Offensive Strategy Versus the Texans

TigerJ

This is an interesting topic to me because It seems to be weakness against weakness and strength versus strength.  The Texans have a beat up secondary but are sixth in the league in run defense.  Buffalo has had an ineffective passing offense thus far and have been relying on their running game to a large degree.  While the Texans have a decimated secondary, they do have a frightening pass rush led by twin athletic freaks JJ Watt and Jadeveon Clowney.  How would you attack it?  I fear if the Bills approach it like they did last week, relying extensively on the run game, they will in essence be trying to run into a brick wall.  The Texans' injury situation is in essence an ivitation to pass the ball.  The problem is, the Bills will need to create some sort of blocking scheme that will give Josh Allen a little bit of time with a clear pocket, while Josh is going to have to find it in himself to be at least a little accurate sometimes, and he's going to have to be more aware of his hot reads than he's been and get rid of the ball faster.  I know that runs counter to what the Bills have done the last couple weeks, but I think it has to be done if they are going to beat the Texans.  What does everybody else think?

49 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

This is an interesting topic to me because It seems to be weakness against weakness and strength versus strength.  The Texans have a beat up secondary but are sixth in the league in run defense.  Buffalo has had an ineffective passing offense thus far and have been relying on their running game to a large degree.  While the Texans have a decimated secondary, they do have a frightening pass rush led by twin athletic freaks JJ Watt and Jadeveon Clowney.  How would you attack it?  I fear if the Bills approach it like they did last week, relying extensively on the run game, they will in essence be trying to run into a brick wall.  The Texans' injury situation is in essence an ivitation to pass the ball.  The problem is, the Bills will need to create some sort of blocking scheme that will give Josh Allen a little bit of time with a clear pocket, while Josh is going to have to find it in himself to be at least a little accurate sometimes, and he's going to have to be more aware of his hot reads than he's been and get rid of the ball faster.  I know that runs counter to what the Bills have done the last couple weeks, but I think it has to be done if they are going to beat the Texans.  What does everybody else think?

I agree, this is a game where they will need the passing game to win, as well as get TOs to give them good field position. Maybe they'll finally hit the Allen to Foster connection? 

With the pass rush Allen is going to face, and the weakness of our O-line, Allen should get the ball out of his hands fast. He's not going to get a lot of time to go through reads. I'm expecting a lot of designed short yardage throws to Shady, and Ray Ray. I hope they get Ivory in the passing game, as well.

I'm sure not expecting a lot of production out of KB, unless our O-line really surprises and affords Allen more time in the pocket than would be expected. It sure would be nice to see Foster get open downfield, Allen not under throw him, and actually catch the ball. That would be fun to see. Likely? Probably not...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PearlHowardman said:

Easy:  Score 13 points hoping that the Buffalo Bills defense can hold the Texans to 12 points.  I'm being completely realistic.

Don't forget enjoying a +3 turnover ratio for most of the game as well.

I know that lowered to +2 before it was over, but that's why we won the game.

I would rely on the quick passing game to move the chains consistently. You still need to get Shady enough quality touch to allow a few big shots with the play action game. It would be a great week for Robert Foster to catch a couple deep balls. I also want Zay Jones to be the focus of the offense this week.

I'd do a lot of short to medium passes. Get the ball out quickly. Also, help the OT's by chipping on Watt and Clowney. Leave backs and TE's in occasionally too for protection. Run between the tackles to set up play action. Maybe a bigger dose of Ivory than usual. Also, Groy is a better pass blocker, but Bodine is a better run blocker with good strength. Start Bodine. I hope Miller can go. He just played his best game in a while against the Titans. Mills will be blocking Watt who is much stronger. He will need help on a high percentage of plays. Go for deep passes on 2nd and short. Run some screens with Shady. Get Clay the ball unless Mathieu is shadowing him all day.

6 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I'd do a lot of short to medium passes. Get the ball out quickly. Also, help the OT's by chipping on Watt and Clowney. Leave backs and TE's in occasionally too for protection. Run between the tackles to set up play action. Maybe a bigger dose of Ivory than usual. Also, Groy is a better pass blocker, but Bodine is a better run blocker with good strength. Start Bodine. I hope Miller can go. He just played his best game in a while against the Titans. Mills will be blocking Watt who is much stronger. He will need help on a high percentage of plays. Go for deep passes on 2nd and short. Run some screens with Shady. Get Clay the ball unless Mathieu is shadowing him all day.

Agreed on almost all points, but I wouldn’t throw deep often.  Only a couple of times.  I’d rather see more crossing routes from Clay, swing passes to Ivory as he’s prone to getting yards after catch and just let McCoy do his thing.  I agree on some TE help with Mills.  Even if Clay just chips him and runs his intermediate routes.

10 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

With the pass rush Allen is going to face, and the weakness of our O-line, Allen should get the ball out of his hands fast. He's not going to get a lot of time to go through reads. I'm expecting a lot of designed short yardage throws to Shady, and Ray Ray. I hope they get Ivory in the passing game, as well.

I'm sure not expecting a lot of production out of KB, unless our O-line really surprises and affords Allen more time in the pocket than would be expected. It sure would be nice to see Foster get open downfield, Allen not under throw him, and actually catch the ball. That would be fun to see. Likely? Probably not...

That would require our receivers to get open fast as well...

• Like (+1) 1