyways, because Allen probably doesn’t have the coaches he needs around him. I could be wrong. Daboll could be great....it could all just be Allen starting too soon, or his just not being good. I don’t know. 

But I think McDermotts idiotic process has doomed him and Josh Allen to failure. 

We’ll see. Josh Allen will needa get good, real quick. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just watched the game over again (offense). It further confirmed my initial thought that Allen played much better than the stats showed.

The Watt sack was bad - 100% his fault. Two or three misfires (first pass attempt to Clay and deep throw on first possession down left sideline to Benjamin) as all quarterbacks have. He still has an issue of not trusting what he sees and holding the ball too long rather than just rocking-and-firing.

But a bigger problem this game was conservative play-calling and receivers not being talented enough to get YAC and/or make plays on the ball down the field. 

The bomb down the field that was called back thanks to Captain Dimarco was a thing of beauty. There aren't many quarterbacks able to juke JJ Watt out of his shoes and get away from him then throw a completion 40+ yards on the field on the run.

Allen was pretty streaky in college so I really would've liked to have seen how he did after that beautiful completion to Benjamin. Maybe the light went on and he finally decided to let 'er rip. But we'll never know.

Here's hoping The Franchise is healthy enough to play at home against the Bears.

Edited by Wayne Arnold
  • Like (+1) 6

I don't know how Allen will turn out.  He has been lackluster thus far IMO, but he doesn't have much help either.  Everywhere you see rookie QBs do well they have help around them most of the time.  I am also not so sure that Daboll isn't a problem.  Looking through his history the guy as an OC has never had an offense better than 20th.  32nd, 29th, 24th, and 20th are his offensive rankings as an OC.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Nope.  I actually went back and looked at each pass play in the first half.  Other than the first one he either was on target or put throws where only his guy could get it 

Stop arguing facts with these guys. Its hopeless. The fact is he had two off target passes. His first attempt and his last pass after the injury. The kid has played less than a handful of games and they are already deciding his fate. These same people would have given up on Goff. 

• Like (+1) 1