Draft another qb next year

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I totally agree.

Allen has shown me nothing that suggests he's going to be a successful NFL QB. He was a no body in high school, a mediocre prospect at JUCO, and a middle of the road QB in the Mountain West Conference. He's a big, strong, mobile, smart guy who unfortunately has very little skill when it comes to actually playing quarterback and passing the football. He's not a natural passer, and he's shown next to nothing that suggests he can consistently read a defense. If his primary read isn't open, his instinct is to run. When there's pressure around him, his eyes consistently drop which is a critical flaw with QBs. 

The issue is that I think McDermott is actually a really good coach. What he's done with the defense has been outstanding, and I think he's good at identifying problems on tape and correcting them in practice. The OL has been getting better despite featuring hardly any talent, and the defense looks like one of the best units in the league despite featuring limited high end talent. 

The problem is in the front office and particularly with the decisions they've made at QB. Going into this season with only Peterman and Allen on the roster was inexcusable. It's been a complete disaster through 6 weeks. 

Peterman can't play, and Allen has looked lost out there. As all the scouting reports said, he needed at least a year or two on the bench learning before he'd have to play, and we had him on the field halfway through the first game.

They've shown that they don't know what a good QB looks like, and as you said why would you let these guys have another shot at picking another guy?

In 3 games this season, Allen has averaged more yards per rush than yards per pass. He has more rushing TDs than passing TDs. It’s 2018, how is that even possible?

The analytics were all wrong though. When it comes to QBs, we always have the exception to the rule. It’s less disappointing to believe your guy can be the next Aikman or Favre than Locker or Gabbert.

Edited by Bangarang

The ? takes are flying around on a Monday morning.

If you expected a lot more out of Allen at this point you weren’t familiar with Allen prior to the draft. This was a high ceiling, low floor prospect with a massive learning curve. It was ALWAYS going to take time. Anyone passing judgement at this point is an idiot. 

I'm certainly hoping Allen works out.

That being said, a massive tire fire of a failure the next season and a half leading to Tua + a young offensive minded HC (someone like DiFilipo) sounds pretty appetizing.  

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you expected a lot more out of Allen at this point you weren’t familiar with Allen prior to the draft. This was a high ceiling, low floor prospect with a massive learning curve. It was ALWAYS going to take time. Anyone passing judgement at this point is an idiot. 

I think they win yesterday if Allen didn't get hurt, which would put him at 3-2 as the starter.  The hot take artist opinions would be A LOT different around here if that was the case.  My concern is still mainly an offensive support system that requires Allen to put on a superman cape just to get 3 points.

Edited by Chuck Wagon
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

In 3 games this season, Allen has averaged more yards per rush than yards per pass. He has more rushing TDs than passing TDs. It’s 2018, how is that even possible?

The analytics were all wrong though. When it comes to QBs, we always have the exception to the rule. It’s less disappointing to believe your guy can be the next Aikman or Favre than Locker or Gabbert.

Our passing offense is historically bad. 

There hasn't been a passing offense that's averaged close to 123 yards per game since the 2009 Cleveland Browns. Prior to that it's the 2005 49ers. 

We can't throw the football like anyone else in the NFL. 

They should do like other good teams & draft a QB every year until they find "The Guy" or bring in others & put them on the practice squad Faulk is still out there & he looked decent in the Titans pre season let him run the practice team ...

Allen is a raw/high ceiling prospect, he will take time to make the jump from a lowly Wyoming program to the NFL.

He will get 2-3 years minimum. If you don't like it, better look for a new team to root for.

I would be shocked if they drafted a qb in the first 2 rounds next year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, T master said:

They should do like other good teams & draft a QB every year until they find "The Guy" or bring in others & put them on the practice squad Faulk is still out there & he looked decent in the Titans pre season let him run the practice team ...

Which good teams drafted a QB every year until they got it right?

10 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Allen is a raw/high ceiling prospect, he will take time to make the jump from a lowly Wyoming program to the NFL.

He will get 2-3 years minimum. If you don't like it, better look for a new team to root for.

I would be shocked if they drafted a qb in the first 2 rounds next year.

He's also got a rock bottom floor.

If Allen continues to look lost throughout the rest of the season, it might make sense to fold our hand vs double down and inevitably lose 2 years down the road. 

I'm not saying the Bills are going to cut Josh Allen, but if there's no improvement between now and the end of the season you have to bring in a serious Plan B next year. You can't go all in on a guy who has looked this bad and just hope and pray he gets better. 

Edited by jrober38

Just now, Bangarang said:

Which good teams drafted a QB every year until they got it right?

Pretty much The Patriots they got it right continued to draft QB's then used them as trade bait to get more draft picks !! 

Of coarse they could have been like the Bills & just stopped drafting QB's when they got Brady (or thought they found someone) but they didn't , maybe it wasn't "every single year" but they always had a influx of QB's to look at because they know how important the position is 

Just now, T master said:

Pretty much The Patriots they got it right continued to draft QB's then used them as trade bait to get more draft picks !! 

Of coarse they could have been like the Bills & just stopped drafting QB's when they got Brady (or thought they found someone) but they didn't , maybe it wasn't "every single year" but they always had a influx of QB's to look at because they know how important the position is 

The Patriots example doesn’t suppport the claim you made.

9 minutes ago, T master said:

This makes sense in theory, but:

1. Buffalo has so many needs right now that they really can't afford to sacrifice a draft pick every year like this on guys that ideally won't even play a snap for them.

2. Buffalo specifically drafted a QB prospect that they knew would be bad Year 1 in the hopes that he'll be good in Year 3 or maybe Year 2 if they're lucky. It doesn't really make sense for them to draft another QB early this offseason because they almost certainly will still believe Allen is the guy by the end of the year.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

There is no one worthy.

And if the season continues as is with Allen and the offense struggling I think you do everything possible to bring in a highly touted offensive coach who's willing to work with him. If it means firing McDermott than do it.

Said Every year 

ooo I am on board with Firing McD if the offense continues like this. To be honest I dont want this regime making another QB decision anyway 

59 minutes ago, 87168 said:

the OL was not above avg, and on top of that TT was not a taken 7th overall.

...needless to say, I think most people expect a little more out a 1st rounder, 7th overall pick. I'll say this once more. I don't place any blame on JA. he has a lot of learning ahead, but that's to be expected from a rookie. the infraction falls on the Clap N Bean.

Agreed.  The good news with Allen is he does possess a rocket arm & is athletic.  The bad news is he is not accurate.  People seem to think you could teach accuracy, I am a firm believer that you can not.  Either a guy is accurate or he is not.  Van Miller once told me when discussing JP Losman he said "this kid will never make it because he is not accurate."  That was right before Losman was going into his first year as a starter(his second year in the league.)

45 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The problem is Allen is exactly who I thought he was.  Maybe he gets better, my guess is he doesn't.  The Bills are married to him now though.  There is noway they are drafting a QB high next year.  No matter how bad he looks though, I really hope the Bills don't start Anderson.  Allen needs to play.  Personally I would draft another QB next year in the first round if there is a guy you believe in, but there is no way this regime does that.

I think we could all agree that the way the league is a successful NFL QB needs to hit at a minimum 60% completion %.  He hit on 55% completion % in college, why in the would anybody think Allen could accomplish this in the NFL when he couldn't even come close to doing this in the MWC?

Edited by Gordio

46 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Our passing offense is historically bad. 

There hasn't been a passing offense that's averaged close to 123 yards per game since the 2009 Cleveland Browns. Prior to that it's the 2005 49ers. 

We can't throw the football like anyone else in the NFL. 

Say it another 80 times.  Someone might have missed it 

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

The Patriots example doesn’t suppport the claim you made.

Okay only half the time that Brady has been there did they draft a QB, Brady got there in 2000 & since then they have drafted 9 QB's & used a few for trade bait.

I couldn't find out how many UDFA QB's they brought in since then but i'm thinking there may have been a couple in that time frame & although being a UDFA QB would bolster your claim that the Pats aren't a good example it may increase the over all amount of QB's brought in just saying ...