No Free Agent Wide Receivers?

jtothebrown

So many of us have been wondering why we havent signed any semi-notable wr's this year with the obvious need for help in that department.

I recently spoke to a very reliable source today that told me why! The Dez Bryants, Maclins, etc have turned us down. We go through the scrap heaps for a reason. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

If you build it, they will come....

I don't blame the notable WRs who want to win this year for not wanting to take a ride on this roller coaster. As for next year, if they're a FA WR, then they should be knowledgeable about how this team is being built for the years to come and want to be part of it. Allen will take his steps and grow, the Offensive line will improve and the team will become a strong contender once we make it through this year. And I'm not giving up entirely on the team this year, I'm merely point out that this year is so much more about setting the table for the years to come than it is about winning in 2018.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, jtothebrown said:

So many of us have been wondering why we havent signed any semi-notable wr's this year with the obvious need for help in that department.

I recently spoke to a very reliable source today that told me why! The Dez Bryants, Maclins, etc have turned us down. We go through the scrap heaps for a reason. 

Yes, is the reliable source the voice in your head?

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I get that none of the big names want to be in Buf.   Still kinda shake my head that the team released guys like O'Leary and Rod Streater.  Not that our record would we any better, but the team desperately needs some possession receivers on the field.  Those guys knew the system and could have contributed more than Robert Foster, Logan Thomas, etc..., Right?!?

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, jtothebrown said:

You know why they dont want to come? The Bills are cash strapped this season. Also, I dont think the Bills reached out to Maclin or Dez. Neither player has latched on because they both have really lost a step.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills have reached out to several agents of several wr's, and from what im told, those specific players agents declined, basically stating that their guys is waiting on a contending team to open up a spot.

We will see some moves with some of those available in a couple more weeks.

38 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Yes, is the reliable source the voice in your head?

Im going to behave and not say anything negative in return.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, jtothebrown said:

Does your "reliable source" attend any high-level business meetings, tho?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jtothebrown said:

The Bills have reached out to several agents of several wr's, and from what im told, those specific players agents declined, basically stating that their guys is waiting on a contending team to open up a spot.

We will see some moves with some of those available in a couple more weeks.

There isn't one free agent WR that would turn us down just because they simply refuse to come here.  

None of them have the clout to wait for a contender, none.  

Not surprising given our QB situation at start of year and developments since then.  

Winning and national recognition will lure players here in time.  Hopefully just like the late 80's and early 90's.  

Lofton, Bennett, Sam Adams, Ted Washington, Bryce Paup came here because they saw the upside.

9 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

You know why they dont want to come? The Bills are cash strapped this season. Also, I dont think the Bills reached out to Maclin or Dez. Neither player has latched on because they both have really lost a step.

Both also probably have exaggerated opinions on their self worth. In any event it would be extremely foolish for either of these guys or anyone else who is a Free agent to be snobby about trying out for a team just because they may not like the coaching staff or the city. Sure there are funner cities than Buffalo but who cares, anywhere is amazing if you are millionaire!  Its also really bad for any free agents to be away from the game for any length of time. The amount of rust on these guys just becomes way too difficult to shake off. Watching someone like Manziel struggle in the CFL with Montreal just shows you that any time away from football is lethal for your career longevity. I can only assume that its the Bills who haven't bothered to contact these guys because they don't fit the "process" or the character requirement. Which is also pretty stupid under the circumstances.

• Like (+1) 1