Bills vs. Texans Postgame - Great Defensive Effort Goes to Waste

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

Yeah for some reason this game just stung more than the others. Honest to Christ, they just waited for that sideline pass for the pick-6 cuz everybody knew it was coming, me included. What's doubly frustrating is that the o-line didn't do terribly, we had a run game, and still p*** poor play from the quarterback position. 

It does for sure- what a joke we are again. Year in and year out the Bills continue to throw wins away- today it was done with horrible play calling on offense, piss poor QB play, and atrocious special teams. Danny Crossman should be shown the door. Daboll will get a pass- its too early into his tenure plus that would make 2 OC’s gone in less than a year. That would be McD got it wrong twice in a row.

Can't believe how very few are bashing the offensive line that are appearing weekly in Bills uniforms as living theme park turnstiles.

After watching the pick six play, you can clearly see a defender running with a full head of steam unblocked at Peterman. He panicked and choked. Bad throw, yes...but the o-line and coaching blow...plain and simple.

No one was picking up that block, but Peterman is just not good enough to see it and either try to elude or throw it away.

I think Allen would have seen that and threw it away or would have at least tried to elude the blitzer.

Edit - A player did pick up the blitz just before Peterman got smoked. Peterman with the jitters and yes, too many mistakes are going to cost him a job.

Edited by Bacchus44

56 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Look at these numbers!  That should spell a win every time! :(

Their performance was so good that this week in took both an inept offense and terrible special teams to turn it into a loss.

• Like (+1) 1

What We Learned from Sunday's Week 6 Games

1. Sunday was a battle of bad offensive lines. Deshaun Watson and Josh Allen were pressured relentlessly, and the results weren't pretty: Watson threw two interceptions and fumbled three times (losing one), and Josh Allen suffered an elbow injury that knocked him out for the rest of the game. On one possession that ended in Buffalo's first points of the afternoon (three, by way of kicker Stephen Hauschka), Allen had to scramble them into field goal range. None of the runs were designed. All of the shoddy protection led to an ugly day for offenses, save for the occasional Watson or Allen ad-lib that led to short completions. Oh, and that fantastic touchdown grab by DeAndre Hopkins.

There were a couple positive notes for the Bills, though: Zay Jones' touchdown catch was a nice example of a receiver winning a matchup with a well-run route. Allen continued on his slow climb toward looking more comfortable as a starting NFL quarterback (though emphasis should be placed on "slow"). The Bills defense was good, getting multiple key stops and holding Houston to a field goal when it had the ball at first-and-goal on the Buffalo 1. In the end, a familiar face did the Bills in, though.

2. For what I believe is the first time, television announcers openly questioned Nathan Peterman's future with the Bills after he threw a crushing, decisive pick-six with less than two minutes to play in a tight game. It fit right into the Peterman narrative of interceptions, but came at a horrible time in a game in which Peterman was finally showing (at least small glimpses) why Buffalo has maintained this odd infatuation with his potential. 

After the game, Peterman went on about not finding his identity in football. Perhaps that's how this should go.
It doesn't help that things don't seem entirely right for Buffalo's offense. Kelvin Benjamin finished with two catches for 43 yards on six targets, hours after reportedly telling Allen in warmups he didn't want to work on routes with the rookie. That's not a good look for an offense that only had 83 total yards through 39 minutes of action (but finished with 229) Sunday.

3. Someone get a gold ribbon for Houston's special teams. The Texans took advantage of a punt muffed by rookie Ray-Ray McCloud, recovering it and setting the Texans up for their first touchdown of the day (the aforementioned strike to Hopkins). Far from finished, the punt return team managed to block a Corey Bojorquez punt, which deflected toward the sideline before it was recovered by Houston. That ended up producing a field goal and a 10-0 halftime lead. It was the first time in franchise history (dates back to 2002) that the Texans strung together those two accomplishments in a game. It also gave a cushion they needed once Buffalo's offense gained a heartbeat, and helped Houston to its third straight win after starting 0-3.

-- Nick Shook

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

2. For what I believe is the first time, television announcers openly questioned Nathan Peterman's future with the Bills after he threw a crushing, decisive pick-six with less than two minutes to play in a tight game. It fit right into the Peterman narrative of interceptions, but came at a horrible time in a game in which Peterman was finally showing (at least small glimpses) why Buffalo has maintained this odd infatuation with his potential. 

I literally laughed out loud when I heard that. I mean if that doesn't fall into the "no kidding" category then what does. Very insightful.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

There were those wanting it.  Just to say he sucks.  

Hoping he didn’t screw up over is a bit different 

Total and utter crap.

I'm one of the biggest "Peterman haters" on this board. It absolutely baffled me since last summer that posters like you believed Peterman even had the arm strength to be an NFL QB.

I loathed the idea of him starting week 1 because of exactly what happened week 1. But that doesn't mean the moment he was under center as the starter I was hoping desperately I was wrong. The same went for today. When we scored that TD I was super stoked because I thought that put the game on ice because of how great our defense was. Then we had to score because they tied it up.

Still hoping desperately for a miracle...

The inevitable happened :doh:

He does suck. Horribly. That doesn't mean I want him to... especially as he's taking snaps for my favorite team.

My understanding is we're all pretty diehard Bills fans considering the time we spend on this message board and other things Bills. All of us likely feel exactly that way.

You seem to be still upset the guy you thought should start as the Summer was ending actually sucks so much, thus proving you very, very wrong.

What they're saying: Bills stronger up front but need to continue to develop to win close games

nphhfidywon5jpbep4qg.png

1 - Sean McDermott: ‘Those guys out there battled’

2 - Zay Jones ‘proud’ of Nathan Peterman

3 - Nathan Peterman eager to learn from loss

4 - Lorenzo Alexander: ‘We were better than them up front’

5 - Jordan Poyer on stellar defensive play

Kelvin Benjamin: "Play Our Ball" (2:24)

Bills Wide Receiver Kelvin Benjamin talks about his performance versus the Houston Texans and more...

Micah Hyde: "It's a Team Effort" (2:22)

Bills Safety Micah Hyde talks about the team's performance against the Houston Texans and more...

NFL Week 6 Grades: Steelers get 'B+' for comeback win, Dolphins get 'A+' for winning with Osweiler

Houston 20-13 over Buffalo

BUF.pngBills: C

After what happened in Houston, there's a good chance Bills fans are never going to want to see Nathan Peterman on the field ever again. With the game tied at 13, the Bills quarterback threw an interception on two consecutive possessions, including a pick-six that provided the game-winning points for the Texans. The Bills better hope Josh Allen's injury isn't serious because they won't be going very far this season with Peterman under center. Peterman's performance overshadowed a big day from a Bills defense that sacked Deshaun Watson seven times.

HOU.pngTexans: B-

The Texans had an ugly day of offense (three turnovers, Deshaun Watson got sacked seven times), but that didn't matter, because the team's defense and special teams came through big time. The two units set up 17 of Houston's points with some impressive play. In the first half, the Texans blocked a punt (that led to a field goal) and recovered a muffed ball from a Bills return (that led to a touchdown). The Texans also got a game-winning pick-six from Jonathan Joseph in the fourth quarter. After starting 0-3, the Texans are now looking like of the scariest teams in the AFC South.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz