Bills vs. Texans Postgame - Great Defensive Effort Goes to Waste

I am in no way defending Nate Peterman. He had a chance to win this game and instead, he did what we know he does. 

With that said, he in no way is responsible for the loss. He made some nice throws to get us in position to win. Because of him, we almost won that game. We were down when he was called in and he brought us back.  

The reality is.... that game should have been won long before the last 3 minutes of the game. I’ve never seen a team play so well on defense and win the turnover battle only to be backed up by an offense that can’t put drives together. And this isn’t just today; this is becoming a theme for our Bills. The whole “win ugly” idea is a bunch of bs. Winning ugly is just an excuse for lacking ability on offense. The FO may not be willing to salvage this year by adding offensive firepower and at this point I don’t blame them. It’s too late. But this season could have been different and I put the blame on management/coaching staff. I’m not even sure I blame the coaches entirely, they have been dealt a terrible hand by our gm and are probably doing the best the can with what they have. I don’t know what my point is aside from... this offense is garbage. Allen isn’t there yet, peterman shouldn’t have made it beyond week 1 and at this point even wins like last week are tough to watch let alone losses like today where it felt like we should’ve been up 10 an not down 10. Someone save us....

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Total and utter crap.

I'm one of the biggest "Peterman haters" on this board. It absolutely baffled me since last summer that posters like you believed Peterman even had the arm strength to be an NFL QB.

I loathed the idea of him starting week 1 because of exactly what happened week 1. But that doesn't mean the moment he was under center as the starter I was hoping desperately I was wrong. The same went for today. When we scored that TD I was super stoked because I thought that put the game on ice because of how great our defense was. Then we had to score because they tied it up.

Still hoping desperately for a miracle...

The inevitable happened :doh:

He does suck. Horribly. That doesn't mean I want him to... especially as he's taking snaps for my favorite team.

My understanding is we're all pretty diehard Bills fans considering the time we spend on this message board and other things Bills. All of us likely feel exactly that way.

You seem to be still upset the guy you thought should start as the Summer was ending actually sucks so much, thus proving you very, very wrong.

Don't get too upset. Just another one of the guys looking for any excuse to attack other posters.

Peterman plays well- other posters are &#@!'s for not believing in him.

Peterman plays badly- other posters are %$#@'s for "wanting him to fail."

• Thank you (+1) 1

Joe B: 7 Observations from Buffalo Bills vs. Houston Texans (10/14/18)

(WKBW) - There were 13 minutes left on the clock at NRG Stadium. The Buffalo Bills saw backup quarterback Nathan Peterman lead a touchdown drive to put the Bills ahead of the Houston Texans, erasing a 10-point lead in what had previously appeared to be a slowly building deficit.

Then, Peterman -- and the rest of the Bills by association -- imploded. The second-year quarterback threw a pick-six and went from possible hero to goat within a half an hour. The Bills wound up losing 20-13, which brings their record to 2-4 on the 2018 season.

How did it all happen? Seven observations from the Bills' most recent loss:

1) Josh Allen struggles again, and now might miss time
2) Blame Peterman for another collapse, but blame McDermott more
3) The defense is legit, folks
4) Kyle Williams gives his best performance of 2018
5) White passes his biggest test
6) Special teams gifted the Texans their lead
7) Zay Jones is beginning to turn a corner

Bills MVP: SLB Lorenzo Alexander
- His tip-drill interception was a thing of beauty. Adding 1.5 sacks on the game was also another indication that Alexander might be having the best season of his career, which is saying something considering how good he was two seasons ago.

Bills LVP: QB Nathan Peterman
- Another unraveling for Peterman has to leave you wondering what his future is with the Bills, considering this is now a theme with him in his career.

Up Next: The Bills (2-4) take on the Indianapolis Colts (1-5) on the road on Sunday, October 21 at 1:00 pm.

Dominant Defense Not Enough as Bills Blow It Against Texans

HOUSTON (AP) — Johnathan Joseph’s 28-yard interception return for a touchdown with 1:23 remaining lifted the Houston Texans to a 20-13 victory over the Buffalo Bills on Sunday.

The Texans trailed by three when Phillip Gaines was called pass interference on Will Fuller in the end zone with two minutes remaining, moving the Texans 41 yards to the 1-yard line.

But the Texans (3-3) lost seven yards on three plays, capped by an incomplete pass intended for Ryan Griffin that Matt Milano knocked down to force Houston to kick.

A 27-yard field goal by Ka’imi Fairbairn tied it with 1:34 remaining.

Two plays later Joseph stepped in front of a pass from backup Nathan Peterman that was intended for Kelvin Benjamin and dashed untouched into the end zone to put the Texans on top and help them avoid their third straight overtime game.

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

When I first read the first sentence I thought he was going to be talking about Benjamin :P

Sal's Sticks: Bills at Texans

BillsHouston.jpg?itok=q6ih1AdJ&c=ec490ae

What a horrible loss and way to lose for the Bills.  They had an excellent opportunity to get to .500 after such a disastrous start to the season.  But not only did they fall short, they did it in heartbreaking and frustrating fashion.  The defense played lights out once again.  The offense, not so much (again).  So let’s get to The Sticks…..

BEHIND THE STICKS
QB Nathan Peterman
WR/PR Ray-Ray McCloud III
Blocked punt/Overall special teams play
QB Josh Allen under pressure
Penalties

AHEAD OF THE STICKS
The Defense!!
Linebackers
CB Tre’Davious White on WR DeAndre Hopkins
Bills’ OL on Watt and Clowney

THE BIG PICTURE
I’m now in my fifth year as the Bills’ Radio Network sideline reporter.  Throughout that time this was the toughest loss to digest that I’ve been around.  To say the game was there for the taking would be a massive understatement.  Because it was more than that.  They were in great position to win it, and should have.  To lose the way they did is heartbreaking for the fans and frustrating for the team.

We can talk a lot about how they put themselves in this position by having Nathan Peterman as their only backup plan if Allen got hurt (until Derek Anderson is ready to play).  And that’s right.  It never should have gotten to that point.  But it did.  So here they were.  I don’t believe Allen would have made the same mistake Peterman did, as far as the decision to throw that ball where he did in that spot.  And even if he did try his arm strength would’ve maybe allowed for it to get there much earlier, not allowing the cornerback to break on it so well.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Are you kidding.   Yes, mistakes were made, but this game should have gone into overtime.  Peterman single handedly gave this game away. 

He did, I'm not denying that.

But, the game and the situation handed over to Peterman could have been much much different had some of those mistakes not been made.

My biggest concern is for Allen to physically and mentally survive till this offense and coaching are rebuilt. Losing Richie, Wood and Kromer made too big of a setback  for Allen to develop properly. Special team miscues and penalties  should be easier to fix.  jmo

1 hour ago, ALF said:

My biggest concern is for Allen to physically and mentally survive till this offense and coaching are rebuilt. Losing Richie, Wood and Kromer made too big of a setback  for Allen to develop properly. Special team miscues and penalties  should be easier to fix.  jmo

....not sure if "coaching rebuilt" is something McDermott will consider.....what are the redeeming qualities of Crossman from regime to regime?.........is Castillo the right guy for the OL Coach position?.......sure Dabumble has a steep OC learning curve, but how long does that "curve" take?.....he seems to be lacking in fundamentals, innovativeness and ability to adjust......will McDermott man up and consider changes?....stay tuned............

....D&C's Maiorana grade........

Coaching: D

Oct 14, 2018; Houston, TX, USA; Buffalo Bills head coach Sean McDermott reacts during the second half against the Houston Texans at NRG Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

Oct 14, 2018; Houston, TX, USA; Buffalo Bills head coach Sean McDermott reacts during the second half against the Houston Texans at NRG Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports (Photo: Kevin Jairaj, Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports)

The defensive staff, led by Sean McDermott and Leslie Frazier, saves this from being an F. The Bills were outstanding as they held the Texans to 219 yards, 3 of 13 on third down, and forced three turnovers. On offense, Brian Daboll has nothing to work with. Nothing. His game plans haven’t been effective, but I’m not sure how much of that blame lies with him. What else is he supposed to do with this offense given the players he has? As for Danny Crossman, he needs to take a serious look at what ails his kicking teams because they basically cost the Bills this game with those 10 free points they provided in the first half. As for McDermott, he foolishly wasted a timeout in the fourth quarter to save five meaningless yards, and his team committed 12 penalties, many of them pre-snap. Not a good look.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

10 hours ago, Castellar said:

I am in no way defending Nate Peterman. He had a chance to win this game and instead, he did what we know he does. 

With that said, he in no way is responsible for the loss. He made some nice throws to get us in position to win. Because of him, we almost won that game. We were down when he was called in and he brought us back.  

The reality is.... that game should have been won long before the last 3 minutes of the game. I’ve never seen a team play so well on defense and win the turnover battle only to be backed up by an offense that can’t put drives together. And this isn’t just today; this is becoming a theme for our Bills. The whole “win ugly” idea is a bunch of bs. Winning ugly is just an excuse for lacking ability on offense. The FO may not be willing to salvage this year by adding offensive firepower and at this point I don’t blame them. It’s too late. But this season could have been different and I put the blame on management/coaching staff. I’m not even sure I blame the coaches entirely, they have been dealt a terrible hand by our gm and are probably doing the best the can with what they have. I don’t know what my point is aside from... this offense is garbage. Allen isn’t there yet, peterman shouldn’t have made it beyond week 1 and at this point even wins like last week are tough to watch let alone losses like today where it felt like we should’ve been up 10 an not down 10. Someone save us....

He threw a pick 6 at the end of a tie game...that play lost the game so he actually is responsible

1 hour ago, nucci said:

He threw a pick 6 at the end of a tie game...that play lost the game so he actually is responsible

By that logic, he is also responsible for us even being in that game. 

This is a lose/lose topic. Based on how we were playing, we never would have had the chance to “blow” this game. That’s where we are on offense, we were dependent on a guy that shouldn’t even be in the nfl and he nearly won us the game. 

2 minutes ago, Castellar said:

By that logic, he is also responsible for us even being in that game. 

This is a lose/lose topic. Based on how we were playing, we never would have had the chance to “blow” this game. That’s where we are on offense, we were dependent on a guy that shouldn’t even be in the nfl and he nearly won us the game. 

but instead, he lost it

Refocused, NFL Week 6: Houston Texans 20, Buffalo Bills 13 | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

REFO-6-768x419.png

Keys to the Game:

Houston:
Although the Texans won, the poor play of Watson was the main reason the Texans were in the game. Watson needs to take better care of the ball, as he was far too careless with it in traffic and had far too many avoidable fumbles.

Buffalo:
The key to the game ultimately came down to one terrible pass by Peterman. It was about as risky of a throw as possible with little upside. Peterman continues his struggles as a member of the Bills, and the Bills have to hope that Allen is healthy because it looks like Peterman doesn’t give them a chance at this point.