Cap Room Analysis requested

I am too lazy to do this.  But most of us are putting a lot of stock into the cap room if we have next year.  If you were to 90 million of cap room for this past free agency season, what would have been the optimal way to spend that, based on the actual contracts players signed in the 2018 free agency season (assume any signed player would have been willing to come to Buffalo for the same price).  What would we have gotten on the shopping spree? 

5 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I am too lazy to do this.  But most of us are putting a lot of stock into the cap room if we have next year.  If you were to 90 million of cap room for this past free agency season, what would have been the optimal way to spend that, based on the actual contracts players signed in the 2018 free agency season (assume any signed player would have been willing to come to Buffalo for the same price).  What would we have gotten on the shopping spree? 

Umm Two O-linemen to replace Wood / Incognito, a top WR and maybe more impactful D-Linemen than Star and Murphy.

• Like (+1) 1

I am hoping someone is ambitious enough to put names together in a plan.  For example Jarvis Landry was signed by the browns and is at 15.5 million 2018 cap hit. Michael Crabtree was a 7.1 mm cap hit.   that eats up a chunk of the 90. Its great to say "top oline and top WR's , but what does it really mean in terms of what players cost in FA, and with filling out a whole roster. The 90 assumes some players are gone.   

Does it really matter? The Jets had a similar boatload of money to spend in FA this past season and supposedly were hot to sign Cousins to a huge contract. Had they signed him would they then have gone out and drafted Darnold? Assuming that ANY particular  player would be willing to come here if the money were roughly the same is a waste of time and effort because in "real life" players are gonna do what THEY believe to be in their best interest. Cousins for example wanted to sign with a team that in his mind was in the best position to possibly get to and win in the playoffs. Hence he chose Minnesota over the Jets and other teams like say Denver which also coveted him. So what good does it do to pick and choose a bunch of players based on the dollars that they signed for this past year (assuming you had 90 million to spend) when realistically there was no chance of that actually happening in "real life"?

10 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

i'm against a star WR. give me two moderately productive WRs. star WRs get shut down. 

I need a better d lineman

o line, o line, o line. 

we have D line problems?

13 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I am hoping someone is ambitious enough to put names together in a plan.  For example Jarvis Landry was signed by the browns and is at 15.5 million 2018 cap hit. Michael Crabtree was a 7.1 mm cap hit.   that eats up a chunk of the 90. Its great to say "top oline and top WR's , but what does it really mean in terms of what players cost in FA, and with filling out a whole roster. The 90 assumes some players are gone.   

So let me make sure I have this right.  You don't have time to put together a plan to spend next years free agency money - showing this years free agents and their contracts - but you want someone else to do it?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, White Linen said:

So let me make sure I have this right.  You don't have time to put together a plan to spend next years free agency money - showing this years free agents and their contracts - but you want someone else to do it?

Newsflash; we’re blessed here with posters who commit a lot of their time to this process while the rest of us bowl, hunt, fish, work a 2nd job or just drink booze. I’m interested as well and already glad for some of the input. If you can offer worthwhile data on the subject, Thank you in advance. If not, lighten your Linens..

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, White Linen said:

So he is a taker and not a maker - hard way to go through life IMO.  

• Like (+1) 1

There's going to be steep competition for every UFA with all this money floating around in cap space. According to SportTrac, there are 10 teams with more than 50M for 2019.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2019/#

In some ways trades have become more predominant, but if the Bills are going to pull themselves out of the bad to mediocre abyss they've been in the past 19 years, it's not going to be through UFA.

2 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

FA:

OL1 - 9 mill

OL2 - 8 mill

OL3 - 6 mill

WR1 - 13 mill

WR2 - 7 mill

CB - 10 mill

=53mill

Rest $$$: rookies and our FA's

Draft:

OL

WR

RB

TE

LB

S

DE

QB (backup with high ceiling)

Using your example (going into next year) i will take a swing. Last year doesn’t matter to me anymore:

- Ja’Wuan James $9m

- Roger Saffold $8m

- Brett Jones $6m

- Golden Tate $13M

- Robby Anderson $7M

- Bradley Roby $10M

I don’t know how realistic that is but think it’s a decent first pass.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Umm Two O-linemen to replace Wood / Incognito, a top WR and maybe more impactful D-Linemen than Star and Murphy.

I disagree with the bolded part. Star has taken on double teams and one exactly what they've asked of him. He's a classic example of what doesn't show up in stats but really plays a big role in the Defense. And in case you didn't notice, since the half of the Chargers game, this Defense has been very, very good. Even the Packers game they were much better than some believe simply because of poor Offensive play putting them in difficult spots with one of the best QBs to ever play the game. Look on-line at some of the analysis of Star and I think you'll be surprise.

As for Murphy, he wasn't healthy until the Vikes game and then he started to show up and even last week, his name was brought up a few times and caused the near INT by White when Mariota threw falling backwards. He's coming into what many believed he could be to this team. 

14 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

We can't spend all of that $90M on FA's this offseason, doing that would put us right back in the cap hell that we are about to get out of.  I believe the "process" is to mainly build through the draft and resign our own players.  I expect a few high priced FAs this offseason, hopefully O-line and WR, but not $90M worth. 

13 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

i'm against a star WR. give me two moderately productive WRs. star WRs get shut down. 

I need a better d lineman

o line, o line, o line. 

True star WRs don't get shut down, it's just very hard to find one anywhere but the draft.  It's a big risk to give a guy $15M hoping he can turn into a #1.

I think our d-line is shaping up pretty nicely.