Prediction: Bills Will Use Cap Space as Trade Piece in 2019

HardyBoy

At least through the duration of the current 10-year CBA signed in 2011 (so through the 2020 season)- and likely beyond- cap space can be rolled over. So the Bills aren’t compelled to massively spend if the talent doesn’t warrant it. Already it isn’t a highly desirable class and inevitably it’ll weaken once franchise tags are applied.

We will still add a couple/few bonafide starters but will have to hope to make most of our impact in the draft. And 2 wins in our last 3 games notwithstanding I still expect we’ll have a top-10 1st and near top-40 2nd.

• Like (+1) 2

I've gotten the impression from his interviews that Beane wants to draft his star players - and believe he can.

He seems to think that the very best FAs are over-priced and he'll shy away from them.  Instead he'll use most of his cap money to bring in solid starters who'll buy into the process.

But whatever his intentions, we don't know if he has the will-power to resist paying big for a FA he truly covets. 

• Like (+1) 1

I certainly hope we don't do that.  That's now how you build a strong team for the long term, it's not a good use of cap space, and it's not going to bring us short term success anyway.  

At least not if Josh Allen is still a struggling, learning, starting QB.

19 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I've gotten the impression from his interviews that Beane wants to draft his star players - and believe he can.

He seems to think that the very best FAs are over-priced and he'll shy away from them.  Instead he'll use most of his cap money to bring in solid starters who'll buy into the process.

But whatever his intentions, we don't know if he has the will-power to resist paying big for a FA he truly covets. 

Star was the fifth biggest non-QB FA signing this year, so I'm not sure what you mean.

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I doubt it.  We’lol most likely resign those getting close to a new contract like T White, then pay a couple of lineman in free agency.  I have a feeling we’ll go through the draft for WR.

Draft priorities depend on march dignings.

White has 3 yrs of contract left. En has 4 left after this season so buffalo likely active to get players to try and compete before first contract players are due.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

N'Keal Harry - ASU should be a high first rounder.

I would love to see the Bills draft Harry and Anthony Johnson.  There aren't any #1 WRs available in free agency.  Draft 2 and push KB and Zay down depth chart/off team.  Devote rest of draft picks and FA to fixing Oline.  I would trade Shady too, and draft his replacement.  3 high picks on skill positions

Edited by Pete

7 hours ago, SoTier said:

I would not  at all be surprised if the Bills actually did something like trading away picks for one year "rentals", especially on offense.  It's exactly the kind of clueless stupidity that McDermott and Beane have demonstrated with their version of "team building" so far:  trading for Benjamin and Coleman and signing and then trading away McCarron (and then adding Anderson).

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It'd be great if you just....stopped talking. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Best Player Available said:

Yes, it worked out great with K. Benjamin..

Panic move for an injured player.
the lesson is obvious now 

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Don't think there's a big prospect in the draft at WR in this years class. 

how about five decent ones ?

I see a long and frustrating two to three year rebuilding process with this offense mostly through the draft and McDermott will likely look for more trade equity and the only player of real trade value right now is McCoy who's trade value right now is as high as it'll ever be in the future give his age.  You could throw in Hughes as well, but I don't see a market for him at this point.

The only free agent of value on offense I can see the Bills going after is Taylor Moton from Carolina.

8 hours ago, SoTier said:

I would not  at all be surprised if the Bills actually did something like trading away picks for one year "rentals", especially on offense.  It's exactly the kind of clueless stupidity that McDermott and Beane have demonstrated with their version of "team building" so far:  trading for Benjamin and Coleman and signing and then trading away McCarron (and then adding Anderson).

Woooookay!

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It'd be great if you just....stopped talking. 

Good post!

This is kind of my response to the who are the bills going to sign with all the cap space question. True there might not be enough players out there worth the contacts it would take to fill the cap space next year; signing those players to long term deals is bad value, and would be sort of what like happened to a lot of teams in the NBA when the cap jumped a few years ago.

The potential solution, trading for highly productive players that teams were going to cut anyway for money reasons only (few players play their final year since it is highly backloaded to where the bonus is done being paid so no dead cap), and you can get a high caliber player at significant value.

On top of that, once the player leaves in FA, would the Bills get comp picks, or that doesn't count if done in a trade?

This is not happening. Why give up draft picks for one year rentals? This goes against everything Beane and McDermott have done thus far. They will spend the $$$ on players they believe will help the team at positions of need and address others with their draft picks.