Jump to content
Irv

What Do Young People Think When We Post About 90's Bills Teams

Recommended Posts

When I was younger (before the internet) and people talked about guys like Cookie Gilchrist, Albert Dubenion, Jack Kemp, etc. I used to roll my eyes thinking "what a bunch of geezers!".  I wonder if the younger kids on this site do the same when there are posts about Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, and Thurman Thomas.  Am I that old guy now?

Edited by Irv
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that's the case I think most of us here are "that old guy" now my friend. :lol::thumbsup:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are to them but its all relative. The folks here that are older than you relate and likely think to themselves...He should've seen when the Bills were in the AFL! The younger ones think you're older than dirt. The same is true about life in general. I'm 57 years old. To the youth of today, I'm ancient. To the people in their 70's and 80's, I'm still a kid. The beauty of being my age is I don't give a crap what people think.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They honestly don't know what we're talking about. Unless you lived through it, there's no other era in Bills history that was as magical. They've honestly been a terrible franchise outside of two AFL titles in the mid 60's, one good year in 1980, 1988-1996, 1998-1999. 13 seasons out of 58.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

We go and find some porn to view instead. 

Always finding the silver lining!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RobH063 said:

You are to them but its all relative. The folks here that are older than you relate and likely think to themselves...He should've seen when the Bills were in the AFL! The younger ones think you're older than dirt. The same is true about life in general. I'm 57 years old. To the youth of today, I'm ancient. To the people in their 70's and 80's, I'm still a kid. The beauty of being my age is I don't give a crap what people think.

 

I agree with this. I'm 36, became a fan in 1990, joined this forum when it had a different name..... Those 90's Bills don't feel old to me. But 1990 was 28 years ago, so if you did the same exercise in 1990 you would be reflecting back to 1962.....1962 certainly sounds old to somebody my age. It's all relative. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 years old here. When I hear people talk about the good days I get sad thinking that I have no memory of a good Bills team.

  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking about the early 90's Bills teams today is the equivalent of reminiscing about the 1965 Bills during the early 90s.  It's a lifetime ago 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's one of the many reasons I don't ever want a new stadium.

The old, classic memories, players, and stories will forever swirl around that place (as long as it's standing).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We go and find some porn to view instead. 

www.JuicyCougar.com should do the trick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We go and find some porn to view instead. 

There’s porn on the internet? Who knew!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never thought for a second that 25 years would pass without another superbowl appearance.  That actually made my head hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the "old" days, the Jills were our porn. You had to try to store it into your memory for later. Kids have it so much easier today.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There should be a poll attached to this topic on the age of most TBD participants.... most young people don't even know this site exists and don't participate much in forums like this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in my early 30's and I kind of remember those years but wasn't at the age yet where I felt them, if that makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every once in awhile, I like to gather the young-uns around (i.e., trick them into visiting me by claiming I want to discuss my will and their respective inheritances) to tell them the same old stories they never tire of hearing (except for my youngest, Hermie, who gouged out his own ear drums to insure never having to hear them again). How they love to hear me go on about Jim Kelly, Thurman, Bruuuuuuuce and the Biscuit (except for that time they tried, without success, to have me committed to an asylum in one of the states of the former Soviet Union). In between heart breaking stories of Super Bowl losses, I like to test their mettle by telling them that the largest share of my estate goes to the first child to help me change my "Depends". I wish I could share a picture of their glowing faces as I make them wear chicken wing hats while we share a meal of stadium favorites like fried bologna sandwiches dipped in squeeze packet mustard. You see, in the end, its all about family.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Irv said:

When I was younger (before the internet) and people talked about guys like Cookie Gilchrist, Albert Dubenion, Jack Kemp, etc. I used to roll my eyes thinking "what a bunch of geezers!".  I wonder if the younger kids on this site do the same when there are posts about Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, and Thurman Thomas.  Am I that old guy now?

Bills are a family thing, pops grew up talking about and watching Cookie and Kemp, I was sadly born just in time for our first super bowl, but otherwise know jim, bruce, and thurman better than not. 

 

Bills are a franchise regardless and our franchise highlights were back in the day and the 90s. It's hard not to know them and respect those guys for what they did. Plus, for anyone else not fortunate enough to have the family dynamic, they did the Four Falls for the cliff notes version.

 

Still got my Bruce jersey fwiw, just about the only jersey worth buying at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must be really old, I remember Jack Kemp, Elbert Dubinion, Charlie Fergerson, Wray Carlton, etc etc.  and that was 60's.  Yes, I attend a few at the old rockpile.   I saw booker edgerson make an INT in the snow against the Bengals to  win....but, really didn't see the play well, even though it was right in front of me.....I saw it at home on TV later, though, as the snow filtering software on the TV camera made it visible....there was so much win blown snow.    Booker was still around sometime in the last decade in some capacity with the Bills I think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

👴 I had my season tickets from 1986 to 1998. My health now keeps me from attending any games now. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

I must be really old, I remember Jack Kemp, Elbert Dubinion, Charlie Fergerson, Wray Carlton, etc etc.  and that was 60's.  Yes, I attend a few at the old rockpile.   I saw booker edgerson make an INT in the snow against the Bengals to  win....but, really didn't see the play well, even though it was right in front of me.....I saw it at home on TV later, though, as the snow filtering software on the TV camera made it visible....there was so much win blown snow.    Booker was still around sometime in the last decade in some capacity with the Bills I think.

I too attended that game and was screaming at Booker to toss me the ball as he trotted into the end zone!

54 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

It's one of the many reasons I don't ever want a new stadium.

The old, classic memories, players, and stories will forever swirl around that place (as long as it's standing).

Great post!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you're telling me the Bills not only went to the Superbowl, but did it four years in a row?

 

Image result for no way gif

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CamDMC said:

23 years old here. When I hear people talk about the good days I get sad thinking that I have no memory of a good Bills team.

 

I feel for ya.

 

My dad's generation had the AFL championship years.

 

I had a few years of the Electric Company, a few very good Chuck Knox teams and then, of course,  the SB years.

 

My oldest just turned 21 and I know he's got very few good memories of the Bills. I'm a rotten father.

 

You were born in the Era of the Never Ending Rebuild. I'm sorry.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×