Offensive Strategy Versus the Texans

TigerJ

Serious (likely dumb) question.

Is there any scheme that would allow Bills O to double team BOTH Watt and Clowney nearly EVERY play?

I'll try to suggest a few ways, not sure how sound they are:

- Double-tight (TEs), maybe empty backfield, 3 WRs (with shady in slot), or 2 WR set with Shady or Ivory in backfield

- Single-tight TE (one side), FB in to help with other side

- Pulling Guards

- WR come down blocks

- G/T double on both sides, C takes one DT, FB takes on other

- Let one DT go unblocked and hope you can make a move to avoid him, or design play away from

Other ways?

56 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Is there any scheme that would allow Bills O to double team BOTH Watt and Clowney nearly EVERY play?

- Double-tight (TEs), maybe empty backfield, 3 WRs (with shady in slot), or 2 WR set with Shady or Ivory in backfield

- Pulling Guards

- WR come down blocks

- Let one DT go unblocked and hope you can make a move to avoid him, or design play away from

Other ways?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a fair amount of max protect (double TE and the like).  As another poster suggested, there could also be a lot of rollouts.  I think the Bills might be able to use the screen pass successfully too,  

The Bills beat them last time and made Watt a non-factor by RUNNING, a lot. Often at him too. Probably one of the most run heavy play calling the Bills did at a time when they were already run oriented. I suggest the Bills do the same! Watt and Clowney are no joke if Allen holds the ball.

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

- Pulling Guards

- WR come down blocks

Other ways?

You take advantage of that aggresiveness by using screens

• Like (+1) 1

Every passing play should have a checkdown option  for Allen to have a safety valve.   I dont care if he uses the checkdown to a back or te  15 times.  Try to set up some screens.  One play I dont see the Bills run is that stretch run Peyton Manning ran so well where he'd run to the right and extend the handoff and every so often he's drop back out of that.  Show the Texans new wrinkles  Get creative w both McCoy and Ivory in the backfield.  Lets be honest Ivory is probably the second best option on offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd expect McCoy and even Ivory to see a heavy workload on Sunday. I see another game coming where Josh Allen doesn't even have 20 pass attempts. He needs to be accurate on those pass attempts though to keep the defense honest. Mix in some RPO, some bubble screens, and take three or four deep shots downfield. Hopefully the defense continues their stellar play, we can sneak out a W, and be somewhere no one really expected us to be after 6 weeks which is at .500 on the season. 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Maybe I'll be proven wrong tomorrow but this is going to be a close game and the 10 point spread is ridiculous.  The Texans are not that good.  They lost to the Giants and every game they have played has been close with both their wins coming in overtime. 

The Bills have a good defense and the Texans despite good numbers from Watson are no juggernaut.  They have real trouble running the ball and have been bad in the red zone.  If the Bills can script an early drive and get out to an early lead I think they win. 

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Daboll should do what McVay does with Goff and have the offense line up early (i.e. well before the 15 second cutoff) and send an audible in.

probably the biggest factor in goff's improvement. i don't know why we can't do that.  getting to the line with 5 secs. left leaves no time to read the d and adjust.

delay of game flags are inexcusable.

• Like (+1) 1