The way Shady carries the ball

Bakin

I’m sure Much has been discussed on this topic - we see it every week - Shady carrying the ball like a it’s a bag of baby diapers, away from his body.....looks like it’s a fumble waiting to happen. 

I love the heck out of the kid - but that running style scares and annoys the crap out of me ....

But I also kind of like it!  Haha

Seems like the exact opposite thing a back is taught and trained to do. 

That being said - Shady has few historical fumble issues. He fumbles 1 time every 119 touches. I read somewhere 150 is elite and average is around 112. 

I just find the way he runs with the ball INSANE considering probably all he was taught his entire career. 

Go Bills!!

On 10/10/2018 at 10:32 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

From Andy Benoit:

TWEET ELABORATION

I’ve been watching LeSean McCoy carry the ball like this for 10 years, and yet I’m still baffled when I see it. Shortly after he was dealt to Buffalo, I sat down and watched film with him. I asked him how many coaches have tried to have a serious conversation with him about how he holds the ball. “All of them,” he said. “But I don’t fumble the ball, really.” Indeed, McCoy in his career has averaged just over two fumbles a season, and many of those have come on runs where he’s cradled the ball correctly. I love McCoy’s game. He’s one of the best lateral movers of his generation. He’s 30 but hasn’t shown much (if any) signs of decline. He can carry the ball however he wants, I guess.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Shotgunner said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I have thought that he "flags" it out there to misdirect the defenders. 

I certainly don't know, and it makes me nearvous when he does it, but I just feel like it's part strategy.

That's actually an interesting concept.  I don't know if he does but I'm sure most defensive players are trained to "attack the ball".  If he is baiting them with that move then he's been doing a good job.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Only a matter of time before someone pokes it out of there. I'm not a fan of it when he does that myself but guess some RBs do their own thing.

But that’s true of everyone and it’s actually happening to him less often than most with a huuuuge sample size. 

Sometimes you have to just embrace that the quirk isn’t a weakness in all cases

I'm pretty sure he does it so the defenders see it as a lump of gold so they focus on the ball and knocking it out instead of his legs and waist for a tackle.

By that time he already made the 1st defender look like a fool. We have seen it countless times now and he rarely fumbles.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Real McCoy said:

I'm pretty sure he does it so the defenders see it as a lump of gold so they focus on the ball and knocking it out instead of his legs and waist for a tackle.

By that time he already made the 1st defender look like a fool. We have seen it countless times now and he rarely fumbles.

And, the nickname "Shady" kind of carries with it that connotation. It is like his whole shtick.

I mean, at first I felt like that but then didn't. Same with his minor injuries. The player's style is just very unique.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I have thought that he "flags" it out there to misdirect the defenders. 

I certainly don't know, and it makes me nearvous when he does it, but I just feel like it's part strategy.

As a former RB coach I was coming in to chime in...

and I can tell you that you are 100% correct... it’s unorthodox but he is baiting the defenders to look At the ball and not his waist and that’s why he makes them miss 

• Like (+1) 1

So you started a thread, to complain about something that you guess isn't an issue.

Shady can do what he wants. He doesn't have fumbling issues, the other complaint I hear is about him not getting up field quick enough. I also give him a pass on that.

The guy is at the least a border line Hall of Famer by the time he retires. I like talented players, you take the good with the bad. 

27 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

As a former RB coach I was coming in to chime in...

and I can tell you that you are 100% correct... it’s unorthodox but he is baiting the defenders to look At the ball and not his waist and that’s why he makes them miss 

Thanks for the insight.

That's what I thought I was seeing. He always tucks it to the sideline side and pulls it in when he's actually going to get hit, so I know he's not lazy with it.

I wish I had the time/resources to go back on all his fumbles and see how many are caused by this. Would be interesting

But as previously stated, 10 yrs is a long time for a rb of his caliber so hes doing something right.

Still cringe everytime I see him do it.