7 trade targets for the Bills

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think we can give them more than one full offseason to make assumptions about their ability on offense, no?

It's already been two full offseasons.

Part of the sales pitch with McD was that he was a personnel expert.........and he basically discounted the scouting of the staff he inherited and made his moves based on his own eyes and those of a few questionably qualified people that he hired. (Phil McGeoghan in particular)

This is HIS team........Beane gets blamed for the Watkins/Darby/Benjamin/Dareus lopsided trades but he was just doing the bidding of McD...........those kinda' moves were not something McD had time to cultivate.    He also did not want Mahomes and then made Doug Whaley........who DID want Mahomes.........work out the trade details with Dorsey.?

I like a lot of things McD brings to the table.........discipline and defense.......... but he took over a team that had just had it's best offensive production in TWENTY FIVE YEARS........since mid-SB era.........and has made one choice after the next to totally destroy both the personnel and the scheme with his bad decisions on that side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Demaryius Thomas I really think would be a bad idea for the Bills.  If Denver offered Thomas and a 1st round pick in exchange for the Bills' 7th rounder I still might say no.  He's got a 17+mil cap hit next year and an 8.5mil cap hit left this year.  Even pro-rated for this season that means the Bills will be spending ~23mil in cap space to rent an aging WR for 1 1/2 yrs.  I would really hate it if they made that move.

Reddick & Garcon seem like they could both be interesting options.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Tate, Hassan, and Conley

Love all of them

Exact ones I wanted on the list. I don’t typically like older but, as Haze mentioned, Tate is tough and would bring some fire, accountability and toughness to the WR room; the anti-KB.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t know anything about reddick as I don’t watch college football and haven’t followed the cards lately.  If he’s not a fit in the new coaches system, is it just because there is already a stud at the position? Coming from Carolina a year after McDermott, I guess I figured their systems would be pretty similar. Is it scheme or just available playing time, the trade idea being a way to get some value for someone they no longer need?

of the receivers mentioned, sign me up for Tate all day. That guy always plays hard, something we don’t see here in that room these days from the guys we would expect to.  Remember, Thomas was drafted same year as Dez and our wonderful pick, CJ Sliller... these guys are both out of the league and I expect Thomas to not be far behind, which is insane considering that was only 2010. Tate was drafted one round later in the same draft and still seems to be into the game. 

Edited by anguskeenan

2 hours ago, RyanTalbotBills said:

A lot of people expect the Bills to be sellers at the trade deadline. That may be the case, but the Bills should also have an open mind about adding talent at the deadline. I listed seven potential targets in my article and gave reasons why the players may be available. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the seven players listed, as well as any players you'd like to see the team add.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/10/bdc68833327434/nfl-trade-rumors-7-players-buf.html#incart_most-readsports

Thomas will be a 31 year old by next season but would give Allen a true legit #1 WR, not sure what I'd pay for a player on decline though, a 3rd rounder? Tate is a FA after the season why would we give up a draft pick for him? Ginn Jr. wtf? I'm actually hoping the Bills stay pat right now and hold onto those picks, I'd like to draft a young up and coming WR1 to compliment Zay Jones and perhaps a FA pickup like John Brown or Tyrell Williams. Were in a pretty good spot, there are some underrated OL in FA, it should also be a decent draft for OL and about 5 WR as of right now with a 1st round grade that I've read about but I'm sure that number will be more around 3 by seasons end.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Clyde Smith said:

I would trade Shady straight up for Jefferies, Agholor, or Lane Johnson.

Do people really not understand that a contending team doesn't trade a key starter to get another starter at a different position?

They trade a future asset to get better and win now.

It's not that complicated.

Happens in all sports.

• Like (+1) 1

No offense, but the offensive additions you've floated in your article appear completely out of touch with how McBeane seems to be constructing this roster. While they've taken flyers on several older vets (with unfortunate outcomes...ahem, Davis and Boldin), they haven't given up assets to acquire these players. It's just not in their DNA to trade for 30+ year-old WRs nearing the ends of their contracts. That seems obvious. 

I don't hate some of these suggestions, but I do think it's bizarre to posit them without also acknowledging how incredibly unlikely they are.

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Bills spend the next 10 months trying to build the league's most dominant defense with all of their cap and draft capital.

They've kinda' !@#$ed themselves royally on offense with dumb decisions since McDermott got hired.

And they have shown zero ability to unearth any talent on that side of the ball.

But like the droughty Bills under defensive watch of Wade and Greggo and LeBeau and Pettine and Schwartz they've seemingly succeeded to some extent in picking that low hanging defensive fruit and might have to live off of that and use Allen as a battering ram for a couple more seasons than planned. 

Use the Quarterback as a battering ram?

Edited by iinii

Reddick and Conley are the only 2 players mentioned that interest me.  No thanks to giving up picks for a 30 something WR whos best years are behind them.  Use 2 high picks for WR, and sign 1 or 2 WR in FA.   And fix the oline

12 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I would be ecstatic with any of those WRs. I will also add I would consider 

-A. Cooper

-M. Sanu 

-A. Hurns

Sanu makes a ton of sense and buy would cooper be awesome. While sanu is not a game breaker, he is a legit top 3 receiver and adds to the puzzle of 1”9 and beyond 

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Bills spend the next 10 months trying to build the league's most dominant defense with all of their cap and draft capital.

They've kinda' !@#$ed themselves royally on offense with dumb decisions since McDermott got hired.

And they have shown zero ability to unearth any talent on that side of the ball.

But like the droughty Bills under defensive watch of Wade and Greggo and LeBeau and Pettine and Schwartz they've seemingly succeeded to some extent in picking that low hanging defensive fruit and might have to live off of that and use Allen as a battering ram for a couple more seasons than planned. 

You have nailed the relationship with McDermott and Beane dead on.  McDermott makes the personnel decisions, and Beane does his bidding by getting the guys McDermott wants -- and McDermott's offensive philosophy is reminiscent of the conservative coaches' from the 1970s or 1980s where the job of the offense is to not lose the game while the defense and special teams provide the winning plays.   I'm sure that Mike Ditka and Dick Jauron whole-hearted support McDermott's offensive views because it's the way they liked to play the game.

My guess is that picking Allen -- or any first round QB in 2019 -- was simply to placate the fan base.  Passing on better QB prospects in 2017 in order to draft a first round DB as well as trading away Watkins after letting Woods and Goodwin walk away in FA reflects how little McDermott values offensive football.  That the Bills did nothing but sign bottom feeder OC Bodine and a couple of other non-NFL caliber scrubs to replace Wood and Incognito as well as waiting until late in the fifth round to start drafting offensive players other than Allen simply underscores McDermott's disinterest in creating a modern offense for the Bills by providing his young QB with protection and targets. That the Bills have FINALLY got around to  getting him a real mentor -- five weeks into the season FCOL! -- tells you how little McDermott, Beane, and the Bills really care about Allen's success.   You could very well argue that NOT signing Anderson or another experienced starter before TC was done deliberately to insure that Allen was going to be starting sooner rather than later, and that the idea that the Bills "intended" Allen to sit and learn for a while was just so much wishful thinking on the part of Bills fans.   Allen is essentially on his own to sink or swim ... and be the convenient scapegoat for the team's poor record until the point where either McDermott/Beane get the boot or he's declared "a bust". 

Edited by SoTier

11 hours ago, purple haze said:

Agree with you there.  Those are building block, young, athletic type of players.  

The WRs mentioned?  I don't know.  I like Tate, he's a dog.  Could give the O some grit.  

Yeah. Tate would be a welcome addition.