No Free Agent Wide Receivers?

jtothebrown

Sadly I think our best FA candidates are Josh Gordon and Martavious Bryant (if he’s not retained).  We have to hope they can be the second coming of Ritchie Incognito as opposed to a Merrimanlike contribution.  

Been scouting these college WRs and I can’t figure out if any of these guys stand out.  Aj brown maybe? Seems like his explosiveness comes and goes though.  

Buffalo is a great town, and i believe that if this GM can stop ridding the team of its more talented players, like he has. We will not only retain top tier draft picks, we will lure the mire talented FA's too.

One thing we also gotta take into consideration, its not only the players involved in the decision where to sign, their agents play a huge roll in determining where his or her players sign. 

As i mentioned in the post, agents are declining, which may or may not be only the players decision alone.

1 minute ago, clearwater cadet said:

I think that a lot of FA just don't want to come here, and the ones who do get over payed with guaranteed money and play with half effort.  In return that limits the amount of people we can bring in.  I don't know if that will ever change.   

Also from the list of available FA wr's & olineman , were screwed. Regardless of whether they want to come to Buffalo or not. We're going to be forced to rely on the draft more than ever.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

Big Johhny,I would much rather build back up to the elite days via the draft.How many of the big splash,overpaid,long term signings end up working out...not many,imo.If we keep drafting high,our draftees will want some big chunks of the pie down the road... we need to have the green to run a dynasty with chemistry...instead of rotating 30-40% of the roster every off season.

Yeah, no crap.  The OP opined that the big free agent WR’s didn’t want to come to Buffalo because we suck.  My point was that we will have a lot of money to spend next year, thus we will be more likely to land big name FA’s who normally wouldn’t sign here.  Not saying I want to overpay for FA’s, but we could....

59 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

what about Tate?... all this cap money and no one to spend it on...

I’d take him.  Not his biggest fan but we need solid WRs.  Probably cost us 16 mill a year to get a 10 mill talent to come to buffalo though 

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’d take him.  Not his biggest fan but we need solid WRs.  Probably cost us 16 mill a year to get a 10 mill talent to come to buffalo though 

Unfortunately there's not much to choose from. Tate, Funchess, Lockett, maybe Moncrief? The FA cupboard is real bare. I say draft Brown & Lamb from Oklahoma. 

23 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, no crap.  The OP opined that the big free agent WR’s didn’t want to come to Buffalo because we suck.  My point was that we will have a lot of money to spend next year, thus we will be more likely to land big name FA’s who normally wouldn’t sign here.  Not saying I want to overpay for FA’s, but we could....

No reason to throw popcorn,son....but big names come with big #'s and most have some miles on them.Now..if you want to talk about some middle of the road FA's ,I'm in,but stay within your long term budget.P.S.-you need to cool your engines a bit,you seem to have some hypertension going on.Chill.

3 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

No reason to throw popcorn,son....but big names come with big #'s and most have some miles on them.Now..if you want to talk about some middle of the road FA's ,I'm in,but stay within your long term budget.P.S.-you need to cool your engines a bit,you seem to have some hypertension going on.Chill.

If I wanted any lip from you, I’d scrape it off my zipper.  Kick rocks, jackoff.

McBeane believe in growing their own.   I'd bet that they're thinking this:

1.  They're going to make Ray Ray and Zay into the kind of receivers they want.  

2.  They're going to draft a receiver in 2019.

3.  They're going to pick up a free agent second third year guy who hasn't made it yet (like Ray Ray), and make him into what they want.  

Not popular, but that's my guess.  

These guys are sure of themselves, and they're patient.  I'm sure they have assurances from assurances from the Pegulas that they will be allowed to stay and do their work.  I'd guess they have at least three years, maybe more, and they're confident that by 2020 this team is going to be competing.  

5 hours ago, drf1835 said:

Well, the roller coaster works both ways. It is a gamble hiring prima washed up donnas. Beggers like Dez cannot be choosers. Don't play a whole year more if he wants. The almost nonexistent demand now will go to 0 demand for him and others like him next year. Players who are old and on the big decline and who have bigger heads and headaches than nfl teams want or need, are a dime a dozen.

Yeah, I understand. I wasn’t saying I’m a fan of Dez in particular b/c I believe he is the antithesis to what McD & Beane are building. It was more that FA WRs in general will hopefully see the vision. I don’t think they necessarily want the top WR in the market. I think they’re looking for WRs who are good but unselfish with a team first mentality and those types of WRs will value the build that is occurring in Buffalo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

McBeane believe in growing their own.   I'd bet that they're thinking this:

1.  They're going to make Ray Ray and Zay into the kind of receivers they want.  

2.  They're going to draft a receiver in 2019.

3.  They're going to pick up a free agent second third year guy who hasn't made it yet (like Ray Ray), and make him into what they want.  

Not popular, but that's my guess.  

These guys are sure of themselves, and they're patient.  I'm sure they have assurances from assurances from the Pegulas that they will be allowed to stay and do their work.  I'd guess they have at least three years, maybe more, and they're confident that by 2020 this team is going to be competing.  

I doubt they are counting on Ray Ray

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yep. This is why if they want to acquire a decent WR with experience they have to trade for one and overpay to keep him. 

And probably have to overpay in the trade too.

Teams need WR talent more than ever and at the same time the pipeline of freak WR talent dried up after the 2014 draft.

Chuck Knox once said Buffalo is where coaches go to die.........and sure enough for decades after that Ralph couldn't get a sniff of a HC with a good resume.

Buffalo is now where WR's go to die.   

And every agent knows it.

This team desperately needs a #1 WR.........if only to create better matchups for EVERYONE else.

8 hours ago, zow2 said:

I get that none of the big names want to be in Buf.   Still kinda shake my head that the team released guys like O'Leary and Rod Streater.  Not that our record would we any better, but the team desperately needs some possession receivers on the field.  Those guys knew the system and could have contributed more than Robert Foster, Logan Thomas, etc..., Right?!?

I would take Logan over O'Leary but streeter over any wr not named Zay. Hes the only one who can catch.... did I just say that

8 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

You know why they dont want to come? The Bills are cash strapped this season. Also, I dont think the Bills reached out to Maclin or Dez. Neither player has latched on because they both have really lost a step.

Maclin last year