Allen not showing progress

PayDaBill$

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

The Bills weren’t winning that game with or without Allen getting hurt.  They were lucky to win one game when your QB can’t eclipse the 100 yard mark.  They weren’t doing it two weeks in a row. 

They had a decent chance. Watson was falling apart. Our defense was on fire. 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Technically speaking, 84 yards in 3ish quarters IS progress over 82 yards in 4. Having three fingers is also better than having none, but it still isn't good.

Got a good laugh from this.

totally agree with you.  Bar is so low that folks will take any positive event as a good sign.  I’ve seen enough from both of our QBs, I’d like a new one....

4 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

The only thing i’ve seen so far that has been “as advertised” and has actually helped the team is his running ability. For such a big kid he is very fast and surprisingly elusive when he gets to the 2nd and 3rd levels on the run.

The arm strength is obviously there as well - and I haven’t seen it contribute to any plus plays thus far. Allen’s simply too raw, too skittish, too inside his own head and way too inaccurate for his cannon arm to make any sort of difference. 

Blame his weapons (they are getting open), blame his line (they are protecting adequately) all you want. You’re just making excuses and sticking your head in the sand.

Big arm does not only equal deep passes the speed he puts the ball on receivers on shorter plays is also important.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I agree. I was always for starting him but not expecting him to do well. I think this is invaluable experience for a raw rookie. The only problem is if it hurts his confidence and I just don't see that in a guy like him. 

If a QB loses confidence after a handful of rough outings, he was never going to be great, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LabattBlue said:

The Bills weren’t winning that game with or without Allen getting hurt.  They were lucky to win one game when your QB can’t eclipse the 100 yard mark.  They weren’t doing it two weeks in a row. 

I disagree...

Just now, bouds said:

Got a good laugh from this.

totally agree with you.  Bar is so low that folks will take any positive event as a good sign.  I’ve seen enough from both of our QBs, I’d like a new one....

It wasn't Josh's fault a 40 yard great pass was denied because Daboll put the fullback wide on the other side and he couldn't figure out whether he should be on the LOS or not, a rule you learn in sixth grade. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

His strong arm has contributed to at least a third of his completions so far. That's nonsense.  

Sorry I haven’t seen it. Meaning: I haven’t seen a splash passing play from Allen that a hypothetical starting QB with a perfectly “average” NFL arm could not also make. I wasn’t clear enough in my earlier post maybe. His deep balls have been terrible. They look like intentional throw aways. 

Edited by JoPar_v2

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

If a QB loses confidence after a handful of rough outings, he was never going to be great, IMO.

Yep. I never really believed in the ruin a rookie theory. I don't think any of those guys were going to be good. There are only ten guys on earth at a time that are good enough to be franchise QBs and one of the most important qualities is mental toughness x100.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JoPar_v2 said:

Sorry I haven’t seen it. Meaning: I haven’t seen a splash passing play from Allen that a hypothical starting QB with a perfectly “average” NFL arm could not also make. I wasn’t clear enough in my earlier post maybe. His deep balls have been terrible. They look like intentional throw aways. 

Did you see the ball to KB that got wiped away by penalty?

Or the ball to Shady across his body running in the opposite direction?

I watched Jay Cutler in his prime try that exact same pass Allen tried to Shady and it hit Kyle Williams in the numbers.  Cutler, as you should know, had one of the best arms in the NFL at the time.  

Progress? Allen looks worse now than he did to start the season, the kid is shell shocked and now has happy feet, not to mention being gun shy.

Beane botched this entire process, and I’m sure it’s going to cost him his job after next season. 

I don’t think Allen was ever going to turn into a franchise QB, but at least the kid deserved a shot. Beane, having no plan at the position, has forced the kid into an untenable situation,  and I think the slim chance Allen could have been good has been reduced even further.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

The only thing i’ve seen so far that has been “as advertised” and has actually helped the team is his running ability. For such a big kid he is very fast and surprisingly elusive when he gets to the 2nd and 3rd levels on the run.

The arm strength is obviously there as well - and I haven’t seen it contribute to any plus plays thus far. Allen’s simply too raw, too skittish, too inside his own head and way too inaccurate for his cannon arm to make any sort of difference. 

Blame his weapons (they are getting open), blame his line (they are protecting adequately) all you want. You’re just making excuses and sticking your head in the sand.

I am just not seeing the inaccuracy that some continue to beat the drum about.  When he throws “in rhythm” he has been quite accurate.  When he has to throw on the run or he doesn’t “see it” early and has to reset, less so, but still not alarming.  

What concerns me is his ability to process what he is seeing, yet I really wonder if anyone is open on many plays.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yep. I never really believed in the ruin a rookie theory. I don't think any of those guys were going to be good. There are only ten guys on earth at a time that are good enough to be franchise QBs and one of the most important qualities is mental toughness x100.  

Agreed. You probably could ruin a guy who could be a journeyman/backup though.  Oh well.

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

If not for the bounce of the ball on that forced fumble on Houston's last drive, Peterman is lining up in the victory formation and we win that game. So Fing close!

The offense was averaging 3.6 yards per play coming into today and that number will go down after what they just did. For context, that would rank dead last since yards per play started being tracked in 2003. It was a completely different league in 2003, so this is utterly embarrassing.

Allen is awful even though it's not entirely his fault, but if he had any hope moving forward he wouldn't be running an offense that is historically inept. I actually think the real problem is the miserably bad front office and head coach. If you can't pass in this league you will not win. They puposely put all of their resources into the defense which is a losing strategy in 2018 and completely ignored the offense. Then, they drafted a QB in the top 10 and either thought he was ready or they thought Nathan Peterman was ready to be an NFL QB. They were either completely wrong on both assessments, which means they're bad at their jobs or they had no plan at all, which means they're bad at their jobs. They are complete dumpster fire of an organization because they don't plan and they can't evaluate talent. Fun times in Western New York. 

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Probably one of the biggest things that happened today that may get overlooked was Allen finding his go to guy in Benjamin IMO.

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1