No Free Agent Wide Receivers?

jtothebrown

I am going to go out on a limb and say the Bills have never inquired about Dez.   Given the manner in which Maclin turned them down last year, I would also be surprised if they inquired about him. 

The season a third of the way over and neither of them is on a team.   If anyone wants to believe they are seeking a superbowl more than a game check right now go ahead and be my guest, but my feeling is neither of these guys have vast options. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

No FA WR worth his salt will sign with the Bills this season if they are looking to make the playoffs. Nor do we really need to make any mid-season moves for any. Despite the current state of our corps, it's not like we're contending for a berth this year so why waste money on a WR that likely won't even fit the system/culture? We may have some more leverage in FA with our increased cap, but still risk overpaying for top talent. To be honest, Funchess is about the only WR I'd offer from this upcoming pool, but it's likely he stays put. We'll more than likely fill out our corps with second rate receivers with good fundamentals.

I'd rather we put our draft capital to work here for our top WR in the 2nd to start to provide a WR corps of the future. Use this to gain momentum and attraction for other elite talent. 

Frankly, if they don't want to be part of the build and future process, then fine.

Edited by ctk232

I wouldn’t doubt it.  If we had a reliable vet or Josh Allen was playing like Baker Mayfield, I’m sure they’d come here given our potential running game and defense.  

Now, with Josh, is it chicken or egg?  Probably both, but nobody knows how he’d look with Bakers weapons. 

16 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Wait until ‘19 when we have 80 million + in cap room.  They’ll be lining up to come to Buffalo.  Money talks.

Can only hope Josh shows enough promise to entice potential WR talent to sign here. He's gonna have to show a whole lot more than he has. 

1 hour ago, jtothebrown said:

The Bills have reached out to several agents of several wr's, and from what im told, those specific players agents declined, basically stating that their guys is waiting on a contending team to open up a spot.

We will see some moves with some of those available in a couple more weeks.

Im going to behave and not say anything negative in return.

#savage

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

I get that none of the big names want to be in Buf.   Still kinda shake my head that the team released guys like O'Leary and Rod Streater.  Not that our record would we any better, but the team desperately needs some possession receivers on the field.  Those guys knew the system and could have contributed more than Robert Foster, Logan Thomas, etc..., Right?!?

BOOM! My thoughts exactly.  O'Leary, Streater and Brandon Reilly have all shown more than Foster, Holmes, Lee and RayRay. Thomas I understand they kept because he is good at reading and picking up protections. 

34 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

go get golden tate and reap the rewards

He's a free agent at the end of the year anyways. There's no real point in trading for him now.

Some of the WRs that I think could possibly be had via trade if we chose to pursue are:

DeVante Parker - though I'm sure Miami would prefer to trade him outside the division

Travis Benjamin - though do you really want to take his contract?

Amari Cooper - there's been speculation that Gruden would consider trading him rather than paying him his next contract

Nelson Agholor - $9.3 million cap hit next season and he hasn't done anything this year

2 hours ago, jtothebrown said:

So many of us have been wondering why we havent signed any semi-notable wr's this year with the obvious need for help in that department.

I recently spoke to a very reliable source today that told me why! The Dez Bryants, Maclins, etc have turned us down. We go through the scrap heaps for a reason. 

Both of them are scrap head receivers... we're playing for 2019, in case you haven't figured that out. Allen needs help with the game FIRST, then he gets REAL upgrades on offense, not bandaids.

8 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

It's too late for that this season, it would take a WR a few weeks to get up to speed with the offense, and I'm not sure adding a WR is going to do much with a rookie QB.    

I see that from our point of view. If I’m an unemployed WR I just might take a few million to get on any team now, rather than wonder if I had been “involuntarily retired”. Any guy on the street now stands a chance of never playing again. I’d pad the bank account, at least “pulling a Kelvin”, as I call it. 

• Like (+1) 2

If I were a Free agent WR I wouldn’t want to play with Josh Allen.  Accuracy issues and a laser beam. Your drop rate is sure to go up just because some of his passes are tougher to catch just due to the velocity. He can make a wr look real bad.  It’s happening to Benjamin right now.  While he is a bum, his hands have never been this bad before.  Catching a pass from JA isn’t the same as catching it from other QBs.  

Then throw in the crappy weather and almost 20 years of a wr graveyard.  Been over 10 years since we had a true number 1 WR actually perform like one, Eric Moulds.  Sammy did for 1/2 a season

Wait, how many of the Dez Bryants turned the Bills down?

18 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

It's too late for that this season, it would take a WR a few weeks to get up to speed with the offense, and I'm not sure adding a WR is going to do much with a rookie QB.    

Wait what?

Out of work WRs by week 6 would take money to come here, especially a 1-2 year deal!

As for Allen... if he had some good receivers he could do way more! 

And all in all, this is a message for the "tank the season for picks" crowd: if you show potential, free agents WILL come here. Otherwise we get second rate ones asking for top dollars. And while the 1st round picks and some 2nds ones you better pick high, all the other ones are basically crapshoots. 

17 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

He's a free agent at the end of the year anyways. There's no real point in trading for him now.

Some of the WRs that I think could possibly be had via trade if we chose to pursue are:

DeVante Parker - though I'm sure Miami would prefer to trade him outside the division

Travis Benjamin - though do you really want to take his contract?

Amari Cooper - there's been speculation that Gruden would consider trading him rather than paying him his next contract

Nelson Agholor - $9.3 million cap hit next season and he hasn't done anything this year

Trade and sign Tate. 

21 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

BOOM! My thoughts exactly.  O'Leary, Streater and Brandon Reilly have all shown more than Foster, Holmes, Lee and RayRay. Thomas I understand they kept because he is good at reading and picking up protections. 

Thomas also has laid down some nasty blocks. Leveled a DE last week (link and vid are in the All-22 thread). 

• Like (+1) 1