So Eli Manning gets a pass but Josh Allen needs to produce NOW??

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I'd disagree with that, personally. He's had a long career, and he's been paid for most of it after the first contract.

It's somewhat true of every high-paid QB. But I wouldn't say it's more true of Eli than of any other.

You said Eli wasn't elite. I agree.  Bart's point was that non-elite QB's getting paid as elite QB's makes it tougher to surround that QB with talent and the QB better be able overcome that (see Aaron Rodgers).  I thought he made a good point. 

Most people on here don't believe Allen needs to "produce" now.  We can feel good about the future, and critique his game to game performance.  It's really not that hard.  One can easily see the potential and also see the issues that were brought up in the past that are still not corrected.  

And the same goes for Eli.  He has played terribly for the last two seasons.  That said, his supporting cast was worse than TT's last year.  And even as he plays poorly, he is still the best QB on their roster.

The only legit argument to make is whether the Giants should have taken a QB or traded down instead of taking a RB.  Barkley is living up to his draft position. However there is no way I'm taking a RB at #2 when I could have fleeced a number of teams obtaining several high round draft picks.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Eli should have retired 2 years ago 

Gettleman took a calculated risk that Eli would return to form if their FO passed on a QB with the 2nd overall pick this year—problem is that Eli has mobility on par with my 2.5 week old and not even TB12 booster shakes will help that anymore. Realistically how much can he have left before retirement? Wonder what the Giants fan forums are looking like these days? 

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Funny how Eli Manning can look like absolute trash and the overwhelming majority give him a pass. This is despite his having a solid TE, Shepherd and the highest paid WR in the league (OBJackass). 

Yet, Josh Allen has a mishmash of WR’s, a suspect line and is starting his FOURTH game and some of the experts think he should sit. 

Sad

Is this guy serious?

Who is the overwhelming majority giving him a pass? He is always getting destroyed by the national media. He was benched last year, and only supported by ownership (which is all that really matters I guess) and NY media. Which they usually never did prior.

Do some of you hear voices in your head? This argument doesn't even make sense. I'm not saying Allen is a bust, or doesn't deserve more time at all. But your argument is, "everyone's not all over manning playing bad, so why's everyone all over Allen playing even worse than him?"

I do think Allen does get unfairly criticized, but Eli is not someone I'd hold up as getting a pass. And as others have mentioned, he has done a lot for that franchise and was a good QB at one point.

13 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Gettleman took a calculated risk that Eli would return to form if their FO passed on a QB with the 2nd overall pick this year—problem is that Eli has mobility on par with my 2.5 week old and not even TB12 booster shakes will help that anymore. Realistically how much can he have left before retirement? Wonder what the Giants fan forums are looking like these days? 

My thoughts during the game were, wow they are bad. But Saquon is so fun to watch, not justifying drafting an RB that high.

But all of us laughing at them for that pick probably thought they wouldn't be this bad. They could be competing for the top pick and have a chance at the QB of their choice to pair with Barkley and the head case WR.

Their coach could be a 1 and done also. They look to be a mess.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Funny how Eli Manning can look like absolute trash and the overwhelming majority give him a pass. This is despite his having a solid TE, Shepherd and the highest paid WR in the league (OBJackass). 

Yet, Josh Allen has a mishmash of WR’s, a suspect line and is starting his FOURTH game and some of the experts think he should sit. 

Sad

The New York media has been up Mannings ass this season. They beefed up the O-line, added the top RB prospect, and they already had a quality pass catchers in Sheppard, Engram, and Odell, yet it is the offense that struggles (Their defense isn't the best but it is far from trash and with a good offense they should be able to compete with a average but certainly not bad defense.)

No one is giving Eli a pass. Stop projecting your concerns about Allen onto a QB who is getting a lot of heat. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The O-line despite the improvements they made to it is still pretty ass but Eli despite the bad O-line play should be producing more. I think the Giants likely are inline for a 3-5 win season. They should be picking high up enough to trade up for a QB. They probably will hold onto Eli for one more year to be a bridge QB in 2019 for whatever QB they draft in 2019 but I can't see Eli staying on beyond that unless he has some sort of remarkable turnaround in performance it is looking like the beginning of the end for Eli. 

I thought Eli could have had 2-3 more decent years in the tank myself but I still would have taken a QB at pick 2 because their offensive issues were more so related to bad O-line play and they still spent a wise pick on Hernandez in round 2 (Hernandez has been their best performing O-line player and one of the few reasons as to why they went from worst O-line in the league to simply a bad O-line.) 

I think it would have been much easier to find a top caliber RB like Barkley than it is to find a top QB prospect. But the Giants might be far worse than anyone though this season and instead of finishing with 7-9 wins like everyone projected them to they might be drafting top 6 which makes a trade up for a QB much less pricey. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RiotAct said:

well, two Super Bowl rings will afford him that luxury. 

Against Tom Brady and the Patriots, no less!

He took down Brady and Belichick in the biggest game, TWICE!

From a Buffalo Bills fan perspective, Eli Manning is Jesus Christ walking on water.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Maybe.

He had a pretty pedestrian 2007 regular season before playing great in the playoffs. 

That was the year his light came on almost at the end of the regular season. He played like the young Manning for most of the season and then in the last few games of the regular season he figured things out, right in the middle of some horrible weather. That Pats game that was the last game of the regular season he looked sensational.

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

You said Eli wasn't elite. I agree.  Bart's point was that non-elite QB's getting paid as elite QB's makes it tougher to surround that QB with talent and the QB better be able overcome that (see Aaron Rodgers).  I thought he made a good point. 

Elite is roughly top three to five in the game.

Eli certainly doesn't fit there. But neither does his contract. He's the 13th highest paid QB in terms of average salary. That's roughly what he is, IMHO.

As I pointed out earlier, it's fair to say that signing a good QB to an NFL-standard contract contract makes everything else harder. But Eli no more than any other QB.

• Like (+1) 2