Allen not showing progress

PayDaBill$

3 minutes ago, BananaB said:

You don’t see a guy who is about to wind up to throw and then tucks  and runs or takes a sack? I see it all the !@#$ing time. I have seen it less the past 2 weeks because we haven’t been passing as much. But it is pretty routine.

I see a guy who only looks for his #1 receiver, and if they're not open he panics and tries to run.

On 3rd downs, he barely looks at his primary read. You can tell before the ball is snapped that Allen is only thinking about running. There's no effort being made to try and read the defense when it's 3rd and less than 7 yards to go and we call a pass play.

We're averaging 123 yards passing per game for a reason. Our QB is totally lost out there. 

Edited by jrober38

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I don't see any hesitation.

I see a guy who isn't even trying to read the defense. He looks like a complete deer in the headlights out there. The game is way too fast for him and his instinct is to just bail out of the pocket and run because that's what worked for him in college. 

Gotta learn how to play against men

bailing is a college child’s trick

the men in the nfL will knock your block off eventually if you keep running in chaos

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

Sorry your crusade has you all worked up. 

Have some patience with Allen and things will start to happen.  

Again maybe you need to look that word up too - I am not crusading for anything. I don’t want him benched; I didn’t say drafting him was a mistake. I think you maybe read way too much into what I said. I have patience with regards to Allen and I hope you’re right. 

The whole thread was about Allen’s progression, up to this point. That’s all I was commenting on.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

I see a guy who only looks for his #1 receiver, and if they're not open he panics and tries to run.

On 3rd downs, he barely looks at his primary read. You can tell before the ball is snapped that Allen is only thinking about running. There's no effort being made to try and read the defense.

We're averaging 123 yards passing per game for a reason. Our QB is totally lost out there. 

Really? How can you tell? Do you have special mind powers to go along with your complete lack of patience and football knowledge? jesus. 

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

On 3rd downs, he barely looks at his primary read. You can tell before the ball is snapped that Allen is only thinking about running. There's no effort being made to try and read the defense.

Panic is gonna happen when ya hesitate, especially when you are still learning

12 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Allen is hesitating. Play to play it could be for different reasons. Peterman makes quick decisions and because of it he throws a shitload of INTs.... Pick your poison I guess. You could see that pick 6 coming from a mile away. 

That's the key, we as fan don't know what transpired on any given play. Maybe in one play the guy gets open but the OL doesn't hold, sometimes the OL gives the guy time and there's nobody open. Sometimes Allen bails too quickly on the play. 

We need to be patient, as I said earlier, Allen's progression won't be pretty. 

Just now, BananaB said:

Panic is gonna happen when ya hesitate, especially when you are still learning

I haven't seen any signs of learning.

If anything Allen's pocket awareness and itch to run at the first sign of pressure has been getting worse. 

As the thread title states, Allen hasn't shown any progress. 

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

If anything Allen's pocket awareness and itch to run at the first sign of pressure has been getting worse. 

Lofton pointed out how Allen totally lost his focus on his targets at the first sign of pressure 

gotta learn this game if you want to play it well...

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Everybody thought Trunisky and Goff were garbage after their first years, i’m sure you were one of them. If they don’t start out fast their career is over right?

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

Lofton pointed out how Allen totally lost his focus on his targets at the first sign of pressure 

I usually like Lofton, sort of. At least I give him the benefit of the doubt. He was awful as an analyst all game today. Remarkably consistent in fact. 

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

Whenever they show replays of Allen in the pocket, I find he's usually not looking down field.

He's usually looking at the defenders around him, or trying to find the LB he needs to outrun for a first down.

As soon as there's any pressure or his #1 guy isn't open, Allen's eyes drop. That's a really bad trait for a QB to have. 

7 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

That's the key, we as fan don't know what transpired on any given play. Maybe in one play the guy gets open but the OL doesn't hold, sometimes the OL gives the guy time and there's nobody open. Sometimes Allen bails too quickly on the play. 

We need to be patient, as I said earlier, Allen's progression won't be pretty. 

Its gonna be a hike with him, he really should not be starting right now. But he is so we gotta be patient 

Just now, jrober38 said:

Amazing that you're able to read minds.

Just now, jrober38 said:

Whenever they show replays of Allen in the pocket, I find he's usually not looking down field.

He's usually looking at the defenders around him, or trying to find the LB he needs to outrun for a first down.

As soon as there's any pressure or his #1 guy isn't open, Allen's eyes drop. That's a really bad trait for a QB to have. 

Based on your ridiculously hyperbolic descriptions of Allen, it's miraculous that he makes any completions at all.

1 minute ago, BananaB said:

Everybody thought Trunisky and Goff were garbage after their first years, i’m sure you were one of them. If they don’t start out fast their career is over right?

For every guy like Goff who got significantly better after year 1, there are at least 5 guys who didn't get better and went on to be complete busts. 

Allen might be Goff, or he might be EJ Manuel, Kyle Boller, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey, JP Losman, Josh Freeman, Paxton Lynch, Blaine Gabbert, Brandon Weeden, Christian Ponder, Johnny Manziel, Jake Locker, Christian Hackenberg, Geno Smith, Jimmy Clausen, Brian Brohm, etc, etc, etc. 

Most QBs don't work out. The vast majority of QBs who were terrible year 1 don't go on to be successful franchise players. 

Can we run a Tim Tebow offense for Josh?  

Not many options when you have a terribly inaccurate, one read scrambler back there. 

Maybe we'll finish #1 in rushing, #32 in passing like the Broncos! 

And can we please stop comparing everyone to Goff and Trubisky? Keep in mind the massive turnaround those teams had. Can we pickup Khalil Mack?  How about a MVP RB like Gurley? 3 great receivers like the Rams have (well, we had one of them) ? Those QBs took a big leap on their own, but the team around them is going to be very challenging to establish for Allen. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

3 hours ago, billspro said:

EJ and Losman both showed some flashes as rookies. I haven’t seen any flashes from Allen yet, which is concerning because those other QBs were both busts.

I think EJ will become legendary somehow lol. He wasnt as bad as most people thought. I wont compare him and Allen yet, HOWEVER I did think of EJ after reading the scouting report. STRONG arm big and big hands accuracy issues. A raw project. We weren't patient with EJ and we are not being patient either Allen. We have to be better. 

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Allen looks exactly as advertised on the scouting reports.

He looks like a guy who should have been picked in the 4th or 5th round who would compete for a roster spot. 

He looks completely outmatched out there. There's been no progress since the Bengals preseason game. 

You are absolutely wrong.....but that is nothing new for you

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

You’re talking like he’s halfway through his 3rd season.

Glad you bailed on the “many had him as a 4th rounder” thing though.