What Do Young People Think When We Post About 90's Bills Teams

Irv

1 minute ago, Best Player Available said:

Hey, who has an issue with Cookie Gilchrist story's? 

Like he once said to a Patriot players huddled around a linebacker who he crushed on the way too the endzone.

Which one of you M^#%*+~^"_S is next? lol.

Old Cookie...speeding down Jefferson Ave in his cadillac..4 broads in the car

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

just wished Bills fans cared enough to have sold out that game so older people at the time could have watched it on TV in the Buffalo area

it was very close to a sellout...over 75,000 people there. More than the Stadium holds now. We cared enough...there was a 72 hour blackout rule back then

I'm 50 and I start to talk about Joe Ferguson, Joe Cribbs, Jerry Butler, and the Bermuda Triangle defense and I see people's eyes glaze over and they start looking at their phones 5 words in.  

I've learned to just shut up about it, except on internet forums.

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm a young guy and do not remember the 90's Bills, but I know all about them and have watched games and highlights from that time. There hasn't been an era of football to talk about since then.

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I think you're right, but that won't take shape for at least another 25 years as the majority of males over 30 are still hooked to the NFL.

Don't look now, but it may be a lot sooner than that...

"Millennials, whom we define as ages 20 to 35 in 2016, numbered 71 million, and Boomers (ages 52 to 70) numbered 74 million.   Millennials are expected to overtake Boomers in population in 2019 as their numbers swell to 73 million and Boomers decline to 72 million."

FT_18.02.15_GenerationsBirths_projected.png

9 hours ago, Irv said:

When I was younger (before the internet) and people talked about guys like Cookie Gilchrist, Albert Dubenion, Jack Kemp, etc. I used to roll my eyes thinking "what a bunch of geezers!".  I wonder if the younger kids on this site do the same when there are posts about Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, and Thurman Thomas.  Am I that old guy now?

As a Geezer who knew, watched and loved our ‘60s teams, I both resent and represent that remark. If anything is truly lost on millennials, it’s their seeming unwillingness to learn and accept history. Punkazz whippersnappers! #GetOffMyLawn!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TDO'Kearney said:

I'm 50 and I start to talk about Joe Ferguson, Joe Cribbs, Jerry Butler, and the Bermuda Triangle defense and I see people's eyes glaze over and they start looking at their phones 5 words in.  

I've learned to just shut up about it, except on internet forums.

Don't feel bad, their eyes were glazing over and we're looking at their phones before you even uttered a sound.

6 hours ago, McBean said:

Best Bills team I’ve ever seen was last year.

I’ve never watched a real QB play for us yet.

The 2014 team was better than last years team but that's another discussion. A pointless one too.

I'm in that weird age regarding the Bills where I don't remember any superbowls, superbowl 30 is the first I remember. I remember going to games, I saw them beat Montana as a Chief. I remember the Bruuuuce cheers and asking my dad why are they booing Bruce lol. So to me, hearing older fans talk about it, as my dad does, often, isn't annoying at all. I like their perspectives on those teams.

What I don't like hearing about is Polian.

I don't think older fans reminiscing about those teams is annoying at all. It really is the Bills history. Pre-market stuff is kind of interesting, but the game was even more different then than the 90s.

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

The 2014 team was better than last years team but that's another discussion. A pointless one too.

I'm in that weird age regarding the Bills where I don't remember any superbowls, superbowl 30 is the first I remember. I remember going to games, I saw them beat Montana as a Chief. I remember the Bruuuuce cheers and asking my dad why are they booing Bruce lol. So to me, hearing older fans talk about it, as my dad does, often, isn't annoying at all. I like their perspectives on those teams.

What I don't like hearing about is Polian.

I don't think older fans reminiscing about those teams is annoying at all. It really is the Bills history. Pre-market stuff is kind of interesting, but the game was even more different then than the 90s.

I’m curious, why don’t you like hearing about Polian? He was the brains behind the operation. Not the guy you see on TV today.

Kind of the opposite of Gruden who was not good as a coach, but better on TV.  (Poor Raiders fans...) 

I'm 31, I think many of you here are much older than me. My first Bills game was our 1st Super Bowl, it was like injecting a shot of heroin. Seeing my Dad who was usually angry and pissed off then laughing and singing songs and pretty much seeing my entire family having the time of their lives, it was great man, priceless memories to me. It was a long time ago but it's why I became a Bills fan in the first place, I want the young Bills fans today to get to experience the same euphoria I did as a kid, the 90s was a hell of an introduction to this team for me.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m curious, why don’t you like hearing about Polian? He was the brains behind the operation. Not the guy you see on TV today.

Kind of the opposite of Gruden who was not good as a coach, but better on TV.  (Poor Raiders fans...) 

You're probably right, his TV work undoubtedly influences my opinion of him.

It's just that the game, in my opinion has passed him by, which is fair. He's retired, on TV, but hearing his takes and people saying Polian would have done this or that. It's just a bit much to me. He gets a lot of credit for lucking into two great QBs.

I think he did an amazing job here, not so much in Indy. As I write this I realize what he accomplished in Buffalo, Carolina, and Indy. Maybe I'm a bit unfair to him.

8 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I'm 31, I think many of you here are much older than me. My first Bills game was our 1st Super Bowl, it was like injecting a shot of heroin. Seeing my Dad who was usually angry and pissed off then laughing and singing songs and pretty much seeing my entire family having the time of their lives, it was great man, priceless memories to me. It was a long time ago but it's why I became a Bills fan in the first place, I want the young Bills fans today to get to experience the same euphoria I did as a kid, the 90s was a hell of an introduction to this team for me.

I'm so confused about your first superbowl memory, your dad who was usually angry and pissed off was laughing and singing songs? I'm not doubting it, just seems like a weird turn of events. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You're probably right, his TV work undoubtedly influences my opinion of him.

It's just that the game, in my opinion has passed him by, which is fair. He's retired, on TV, but hearing his takes and people saying Polian would have done this or that. It's just a bit much to me. He gets a lot of credit for locking into two great QBs.

I think he did an amazing job here, not so much in Indy. As I write this I realize what he accomplished in Buffalo, Carolina, and Indy. Maybe I'm a bit unfair to him.

Carolina may have, in fact, been his most amazing accomplishment. NFC Championship game for a second year franchise team? That’s crazy stuff! He was the real deal, in the day. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, CamDMC said:

23 years old here. When I hear people talk about the good days I get sad thinking that I have no memory of a good Bills team.

This here is the weird dynamic of it all. 

Theres a cutoff somewhere around a late 80s birth year where it transitions from knowing one of the greatest runs in football history to only knowing one of the worst.

its not old guys reminiscing for the very good while the pretty good is right in front of them. It’s all time great vs all time bad and a near instant change that ended up long sustained 

13 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Afc championship maybe? As mentioned - seems weird otherwise 

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

This here is the weird dynamic of it all. 

Theres a cutoff somewhere around a late 80s birth year where it transitions from knowing one of the greatest runs in football history to only knowing one of the worst.

its not old guys reminiscing for the very good while the pretty good is right in front of them. It’s all time great vs all time bad and a near instant change that ended up long sustained 

You couldn't be more right. I was born in 89, my memory goes back to pretty much right after the superbowls. People respected the team. I remember it being an expectation we'd make the playoffs. I remember the shock of how bad Todd Collins was and how quickly they moved on. 

People thought they could go to the superbowl in 2000. The 31-0 victory over the Pat's and subsequent loss of the same score to them, and 2004 vs Pittsburgh really has defined the last 18 years.

You get some hope, then it crushes you, and oddly enough the building up of hope makes it all the more painful. But you're point is spot on, it went from amazing to just a joke in the blink of an eye.