Draft another qb next year

6 hours ago, zow2 said:

Probably 80% of us were expecting Rosen’s name to be announced on that draft night 

Personally , I was in a downtown BUF establishment. I’ll admit I facepalmed when Roger said “ Allen l. Place was very crowded, general reaction was shock. I’m still not even close to sure I was wrong. 

3 hours ago, jrober38 said:

This feels like the EJ Manuel situation all over again. 

The Bills brought in no plan B for EJ's 2nd year. He was so bad in preseason they had to bring Kyle Orton out of retirement. That team went 9-7.

The Bills would be wise to bring in someone like Orton as soon as free agency starts. If Allen stinks in preseason again, you go to the vet immediately and try to ride a great defense to the post season.

I was thinking the same thing. Admittedly, the whole discussion is a bit premature wrt Allen, but at the end of EJ's rookie year anyone with eyes knew that he was too awkward to become a franchise guy.

Allen definitely looks smoother, and is playing with an inferior supporting cast, but by year's end they should have a pretty good idea of what they have in him. 

If the outlook is grim, I'd hate to pass on the next Derek Carr because of a commitment to the sunk cost in the next EJ.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

So now we are talking about next year?  You know raw rookie QB can also improve by next year as well right?

Yup. That would be great.

He also might not improve. Might as well hedge our bets if we get the opportunity to draft another good QB. 

4 hours ago, Mike147 said:

Of course they are, but this team should not ignore the possibility of drafting a QB high if they believe they are a can't miss prospect and Josh Allen continues to perform woefully, and even if they don't take anyone high they can always consider a day two or three prospect. We aren't going to use every pick on a receiver or oline, so if someone falls pick them up. 

Obviously Allen was taken to be our QB of the future, but so was Jimmy Clausen when the Panthers picked him. They gave up on him after one year when they were presented with the opportunity to draft Cam Newton presented itself. Other teams have given up on players before. So we'd be naive to think our front office wouldn't do the same if they felt someone better was available that could upgrade that position and make us more competitive.

First of all, I tend to wonder how seriously the Panthers saw Clausen as being the future of the franchise.

The Bills clearly see Allen as the future and he deserves to be given as much time as he can, to  be the future.

Drafting another quarterback with a high pick would be a waste of time and resources.

6 hours ago, bills11 said:

even if ja was the worst qb ever..mcbeane will never draft another qb while they are here they have shown nothing but sheer arrogance with their decision making..ie sticking with peterman and not even looking at any of the qbs that year watson mahomes

Watson isn’t as good as people here think he is. 

I believe Allen is simply Losman ver. 2.0. Having said that I would use all that draft capital (including some trades of vets this year for extra picks in 2020 not 2019-we'll probably get one round better due to the delayed year) to bolster the the O and D lines and pick up a WR or two. I am probably a fossil but I think a team still wins in the trenches and I'd rather build those two units up and wait and see if Allen is as bad as I believe or as good as others hope. If  Allen busts, the team will probably be picking somewhere in the top ten in 2020/2021 and hopefully there will be several QB candidates available to draft (then mortgage your draft capital ala Wentz to get that guy). If he doesn't bust then you have a playoff caliber team with tons of draft pieces left to fill whatever holes are gaping.

14 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

None worth taking next year.

What all you guys said about Mahomes last year. 

14 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Rosen’s 0 Td’s yesterday would have helped us win all the games ??‍♂️??‍♂️

The 240 yards probably would have...

Edited by Elite Poster

14 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

The 240 yards probably would have...

So 7 field goals huh ??‍♂️????

15 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

What all you guys said about Mahomes last year. 

Use the search function before telling stories. 

Lots of guys here wanted mahomes/Watson/trubisky 

8 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Come on!

Alllen is one ultra bad sub away from being 3-2, against playoff bound teams.  He is leading the team to wins, making plays, and learning on the run.

Yup, not a pretty offense today.  But Allen didn't make the big error, gave the Bills a chance;  Bills should have won.

No one thought this team was going to be good this year.  They are, and Allen is clearly an important part of that.

The Bills just need to find their legs on offense.

I think that is a key part of his development, he isn't making glaring mistakes, which I think is a good thing right now. The rest will come, but if he didn't have it there would be mistakes all over all the time and that isn't happening. 

15 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

The problem is is that he's the same quarterback he was in college. He does the same things, has the same shortcomings and hasn't made any leap yet. His accuracy is awful. Just like it was in college. Okay so 5 games in, but you know what? Sit him. Let's find somebody who can at least move the chains while we wait for this guy to develop. 

I agree with this.  I am willing to give Allen a chance, it has been only 5 games, but....the thing that concerns me is that Allen is who I thought he was.   He was not very good in college.  Look at his stats last year @ Wyoming.  The only game he threw for over 300 yards was against Gardner Webb.  I believe he threw for like 60 yards against Oregon & 94 yards against Hawaii, who had a horrible defense.  His completion % was in the mid 50s his two years a s a starter.  The accuracy and ball placement are just not there.  Coupled that with the fact that he doesn't really read defenses well & given the fact what the Bills traded up to get him & this is going to set the franchise back for years.  I just can't believe time & time again that the pro's that are paid to evaluate overlook production in college & accuracy in college & are mesmorized because the guy could throw it 90 yards in the air.  I hope this works out but I have serious doubts it will.  Watching Allen play, I don't know how anybody could not.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I suspect that's not what Allen needs.  His greatest need is probably a competent line and receivers - right now, running for his life, he has no chance to correct his bad habits and is developing new ones.  He not only has no chance to develop, he's in a situation where he's likely as not regressing.

Of all the criticism McDermott and Beane get, the one that they get lest but deserve most is the blinding idiocy of trading Taylor and McCarron, and deciding that Peterman and Allen alone were sufficient enough at the position.  That was a !@#$ING stupid decision.  In the handbook of "How to Develop a Quarterback," that's the chapter "Of All The Possible Things You Can Do, DO NOT EVER Make This Roster Move."

He is not running for his life though.  He has had time, he had time against Tenn, he had time yesterday imo.  Now I am not sure if no one is open, but the line has not been as bad as everybody says it is.  

Allen wasn’t my guy but he certainly is going to get time. He was an incredibly raw rookie from Wyoming. For those of you that expected him to come out and dominate, you are idiots. That was never going to happen. We are 6 weeks into his career. The Bills aren’t taking another guy early next year. If you are trying to convince yourself that may be a possibility, don’t bother. He’s the guy through at least next year and we will see what happens. Get him some weapons and hope he develops.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Allen wasn’t my guy but he certainly is going to get time. He was an incredibly raw rookie from Wyoming. For those of you that expected him to come out and dominate, you are idiots. That was never going to happen. We are 6 weeks into his career. The Bills aren’t taking another guy early next year. If you are trying to convince yourself that may be a possibility, don’t bother. He’s the guy through at least next year and we will see what happens. Get him some weapons and hope he develops.

This

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
  22   qb   7 7   112 205 54.6 1089 5 2.4 7 3.4 66 5.3 4.3 9.7 155.6 63.6 18.9 26 222 3.75 2.82 11.3     -2

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
  23   QB   12 12   196 330 59.4 2193 7 2.1 7 2.1 70 6.6 6.1 11.2 182.8 77.5   31 196 5.53 5.05 8.6     7

22   qb   7 6   126 204 61.8 1699 19 9.3 8 3.9 72 8.3 8.4 13.5 242.7 103.0 83.6 19 116 7.10 7.19 8.5     7

22   QB   6 5   75 139 54.0 832 2 1.4 5 3.6 57 6.0 4.7 11.1 138.7 61.8 28.9 21 167 4.16 3.00 13.1    

21   QB   6 6   107 179 59.8 1346 9 5.0 7 3.9 76 7.5 6.8 12.6 224.3 83.7 45.4 13 85 6.57 5.86 6.8  

23   QB   4 3   85 153 55.6 1076 4 2.6 5 3.3 59 7.0 6.1 12.7 269.0 72.8 46.6 13 86 5.96 5.09 7.8    

21   QB   4 3   50 90 55.6 626 2 2.2 2 2.2 75 7.0 6.4 12.5 156.5 75.5 49.7 7 54 5.90 5.38 7.2    

Without looking up who these guys are they are all in the same boat except one guy who did phenomenal as a rookie. They all need or needed more time including our guy if you can even pick out which one he is without doing some research. Without a doubt our guy has the absolute least to work with, that's not even debatable. To not afford him time to learn and grow is ludicrous.