My personal vow regarding Josh Allen: Who is with me

Like A Mofo

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This is really what I dont understand

Did ppl really think that a raw rookie QB was going to overcome the lack of talent on this offense.....I mean....REALLY?

Hope is powerful drug.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

Dear Social Media and message board watchers,

I as a Buffalo Bills fan will refrain from making a definitive conclusion as to Josh Allen and if he 'is the answer' at QB for the long term for the Buffalo Bills for the rest of the season. After reviewing mine and other opinions over the weeks, I realize that the knee jerk reactions are not needed during this time. I will allow time for Josh to develop. I will stay even keel if Allen has a great game or a bad game in 2018. I will tell myself over and over that 2019 will bring in an infusion of talent which can help the young signal caller. I will remind myself that quarterbacks can take different amounts of time to develop.

I sign off on this vow the rest of the year, for my betterment as a fan of this team. Who is with me?

Signed,

Like A Mofo

thats how it should be period..knee jerk reactions like CUT shady after a bad game need to stop

I’m on. Anyone who claims that Josh Allen is already a genuine “bust” has questionable judgment. 

I am wary of anybody in all aspects of my life who professes to know the unknowable. Why should it be any different in this case?

I have felt like this for all of our young QBs. Hell, even Fitz. Bills fans generally want instant answer, gratification. It just doesnt work that way. They are gonna screw up. They need the help of a competent coach and not fear being run out of buffalo for a bad game. He has played 1 truly good game and, as much as I didnt want him, I'm riding with him atleast through the end of next season.

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

What exactly is wrong with praising him when he plays well and badmouthing him when he plays poorly, and predicting whether or not he will look good or average or bad or great in the mid, near or far off future? It's what message boards are for. It's what fans do. It's not set in stone, it's a fluid opinion. The only thing that may be wrong about it is saying you know this is how it's going to be when you don't, good or bad. 

To me its like people complaining that you're innocent until proven guilty in this country. That is actually only in court. People should be able to voice and change their opinions about guilt or innocence on places like message boards based on what they know or think they know at the time. It makes for some great discussions. If you're ill-informed then it will show. 

A moratorium on deciding whether you think Josh is good or bad until the end of the season seems like a way to make the board a more boring place. It's okay to change your mind on things like rookie quarterbacks. 

There's nothing wrong with it. Ask yourself this question. Would there be a thread like this with this many likes if he had looked good so far? I doubt it. This thread and it's praise are not only unnecessary, but borne out of fear that he will not progress. He may or he may not, but so far he has everything stacked against him.

9 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Are you Josh'n us?   

You can't pass judgement w/o a body of work.     

Anyone can guess right or wrong.   

....Judgement has been passed based on his work in college and at the combine.  Many of the doubters (including me) look at his production in college and judge that to translate to poor NFL QB.  The supporters (the coach and front office included) have looked at the test scores, the physical traits, the combine measurables and judged him to translate to future franchise QB.  I am sure you are refering to his NFL body of work...and that is fair, but there is alot of work out there already to analyze and draw an opinion from....

It is a fair point to give the kid this whole year to see what you have....and it's a legit point to see what he does when you assume that the roster around him will be considerably upgraded next season.  It was the plan the whole time...it's worth follow through on.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Derek Anderson is 57 years old. At least Allen has the legs to try to scramble out of the pocket. Anderson’s hips just ain’t what they used to be

Dang he went from 48 to 57 in less than a Bojorquez hang time to the 20...

7 hours ago, FLFan said:

Hope is powerful drug.

Especially when it’s based on incredibly promising potential!

10 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

....Judgement has been passed based on his work in college and at the combine.  Many of the doubters (including me) look at his production in college and judge that to translate to poor NFL QB.  The supporters (the coach and front office included) have looked at the test scores, the physical traits, the combine measurables and judged him to translate to future franchise QB.  I am sure you are refering to his NFL body of work...and that is fair, but there is alot of work out there already to analyze and draw an opinion from....

It is a fair point to give the kid this whole year to see what you have....and it's a legit point to see what he does when you assume that the roster around him will be considerably upgraded next season.  It was the plan the whole time...it's worth follow through on.  

There were players in college that won a Heisman - and sucked in the NFL

There were players in college that played well with obvious weaknesses - and those obvious weaknesses remained similar in the NFL after many many seasons 

There were players in college that played  meh - and succeeded in the NFL

The NFL is not college football.   We (collectively) need to see how they perform in the pro's

Sometimes it takes more that 1 year.  

I'm not saying Josh will be a LOCK for the HoF and or a perennial Pro bowl player  as well as calling him a failure after 4 games. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

I appreciate the OP's honesty and willingness to lead a reasoned and balanced approach. I have to say, I've held this approach since they Drafted him. I was not an "Allen guy", although I didn't "hate" him as much as many people on this board and Bills fans in general did either. So, taking the "wait and see" approach was easier for me to swallow. Honestly, when Josh Rosen was still on the board when the Bills Drafted at 7, I really did think Rosen was the guy. 

After the initial shock was over, I made a similar commitment as the OP by simply saying it would take time and to see the long-term benefit and plan. What helped me was the team making the playoffs last year and McD getting the most of out the underwhelming unit to break the drought. Beane, IMHO, has done mostly good things (Darby trade still bothers me) and I knew the plan was to ride out one more truly bad year before it started to really turn around. I was happy about last year and I give the team credit b/c no matter how we couch the playoffs, they still had to win to put themselves in position to be in the playoffs. So, here we are. The Bills believe they have their Franchise QB of the future, they built on their existing strength in Defense, and have cleared Cap space without giving up Draft picks for 2019. Let's see this thing through and in the meantime enjoy the ride. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Degenerate Mike in HHDS said:

I'm with you. He's 2-2 in games started FFS. Has he looked great no but he's learning every game. The Bills have played 5 teams that the experts predicted would be in the playoffs this year and now have 2 winnable games that could make them 4-3 for MNF and the Pats.  Nice post OP!

murph was talking about this the other day...that our strength of schedule in the first half of the year went from " x " (i can't remember the rank but think it was very high),

to 3rd easiest through the second half. if we can win these next two, maybe we have a shot against the pats at home on halloween.

however, if we can get to 4-4 and that switch between allen's ears flips on, we could go on a 6-2 run through the 2nd half with most of the games at home.

14 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Lots of us already on board with Allen.  No need to swear it...

Biggest sinners sit in the front pew and sing the loudest....

never heard that one before. i love it!

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/11/2018 at 9:43 AM, Like A Mofo said:

Dear Social Media and message board watchers,

I as a Buffalo Bills fan will refrain from making a definitive conclusion as to Josh Allen and if he 'is the answer' at QB for the long term for the Buffalo Bills for the rest of the season. After reviewing mine and other opinions over the weeks, I realize that the knee jerk reactions are not needed during this time. I will allow time for Josh to develop. I will stay even keel if Allen has a great game or a bad game in 2018. I will tell myself over and over that 2019 will bring in an infusion of talent which can help the young signal caller. I will remind myself that quarterbacks can take different amounts of time to develop.

I sign off on this vow the rest of the year, for my betterment as a fan of this team. Who is with me?

Signed,

Like A Mofo

Wait a minute ... does that mean we CAN make a definitive assessment at the end of the 2018 season? Because it took 1.25 seasons for the team to pull the plug on the EJ Experiment.