Offensive Strategy Versus the Texans

TigerJ

39 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Maybe I'll be proven wrong tomorrow but this is going to be a close game and the 10 point spread is ridiculous.  The Texans are not that good.  They lost to the Giants and every game they have played has been close with both their wins coming in overtime. 

The Bills have a good defense and the Texans despite good numbers from Watson are no juggernaut.  They have real trouble running the ball and have been bad in the red zone.  If the Bills can script an early drive and get out to an early lead I think they win. 

Yeah the 10 point spread is ridiculous and I think Watson gets knocked-out early.

On 10/11/2018 at 9:04 PM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

When they let Josh be Josh he plays lose and the team feeds off that energy. Josh scrambling and running helps open things up and I think helps him calm down. 

Yeah that’s not happening again this year...he hurdled a guy for a team that has no hope and the coaches know that so yeah great he has the respect of the locker room but the last thing they want is Allen to get hurt this year. He will have strict rules and a strict game plan eventually though they will have to start scheming more pass plays so he can gain more experience but right now they are trying to win to build his confidence alittle

1 hour ago, Rebel101 said:

Yeah that’s not happening again this year...he hurdled a guy for a team that has no hope and the coaches know that so yeah great he has the respect of the locker room but the last thing they want is Allen to get hurt this year. He will have strict rules and a strict game plan eventually though they will have to start scheming more pass plays so he can gain more experience but right now they are trying to win to build his confidence alittle

There is a difference between hurdling a player and on a designed roll out realizing you have the angle to the sideline to pick up the yards needed for a first down. 

On 10/11/2018 at 8:07 PM, TigerJ said:

This is an interesting topic to me because It seems to be weakness against weakness and strength versus strength.  The Texans have a beat up secondary but are sixth in the league in run defense.  Buffalo has had an ineffective passing offense thus far and have been relying on their running game to a large degree.  While the Texans have a decimated secondary, they do have a frightening pass rush led by twin athletic freaks JJ Watt and Jadeveon Clowney.  How would you attack it?  I fear if the Bills approach it like they did last week, relying extensively on the run game, they will in essence be trying to run into a brick wall.  The Texans' injury situation is in essence an ivitation to pass the ball.  The problem is, the Bills will need to create some sort of blocking scheme that will give Josh Allen a little bit of time with a clear pocket, while Josh is going to have to find it in himself to be at least a little accurate sometimes, and he's going to have to be more aware of his hot reads than he's been and get rid of the ball faster.  I know that runs counter to what the Bills have done the last couple weeks, but I think it has to be done if they are going to beat the Texans.  What does everybody else think?

I'll say the same exact thing every single week, control the clock by running the football, keep the other teams offense off the field and play stout defense until we can get some help next season on offense we will have to play that kind of game. McCoy is also a weapon in the passing game and we have to start getting Charles Clay way more involved, he's probably our best WR and he's been underused since he got signed.

8 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I'll say the same exact thing every single week, control the clock by running the football, keep the other teams offense off the field and play stout defense until we can get some help next season on offense we will have to play that kind of game. McCoy is also a weapon in the passing game and we have to start getting Charles Clay way more involved, he's probably our best WR and he's been underused since he got signed.

If it works, great.  What I'm saying is, it's possible one of these Sundays, Buffalo could run into a brick wall with respect to trying to run the ball.  Houston is a possible location for that to happen.  If the Bills can't run the ball effectively, they need to have a plan B.  I'm also in favor of involving McCoy in the passing game.  All three or Buffalo's tight ends are pretty athletic, and potentially good receivers.  Actually, the only receiver I'm disappointed in is Kelvin Benjamin, who seems more than a touch lazy.  Zay Jones has made some plays when he's been targeted, and doesn't have an inordinate number of drops.

Draw plays slow down pass rush.

Draw also sets up play action.

Inside slants.  Lets our Tackles CUT Watt and Clowney (legitimately) to keep their hands down out of the slant windows.  Also has the secondary effect of slowing down the will of the pass rushers.

Not bubble-screen type plays, because Watt Clowney are long and get their hands up into lanes if not cut, and they both can run.

Wrs in motion a lot, so the(ir sorry asses) cant be jammed off the line.  Also helps Allen (begin to learn how to) read zone v. man presnap.

20 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

There is a difference between hurdling a player and on a designed roll out realizing you have the angle to the sideline to pick up the yards needed for a first down. 

Right but the point is Allen isn’t running to the sidelines he’s going to try to get extra yards that’s how he is wired which is good but the coaches don’t want that from him this year the more he runs the less chance he has to develop and the more chance he has of injury