Josh Allen injury: “Week-to-Week” with elbow sprain; Returned to practice 11/2

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

At this point I would sign Kaepernick and drop Peterpick. Honestly, I think Kaep could be semi-successful in this offense. He would at least be similar to Tyrod and he adds the mobility factor back there which is absolutely necessary with this OL. I'm not a Kaep advocate by any means, but it's hard to say that he's probably not the best QB available at this point. 

40 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Good lord. That doesn’t sound promising. The article basically states that if Allen wasn’t feeling better in a few hours than the elbow might never be the same. Please god no. This kid has all the makings of being great. Nothing like this is needed.

I posted that because the pro football doc said in is live injury assessment (posted above) that it is NOT an injury like Mariota’s (nerve)

Edited by YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bad news I guess?   Since Yolo asked also I'll dish.

I think Allen was injured against Green Bay during one of his multitude of sacks and hits.  I think this is a re-hit to an existing injury, which are often worse.

Why I think that:

While I believe they genuinely wanted to focus on controlling the LOS and getting the run game going, I think the very low numbers of passes vs Tenn and Hou was because they were trying to play Allen through an injury that left him functional, and had him on a "pitch count". 

I think a number of other things point towards an Allen injury after GB:

-The sudden decision to pursue and sign Anderson (why now, and not before? Allen has needed a vet mentor next to him since before Week 1)

-Benjamin's comment about Josh Allen going in earlier than the rest of the team for "his routine" (what takes more time?  pain injections maybe?)

It's just my theory and might be totally whack though

apparently they had talked to anderson in the spring and the timing wasn't right for him to make a commitment....so we ended up with ajm who didn't want to mentor, he wanted to play. that's why they traded him.

if they start nate in indy it could at least be in part to derek not wanting to,  not ready or not up to game shape.jmo

6 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Agreed, and I can’t imagine DA will take much longer to at least know the basics, especially given he was in a Daboll system in 2009, although of course the verbiage will be completely different 

maybe, but what was the deal he agreed to? play only if it were down to him with no one else able to suit? i just get the feeling that he took the deal to mentor, not lead the team.

i haven't heard about the contract or how much he's making or more importantly incentives.

5 hours ago, SlamnSam said:

Why would they start Anderson ? Makes zero sense. Let Allen learn the game 

well on one hand , he ( josh)could be on the sideline with a headset listening to everything....how DA communicates and manages the game.  could be a huge help in getting josh's head straight.

Edited by billsredneck1

5 minutes ago, In Nate We Trust said:

Give him the rest he needs. He is the future of the Bills. Have 100 percent confidence Nate Peterman will keep the Bills in the Playoff Hunt. Win vs Indy will get things going. Even think a conservative offense with Peterman making safe passes combined with great D and good special teams gives them a shot against Pats on Monday Night Football.

I think you're right.  Nothing but easy passes to his WRs in the flats.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, GG said:

I think you're right.  Nothing but easy passes to his WRs in the flats.

Dr Chao basically said that he could play now, but won’t be able to push the ball down the field until it’s healed. I think they will hold him out at least a month unless they have no choice. 

9 minutes ago, In Nate We Trust said:

Give him the rest he needs. He is the future of the Bills. Have 100 percent confidence Nate Peterman will keep the Bills in the Playoff Hunt. Win vs Indy will get things going. Even think a conservative offense with Peterman making safe passes combined with great D and good special teams gives them a shot against Pats on Monday Night Football.

a 10 yd out pattern like the pick 6 is a pretty safe pass

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

With all due respect to David Chao, I would personally defer to doctors who have actually examined Allen and seen results of his tests.

He has a fine hobby of examining video of plays and of sideline examinations, but I really think he's taking it a bit too far.

right. It would be interesting for someone to evaluate his accuracy over the years simply by looking at TV and guessing at it without evaluating him/ reviewing MRI/Xray etc....

2 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

right. It would be interesting for someone to evaluate his accuracy over the years simply by looking at TV and guessing at it without evaluating him/ reviewing MRI/Xray etc....

He’s basing it almost entirely on his failing the UCL stress test. Not really a huge leap on his conclusion that he has a UCL sprain. Sounds like the team doctors saw the same thing. Just have to hope it’s minor.

Edited by YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Dr Chao basically said that he could play now, but won’t be able to push the ball down the field until it’s healed. I think they will hold him out at least a month unless they have no choice. 

Uhm, I was talking about Peterman

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well........if it's a partial tear it really won't ever heal.......and if you are Allen's agent you probably want him to get the surgery out of the way in those "team beneficial only" years.

Last thing you want is to nurse it for a couple years and have it pop during year 3 and miss a season and a half and enter free agency in year 5 as a recovering gimp.

Yes, and given what I know about ucl tears in baseball, surgery is a strong likelihood. Tanaka is the real outlier for partial tears; most get the surgery. And even he sat for 3 months while getting platelet therapy. 

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s basing it almost entirely on his failing the UCL stress test. Not really a huge leap on his conclusion that he has a UCL sprain. Sounds like the team doctors saw the same thing. Just have to hope it’s minor.

As I understand it, sprains are usually actually partial tears and they don't "heal." I bet he gets the surgery. My son (pitcher) had a sprain and couldn't throw a baseball at all for 5 months last winter. 

when I was watching him on Sunday, i saw him focusing on his forearm and he seemed to be shaking it to find feeling. Plus his first throw after the hit was wild. Numbness in the forearm and wildness are the clear signs of ucl issues.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, BeefCurtns said:

With the predictability and simple garbage this offense is I'm sure Anderson has it down already.

It's a very simple offense

1st down - Hand off to McCoy who gets hit as soon as he gets the ball ... struggles to gain 1 yard

2nd down - Hand off to Ivory who goes up the middle for 3 yards

3rd down - Either Anderson runs for his life and throws it away or Peterman throws an INT.

4th down - An adventure as Bojorquez attempts to punt

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yes, and given what I know about ucl tears in baseball, surgery is a strong likelihood. Tanaka is the real outlier for partial tears; most get the surgery. And even he sat for 3 months while getting platelet therapy. 

As I understand it, sprains are usually actually partial tears and they don't "heal." I bet he gets the surgery. My son (pitcher) had a sprain and couldn't throw a baseball at all for 5 months last winter. 

when I was watching him on Sunday, i saw him focusing on his forearm and he seemed to be shaking it to find feeling. Plus his first throw after the hit was wild. Numbness in the forearm and wildness are the clear signs of ucl issues.

But Marriota was only out two weeks

• SDS pinned this topic