No Free Agent Wide Receivers?

jtothebrown

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

Both also probably have exaggerated opinions on their self worth. In any event it would be extremely foolish for either of these guys or anyone else who is a Free agent to be snobby about trying out for a team just because they may not like the coaching staff or the city. Sure there are funner cities than Buffalo but who cares, anywhere is amazing if you are millionaire!  Its also really bad for any free agents to be away from the game for any length of time. The amount of rust on these guys just becomes way too difficult to shake off. Watching someone like Manziel struggle in the CFL with Montreal just shows you that any time away from football is lethal for your career longevity. I can only assume that its the Bills who haven't bothered to contact these guys because they don't fit the "process" or the character requirement. Which is also pretty stupid under the circumstances.

Some cant accept when their skills begin to diminish. Alot of pro athletes are used to being on the top and when they fall off massive denial ensues. The past few years that ive seen Dez play he looked average at best. Slow and poor hand/eye coordination comes to mind. 

If Maclin and Dez dont wanna be here, then why pursue? This team is beginning to change the culture- with ten draft picks and 91 mil in cap space next season, Josh Allen should get some shiny new toys and better protection as well.

The key this year- continue to give Josh a chance to develop while excercising patience and not getting him killed. Last week he was upright most of the game, it would be nice for that to become a trend.

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

If you build it, they will come....

I don't blame the notable WRs who want to win this year for not wanting to take a ride on this roller coaster. As for next year, if they're a FA WR, then they should be knowledgeable about how this team is being built for the years to come and want to be part of it. Allen will take his steps and grow, the Offensive line will improve and the team will become a strong contender once we make it through this year. And I'm not giving up entirely on the team this year, I'm merely point out that this year is so much more about setting the table for the years to come than it is about winning in 2018.

Well, the roller coaster works both ways. It is a gamble hiring prima washed up donnas. Beggers like Dez cannot be choosers. Don't play a whole year more if he wants. The almost nonexistent demand now will go to 0 demand for him and others like him next year. Players who are old and on the big decline and who have bigger heads and headaches than nfl teams want or need, are a dime a dozen.

2 hours ago, jtothebrown said:

So many of us have been wondering why we havent signed any semi-notable wr's this year with the obvious need for help in that department.

I recently spoke to a very reliable source today that told me why! The Dez Bryants, Maclins, etc have turned us down. We go through the scrap heaps for a reason. 

So if you know  why, why ask us?

44 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Trade and sign Tate. 

Why not just sign him in the offseason and keep your 3rd round pick in the process? I just don't see the rush personally; this team isn't going anywhere this year regardless.

• Like (+1) 1

Maclin is a true pro.  I think we need that here.  He can't be asking for too much...* Just read he wants no part of the team.

Problem is, having a lot of cap room is great, but, a curse too.  Most good/great players don't hit free agency and those that do have an *.  The Bills don't have a core group of young talent worth re-upping now.  

It's bad enough that Buffalo has to overpay to get FA talent to consider playing there.

Edited by YodaMan79

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Why not just sign him in the offseason and keep your 3rd round pick in the process? I just don't see the rush personally; this team isn't going anywhere this year regardless.

Wouldnt give a third but would give a fifth which we have two of 

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Yep, the way I see it, this year is really about next year, and the year after that. By then you have an idea what you have with Allen and whether you need to go back to the QB well (I obviously hope not!). I’m not sure he’s the guy, but I like most of what they are doing.  Draft again next year like they seem to have last year? That could be special. 

BTW - if this projection continues as I see it now, I’d give these guys another shot at a QB if we don’t have “the guy”. Don’t start over unless the wheels totally fall of. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Yep, the way I see it, this year is really about next year, and the year after that. By then you have an idea what you have with Allen and whether you need to go back to the QB well (I obviously hope not!). I’m not sure he’s the guy, but I like most of what they are doing.  Draft again next year like they seem to have last year? That could be special. 

BTW - if this projection continues as I see it now, I’d give these guys another shot at a QB if we don’t have “the guy”. Don’t start over unless the wheels totally fall of. 

Ideally if Allen busts (hope not), we should have a good young foundation of a team for another rookie QB to rely on.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

Personally, I don’t want players that don’t want to be here. Oftentimes they also play like they don’t want to be here.

I agree and your post screams Kelvin Benjamin,a talented player that wasn't happy in Charlotte and doesn't appear to be liking it here very much either.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Wait until ‘19 when we have 80 million + in cap room.  They’ll be lining up to come to Buffalo.  Money talks.

Big Johhny,I would much rather build back up to the elite days via the draft.How many of the big splash,overpaid,long term signings end up working out...not many,imo.If we keep drafting high,our draftees will want some big chunks of the pie down the road... we need to have the green to run a dynasty with chemistry...instead of rotating 30-40% of the roster every off season.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So if you know  why, why ask us?

He didn't. I read his post as a statement, not a question. Not sure why you didn't,maybe because the title has a question mark in it? The OP seems to be a statement to me though,but whatever....

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

I get that none of the big names want to be in Buf.   Still kinda shake my head that the team released guys like O'Leary and Rod Streater.  Not that our record would we any better, but the team desperately needs some possession receivers on the field.  Those guys knew the system and could have contributed more than Robert Foster, Logan Thomas, etc..., Right?!?

Don't forget about Jeremy Kerley.  He's a good possession receiver.  My guess is either he didn't want to or couldn't play special teams or did or said something to piss off coach McD.  It still made little sense to keep Foster if only for his speed.  When Allen does get the ball to him, he drops it.  He doesn't contribute anything else.  

1 minute ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Don't forget about Jeremy Kerley.  He's a good possession receiver.  My guess is either he didn't want to or couldn't play special teams or did or said something to piss off coach McD.  It still made little sense to keep Foster if only for his speed.  When Allen does get the ball to him, he drops it.  He doesn't contribute anything else.  

Good points being made! I dont agree with BB's moves of letting the better quality receivers thatvwe had go, and i do not think hes doing a great job, but i know know that hes somewhat looking to address it, and hes getting some tur downs.

He obviously isnt going to state that publicly, so he'd rather the public believe what they want instead of make the team look worse by announcing the turn downs.

Look how long it took the news of John Brown turning us down this year.

2 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Both also probably have exaggerated opinions on their self worth. In any event it would be extremely foolish for either of these guys or anyone else who is a Free agent to be snobby about trying out for a team just because they may not like the coaching staff or the city. Sure there are funner cities than Buffalo but who cares, anywhere is amazing if you are millionaire!  Its also really bad for any free agents to be away from the game for any length of time. The amount of rust on these guys just becomes way too difficult to shake off. Watching someone like Manziel struggle in the CFL with Montreal just shows you that any time away from football is lethal for your career longevity. I can only assume that its the Bills who haven't bothered to contact these guys because they don't fit the "process" or the character requirement. Which is also pretty stupid under the circumstances.

Ricky Watters is still waiting for a better offer so he can feed his family.