Josh Allen injury: “Week-to-Week” with elbow sprain; Returned to practice 11/2

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, GG said:

Wouldn't Allen be in between a pitcher & position player?  I don't think Didi throws the ball 30 times in a game and more than 150 times during a week

EDIT: http://riveraveblues.com/2018/10/thoughts-following-didi-gregorius-tommy-john-surgery-179974/

"The typical Tommy John surgery rehab timetable is 6-9 months for position players but that does vary by player and position. Catchers need more rehab time than outfielders, for example. Gleyber Torres had his Tommy John surgery in June and was more or less ready to go by January, though he had surgery on his non-throwing elbow, which is a different animal. Gregorius needs surgery on his throwing elbow. Jay Jaffe did some digging and found that middle infielders who had Tommy John surgery on their throwing elbow missed ten months, on average. That puts Gregorius on track to return next August. Tony Womack returned in six months. Rafael Furcal was out 15 months. Mets utility man T.J. Rivera had Tommy John surgery last September and missed the entire 2018 season with setbacks and whatnot. There’s a wide range of possible outcomes here. Point is, no one really know when Gregorius will be back. There is a chance — a pretty good chance, really — he will play next season. Possibly even as early as May or June. That seems to be the best case scenario."

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

He throws 3-4 times between innings every inning!  He also averages 375 assists per year not including preseason etc. NFL QBs average around 450 throws per full season. Not much difference, and they don't throw it as hard as an MLB shortstop.

I think you're forgetting the 3 weekly practice sessions, where Allen probably throws at least 50 passes

1 minute ago, GG said:

And he's also a regular contributor on Sirius/XM NFL channel.   This is what he does when there's an injury to a significant player.  LAMPing is part of his job as a medical analyst to the media.

In that sense of LAMP, yes I agree. I was saying that he is somewhat ignoring the initial report from the team that they don’t believe it to be serious, and the team is who saw the MRI. If he factors that in, I don’t know if he pushes out a headline like he does this morning. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, GG said:

I think you're forgetting the 3 weekly practice sessions, where Allen probably throws at least 50 passes

baseball players throw the ball literally all the time when they're not playing on the field. And they literally have practice most days before night games. I guess my point is that they both throw it a lot, although MLB shortstops make far more higher stress throws. That's not up for debate.

9 minutes ago, GG said:

Regardless of this discussion,  if there is any sort of tear, the Bills should put him on the shelf and make him get the surgery (and if I'm Allen, I'm demanding that I get it). The last thing they need is a situation like Tannehill or Luck or RG III - guys who played while injured, which ended up making the situation a whole lot worse. He's not going to accomplish anything this year anyway with this garbage offensive roster.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I hate to add to the negativity but they went about the QB position all wrong coming in to this season. they put the kid in the fire after nate failed again and allen got beat up all to hell while having only peterman to come in only to have it back fire big time.

poor decision keeping peterman on the roster and could prove to be the dagger in McDs buffalo career?

they still may be able to right the ship and one can only hope anderson can hold the position for the remainder of the season?

they're not making the post season this year so no need to rush the kid back and it's critical McD/Beane use the off season to bolster the OL and get the kid some legitimate receivers.

if they don't, his tenure could end up like those before him. fans are not going to have the patience to give him 5 years like some here believe they will?

Edited by no name

Encouraging news...

Greg Vorse TV @GregVorse
 32m32 minutes ago
More Greg Vorse TV Retweeted David J. Chao, MD
How rare is Tommy John Surgery in quarterbacks? I’ve found Jake Delhomme in 2007 and Rob Johnson (yes him, #Bills fans) in 2004 as the only QBs that have had it in the last 15 or more years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Holy hell the Bills screwed this up.  All of it - shedding talent, waiting until 2018 to draft a QB, trading all of those picks for said QB, surrounding him with no talent and a weak scheme, failing to provide him with a competent OC, QB coach or veteran backup, and now getting him seriously injured.  This is an abject, unqualified disaster.

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

Encouraging news...

Greg Vorse TV @GregVorse
 32m32 minutes ago
More Greg Vorse TV Retweeted David J. Chao, MD
How rare is Tommy John Surgery in quarterbacks? I’ve found Jake Delhomme in 2007 and Rob Johnson (yes him, #Bills fans) in 2004 as the only QBs that have had it in the last 15 or more years.

Not sure how thats encouraging... seems exactly like the thing that would happen to the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HansLanda said:

If he needs surgery, this front office will get to select another QB. Something that generally doesn't happen. 

I don't wish injury on anyone, but you have to wonder if all that prayer actually paid off for McDermott.

Not only is this season forgiven, but they may actually get a mulligan on what may very well have been a wasted pick.

Edited by LSHMEAB

28 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He throws 3-4 times between innings every inning!  He also averages 375 assists per year not including preseason etc. NFL QBs average around 450 throws per full season. Not much difference, and they don't throw it as hard as an MLB shortstop.

I would think a QB throws way more than 150 throws per week.    They probably throw 20 times warming up, 30 throws during WR work, then the actual throws during practice.

I'd find it hard to image that an NFL quarterback doesn't throw a football well over 100 times a day

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

It's a very simple offense

1st down - Hand off to McCoy who gets hit as soon as he gets the ball ... struggles to gain 1 yard

2nd down - Hand off to Ivory who goes up the middle for 3 yards

3rd down - Either Anderson runs for his life and throws it away or Peterman throws an INT.

4th down - An adventure as Bojorquez attempts to punt

Hey, don't publish that script! You know Belicheck reads these boards, don't you? He will learn all our secrets, man! 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

I would think a QB throws way more than 150 throws per week.    They probably throw 20 times warming up, 30 throws during WR work, then the actual throws during practice.

I'd find it hard to image that an NFL quarterback doesn't throw a football well over 100 times a day

My point is that middle infielders also throw all of the time too. They take fielding practice most days of the week. I have no idea who throws more over the course of a season, but given that the baseball season is longer (especially for non-playoff teams), I suspect that middle infielders might throw more. But at the end of the day, it's probably a wash. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Does not rushing him back mean he could play if he was a superstar but since he is playing poorly its a convenient reason to play someone else for a while?

No. He can’t push the ball down the field with a sprained UCL. He tried to throw after he injured it, and could not. “Week to week” is pretty accurate at this point. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

37 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That's somewhat contradictory.

The 3-4 throws between innings are not of the close play at first high velocity variety. I don't think you can factor them into the equation when comparing a SS to a QB anymore than you can a QB warming up before the game.