How Shaq Lawson Bought In and Renewed His Commitment

On 10/12/2018 at 6:21 AM, oldmanfan said:

The problem is that too many people assume because he was drafted in round 1 that it meant he's automatically supposed to be a great pass rusher.  HE's more a solid all around type guy, plays the run well, gets some pressure in the pass rush, they can move him inside, and such.  

No the problem is that he was a statistically productive pass rusher in college and got over-drafted because of some bad/lazy personnel work.

I said when he was drafted that his ceiling was Melvin Ingram.........a good complementary pass rusher..........and his floor was Courtney Upshaw.

And when healthy he's been Courtney Upshaw.    And he's year 3 Courtney Upshaw so far.

Courtney Upshaw was a nice run defender but teams lost interest because like Shaq he just didn't get to QB's............and that's the name of the game.

• Like (+1) 2

It will be interesting to see where he sticks in the league. He is a great contain guy, unfortunately for him, his skill set is two decades past its shelf life.

I'm not sure what his 5th year option ends up costing, but I'm not sure he is worth it. Good player, but totally over drafted at 19 by Rex.

5 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

It will be interesting to see where he sticks in the league. He is a great contain guy, unfortunately for him, his skill set is two decades past its shelf life.

I'm not sure what his 5th year option ends up costing, but I'm not sure he is worth it. Good player, but totally over drafted at 19 by Rex.

Overdrafted?  People love to use revisionist history.

2016 NFL Draft Profile: Shaq Lawson

*Shaq Lawson | Clemson, DE : 2016 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Counting down the SI 50: Clemson DE Shaq Lawson

Here's why Shaq Lawson would be a great fit in Buffalo

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't agree. I give you credit for all the sourcing you do. I just don't recall him ever being projected as a good run stopper, set the edge DE. It was either he was going to be amazing against the pass or he was banged up and not worth the 1st.

I remember him being considered a steal where they got him. I just think as far as his skillset goes he was over drafted. Guys who play like him aren't sought out in the first round. That's all I meant with that post, I'm given the benefit of hindsight also. 

At this point, what he does, he looks like a reach in my opinion. I'm not trying to say he's an awful player

31 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Like the rest of the defense, he's played well the last few games.  Had a sack today.  Forced the fumble last week.  Getting good pressure.  He's a good rotational DE, but definitely not 1st round talent.

This is fair. He isn’t making a ton of money while playing on rookie deal. He is decent which is better than a Maybin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mic'd Up: Shaq Lawson (2:57)

In this edition of "Mic'd Up" we put the mic on Defensive Lineman Shaq Lawson for the week 9 matchup with the Chicago Bears.

Stats: Increased production highlights Shaq Lawson's growth

uwsg7mvv7rxwpzdypkz9.png

The Bills defense gave up three touchdowns in Sunday’s loss to Chicago, but all of them came on short fields for the Bears. Performing well in the defensive effort was Shaq Lawson, who stepped in at left defensive end for the injured Trent Murphy.

Lawson posted a career-high seven tackles on just 40 snaps, and added a quarterback hit and a pass breakup.

Two of his tackles dropped Bears RB Jordan Howard for a loss. Lawson had a third down stop for no gain and had a quarterback hit on Mitchell Trubisky that led to a third down incompletion and punt by Chicago.

"Shaq has been a bright spot for us," said McDermott. "He's a young man that when we came here I know he had some inconsistency in his history in terms of being available. Here's a young man who has developed on the field and off the field. Has he reached a final landing spot? No, but he showed Sunday he's on the upward climb and I'm extremely proud of how he has progressed this season, and the job that coach Teerlinck and coach Whitecotton have done with him."

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Mic'd Up: Shaq Lawson (2:57)

In this edition of "Mic'd Up" we put the mic on Defensive Lineman Shaq Lawson for the week 9 matchup with the Chicago Bears.

Stats: Increased production highlights Shaq Lawson's growth

uwsg7mvv7rxwpzdypkz9.png

The Bills defense gave up three touchdowns in Sunday’s loss to Chicago, but all of them came on short fields for the Bears. Performing well in the defensive effort was Shaq Lawson, who stepped in at left defensive end for the injured Trent Murphy.

Lawson posted a career-high seven tackles on just 40 snaps, and added a quarterback hit and a pass breakup.

Two of his tackles dropped Bears RB Jordan Howard for a loss. Lawson had a third down stop for no gain and had a quarterback hit on Mitchell Trubisky that led to a third down incompletion and punt by Chicago.

"Shaq has been a bright spot for us," said McDermott. "He's a young man that when we came here I know he had some inconsistency in his history in terms of being available. Here's a young man who has developed on the field and off the field. Has he reached a final landing spot? No, but he showed Sunday he's on the upward climb and I'm extremely proud of how he has progressed this season, and the job that coach Teerlinck and coach Whitecotton have done with him."

He has definitely looked pretty solid. Nice to see him coming around. He's a likable player.

And he's up to #26 overall among all DEs (right and left) according to PFF: https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/shaq-lawson/10653

• Like (+1) 1

I've been saying from day 1...he's a worthy first round pick. Maybe not ideal fit here, but solid against the run. Give you 5 sacks a year.solid, not spectacular. But worth his pick status. And getting better. He's got a chance to be a starting DE in this league