Allen not showing progress

PayDaBill$

29 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

What are you watching?  I saw maybe 1 or 2 inaccurate passes today.  Now, if you want to say he isn’t seeing the field, ok fine.  The “he is inaccurate” mantra is off in my opinion.

I agree. The biggest reason I didn't want to draft Allen originally was accuracy concerns. But he he is looking a lot more accurate now than he did at Wyoming. He had one truly inaccurate pass today and it was his first pass. He has all the physical tools - elite arm strength, elite balance, and good enough accuracy. All of his flaws are mental and that is not a bad spot to be right now. It's like learning to drive for the first time. The first time I merged onto a highway I was scared to death at the oncoming traffic. Now I've been driving for many many years and the speed of the traffic is natural. I'm better at anticipating where cars are going to be. I just needed that adjustment period. And who knows, Allen might never develop good enough field vision to be a top flight QB. But in my mind a QB with terrible field vision throws a lot of picks and Allen isn't doing that right now. He is if anything being too hesitant with the ball. If he can learn to trust what he sees and quickly read a defense he's going to be very very good. By the end of the season he should be reacting to pressure much better than he is now. I have already seen progress from the start of the season but it's going to be slow and it won't always be linear.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

QBASE has a very high rate of predicting failure for guys like Allen. Guys with negative scores like him simply are never successful. 

Contextualized Quarterbacking was another good one. Super detailed, and took into account each pass a QB threw and where it was placed to analyze accuracy among other things.

There were others but I'll have to look around. 

That’s all well and good , but it doesn’t matter. Allen is who the Bills drafted, and he’s going to get more than a few games with a bad supporting cast to show what he can do. He’ll fail or he won’t . If he does it’s on to the next guy. They truly have no other option at this point. 

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm just going off on top of my head. He was 10-17 or maybe 19? He threw one horrible pass to Clay and two bullets right to Clay. He threw two long passes to Benjamin right on the money one of which was called back. He threw a 10-15 yard pass to Zay that was dropped. He threw a nice swing pass to Shady on the run and and a WR screen on the money. He threw a bomb to Benjamin that was double covered and smart to be too long. He rolled out and threw a tremendously accurate pass against the grain to Shady. He threw a short roll out that wasn't great but in range and caught by Clay on the sidelines. He threw a ball away on the sidelines toward KB that had no chance because he wasn't open at all. Where are all these wildly inaccurate passes outside of the first play?

Considering how these drama queens are describing Allen you'd think he had gone 0-17 with 10 interceptions. What a bunch of babies.

Pats start with a fake handoff and effortless slant to Gordon for 11, this is how you play the game when you are competent

we we haven’t seen anything approaching this since Jim Kelly was in town, may not for another 29 years

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I never wanted Josh Allen to start this season. I always said that the team had no foundation for a rookie QB to succeed. What I mean by foundation is having successful offense before you install rookie QB.

It was my position on the subject. I just don't think Josh Allen can develop or be successful in that environment. Now he is dinged up and that only leads me to believe in the potential of more injury.

So I don't want to talk his development. He survived and has 2 wins and can make athletic plays. I would like to see him come into a far better situation before I judge. This offense is so bad that I don't think Tom Brady makes it work. I'm serious. The offense is holding the team back. 

i agree for the most part..but what i really agree with is that he should not be starting..hes not seeing the field properly so hes going to take hits...the reason a guy like tom brady is still playing this long is he gets the ball out so quick he rarely gets hit.

13 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Seriously the only two I could think of were that first one and the long one to Benjamin that I'm not sure wasn't intentional.

He only had 7 in-completions but for me I see him not processing what he sees and not being accurate in his time this year.  While he did not have a lot of in-completions he also had like 80 yards passing total again so whatever he is doing its not working.  The last pass was also not accurate which we could attribute to his injury but it also did not look much different from what we have seen this year. The pass he was injured on was the only quality pass I remember today, Most everything else was close to the LOS

Just now, row_33 said:

Pats start with a fake handoff and effortless slant to Gordon for 11, this is how you play the game when you are competent

we we haven’t seen anything approaching this since Jim Kelly was in town, may not for another 29 years

But it's all Allen's fault. We're one quarterback away from being Super Bowl favorites.

Just now, mattynh said:

He only had 7 in-completions but for me I see him not processing what he sees and not being accurate in his time this year.  While he did not have a lot of in-completions he also had like 80 yards passing total again so whatever he is doing its not working.  The last pass was also not accurate which we could attribute to his injury but it also did not look much different from what we have seen this year. The pass he was injured on was the only quality pass I remember today, Most everything else was close to the LOS

What about the one that got called back?

He throws some nice balls.  Not nearly enough to win games but the potential is there.

I'm not sure sitting him when Derek Anderson is ready would be so bad.  Everyone talks about hurting his confidence, but he doesn't seem like the type that would let it effect him long term.  Everyone said before and after he was drafted that he needed time to sit, perhaps they were right.

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Jets and Bills are both going through the growing pains of breaking in young QB’s.

Pats will have to do that soon - and we’ll be done with it when they do.

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

But it's all Allen's fault. We're one quarterback away from being Super Bowl favorites.

20 QBs come out this way every week, with a plan and with confidence

its called football, when are we going to have a QB playing football again?

Just now, Success said:

Jets and Bills are both going through the growing pains of breaking in young QB’s.

Pats will have to do that soon - and we’ll be done with it when they do.

Been hearing this for 10 years now, just wait....  ho ho hee hee....

then utopia will be here for Bills fans, !@#$ing whatever 

how about the organization try to catch up with the passing NFL we’ve seen since 1982???

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

What about the one that got called back?

I guess it was ok, it was an example of his arm strength but it was out of structure and I am not sure he really read it right and at the right time.  I really want to see him make plays within the plan of the play.  Obviously you take any big play but this was the issue we had with Tyrod, he could not play in rhythm.   The one he did complete to Benjamin was within structure, he threw a nice ball wiht anticipation that was not wide open, he gave his guy a chance to make a play.  I need to see it again I guess but I thought maybe that could have been even a bigger play.

14 minutes ago, Success said:

He had two of those to KB.  And a few others.

Not a huge sample, but try not to exaggerate.

Speaking of exaggerating.

He completed 11 passes for 84 yards.

One of those went for 39 yards, and one went for 22 when he committed the cardinal sin of throwing the ball across his body down the middle the field.

The other 9 completions went for 23 total yards. 

Hard to imagine there being any impressive throws in there when they averaged 2.5 yards per completion. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

20 QBs come out this way every week, with a plan and with confidence

its called football, when are we going to have a QB playing football again?

That’s what they did by finally using a top 10 pick on a QB.

Just now, jrober38 said:

Speaking of exaggerating.

He completed 11 passes for 84 yards.

One of those went for 39 yards, and one went for 22 when he committed the cardinal sin of throwing the ball across his body down the middle the field.

The other 9 completions went for 23 total yards. 

Hard to imagine there being any impressive throws in there when they averaged 2.5 yards per completion. 

What did I say that was an exaggeration?

Please be specific in your reply.