Josh Allen injury: “Week-to-Week” with elbow sprain; Returned to practice 11/2

YoloinOhio

29 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

I think the other line of thinking is that Allen isn’t progressing and it may be better to go back to the original plan of sitting him for the year to learn.

I thinking sitting a few games could help but on field reps is the most valuable and honestly, he may be the better option when fully healthy 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

PRP?  Might as well just inject vaporized $100 bills into the wounded area.  Total voodoo.  I don't agree with many insurance coverage exclusions, but this one is legit.   No solid studies back up the use of this stuff and no one knows exactly how it might work, even if it did.  It appeals to rich athletes without obvious surgically correctable problems.  Often they have to leave the country to get this therapy..

The 100% true part of this is the insurance company exclusion and that there are to date no solid studies backing up its use for healing ligaments or cartilage and that no one knows exactly how it works.  If you've had personal dealings with it, I wouldn't want to buck your clinical experience either.  On the other hand, this is kind of my professional thing (not PRP per se, pharmaceutical use of biologics)

It isn't total voodoo, and they shouldn't have to leave the country for just for PRP.  It's known that PRP is enriched for growth factors and it has some good results in vivo animal studies.  CBER (Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research) has approved a bunch of PRP preparations under 510(k) for bone graft applications.  I caught a seminar about 10 yrs back and the preparation being presented seemed pretty legit for the presented use (intractable disjunctions or reconstructions if I recall correctly).  The injections for healing other tissues are then allowed "off label" (but insurance rightly won't cover off label uses).

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh Gawd that play.  Exhibit 101 of why Allen is Just Not Ready to play QB - if he ever does get there.

Right before he takes off, he has Clay wide open for an easy pitch and catch of 10 yds.  Clay is on the LOS with no one within 10 yds at the time he looks right at Allen, and his chances of running for the 1st are better than Allen's who is 8 yds back at that point, even if Allen fancies himself as a runner more than Clay.  If Allen didn't pull the trigger because he doesn't have confidence in himself he can make that throw while on the run, he simply can't play QB in the NFL - and I'm not one of the folks who is all "insta-bust" about him.

I doubt that's the case; it's either that he (a) didn't have confidence in his receiver, (b) didn't see his receiver, or (c) thought he could make an even better play on his own.  Probably a combination of the above.

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I doubt that's the case; it's either that he (a) didn't have confidence in his receiver, (b) didn't see his receiver, or (c) thought he could make an even better play on his own.  Probably a combination of the above.

Oh, Lordy.  Well, if Allen doesn't have confidence that Clay can make a catch like that, that's a big problem.  He also appears to be looking right at him.

In Allen's defense, he is under pressure and may think the DB would nail him before he could make the throw or lack confidence that he can make the throw whilst running full tilt.

Our blocking scheme/pass game just do not seem well synched to cope with overload blitzes.

image.png.b9077344ade749604b466a2ab6d4304e.png

image.thumb.png.8c3bd2701a00482f0b575f3a30b1fa0e.png

32 minutes ago, kelchlsm said:

Whats the most bills-like scenario that can happen?

Nate starts against the Colts and somehow, inexplicably, does relatively well (145 yards, one TD, only one INT) and the Bills win a squeeker.  Nate signs to a big multi-year extension, then immediately reverts to the Nate we all know on MNF against the pats with a spectacular 5 interception total faceplant performance and we all seek psychiatric help for catastrophic PTSD.

What I want to know is WTF hasn't Mercilus been fined for deliberate attempt to injure?  That POS deliberately lowered his helmet into Josh's arm, and it was LONG AFTER the ball was gone.  But as another poster pointed out in the GDT, Troy Vincent is a proponent of injuring QB's, so I guess expecting discipline was too much to ask for.  The NFL is a ***** joke, since the only QB's they give a ***** about protecting are Marcia and A A Ron.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kelchlsm said:

Whats the most bills-like scenario that can happen?

Allen comes back for a meaningless game in December and reinjures his elbow requiring surgery?

Only to be out the 2019 season, our front office will refuse to draft another QB or address in FA and this vicious cycle repeats itself.

Spinning the wheels from irresponsible leaders. 

Edited by COTC

14 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

What I want to know is WTF hasn't Mercilus been fined for deliberate attempt to injure?  That POS deliberately lowered his helmet into Josh's arm, and it was LONG AFTER the ball was gone.  But as another poster pointed out in the GDT, Troy Vincent is a proponent of injuring QB's, so I guess expecting discipline was too much to ask for.  The NFL is a ***** joke, since the only QB's they give a ***** about protecting are Marcia and A A Ron.

nothing remotely wrong with Mericlus's contact there.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Officially official statement... reported timetable of at least 2-3 games not confirmed

How on earth does McDermott stand up there with a straight face and talk about how it will be good for Allen to see how a veteran QB prepares and go through the week with him as if this is some great improvement, when it was something they could have arranged from the start and never did?

And then to talk about Peterman having the same opportunity and it being good for him too, when everyone in the NFL must be able to see that Peterman just can't play?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How on earth does McDermott stand up there with a straight face and talk about how it will be good for Allen to see how a veteran QB prepares and go through the week with him as if this is some great improvement, when it was something they could have arranged from the start and never did?

And then to talk about Peterman having the same opportunity and it being good for him too, when everyone in the NFL must be able to see that Peterman just can't play?

I just posted something similar in another thread - but to me it seems that if the team's commitment was to rebuilding for the future beyond this season first and foremost, why didn't they just bench Allen earlier or whenever they wanted? Under the same logic, you can start him or play him whenever you felt like it. Doesn't have to be all or nothing. Have him run a few scripted plays per game to get experience with his reads at times, and/or have him play the full game and see how he strings a drive together at times. Either way he's developing.

If it's for the purpose of protecting your future investment and giving him the best environment to learn and develop just own the decision and go with it. The media can create circuses out of what we've seen so far, and in watching these pressers I feel like McD and Beane have been backpeddling trying to save face with lack of confidence in their decisions. There's no need - just make your decisions and stick with them. Don't think the playoffs were ever a realistic expectation this year, so stop feeding into people pretending we should have been a 9/10+ win team and commit to your process.

Edited by ctk232

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

he is up the creek and hoping to keep getting them checks for a few more years

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

He routinely looks to run instead of passing. I’m fairly certain on many  3rd downs he’s decided to run before the ball is snapped.

This has nothing to do with him not trusting that his WR could make a play and much to do with his early success running the ball and hence he has way more cinfidence in his feet than he does his reads.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he sees the trouble Peterman has had with turnovers and is afraid to make mistakes with the ball.

People are quick to throw out the “bust” or “he’s terrible” label if a QB turns the ball over but if a QB just leads an inept offense that can’t score or get first downs he’ll be treated to the “he’s young” reasoning and get two full years. Safest way to avoid turnovers is to not pull the trigger on 3rd and long.

21 minutes ago, MDH said:

He routinely looks to run instead of passing. I’m fairly certain on many  3rd downs he’s decided to run before the ball is snapped.

This has nothing to do with him not trusting that his WR could make a play and much to do with his early success running the ball and hence he has way more cinfidence in his feet than he does his reads.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he sees the trouble Peterman has had with turnovers and is afraid to make mistakes with the ball.

People are quick to throw out the “bust” or “he’s terrible” label if a QB turns the ball over but if a QB just leads an inept offense that can’t score or get first downs he’ll be treated to the “he’s young” reasoning and get two full years. Safest way to avoid turnovers is to not pull the trigger on 3rd and long.

This.

Pure speculation, but he appears VERY afraid to make a mistake.

With young QB's, I can live with turnovers if a guy is trying to make a play. What I can't accept and what sets off alarm bells is a guy who's afraid.

Everyone talks about Peyton Manning as a rookie, this guy as a rookie, that guy as a rookie. The biggest knock on them was that they were turning the ball over. They were generally showing flashes and moving the football. The sheer futility is one, gigantic red flag.