London Jaguars? Cheerio!

YoloinOhio

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the Jags will have to provide tax-free player contracts/pay their taxes for them if they play 4 games/year there. Players on all teams get a one game tax bill when they play in London. 

Not sure that is legal...even if it was, why wouldn't every player in the NFL demand that their owner pay for any road game state taxes?

They would never sign a free agent.

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the nfl wants it too. The owners will vote for it if it makes them money I assume. 

Not sure how it makes any other owner any real extra money.  Splitting a slight  higher take from the gate at Wembly vs Jags stadium?  That would be eaten up with one trip to London for a non-Jags team.

20 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Athletes pay taxes wherever their games are played.  They need to file in numerous states.  I wonder how complicated that is when crossing over internationally.  

IMO they should poop or get off the pot with this.  The "the bike will be both of ours, we'll just keep it at my house" thing is silly and a way to stunt the growth of the fanbase on both ends.  4 games and 4 games is an awful idea  

They said anytime they play there they get a giant tax bill in the mail 

57 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Which national anthem will be sung at Wembley? What if a player turns their back on the Queen? This gonna get ugly. 

Get there early...I heard they’re going with 99 Bottles of Stout on the Wall. 

The practical implications of this are enormous. How do you pull this off? You think going from the west coast to Jax was bad?  This makes our Toronto deal look like a good idea. What am I missing? 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the Jags will have to provide tax-free player contracts/pay their taxes for them if they play 4 games/year there. Players on all teams get a one game tax bill when they play in London. 

The players get taxed from all angles. I read an article about why the Texans low ball somewhat because 10 of their games are played in states without an income tax. 

49 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Paying the players' income taxes would still count against the salary cap would it not?  If this flies then you will see a whole bunch of new stadiums in Delaware.

12 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Paying the players' income taxes would still count against the salary cap would it not?  If this flies then you will see a whole bunch of new stadiums in Delaware.

Shield has the right to do whatever it wants in the best interests of the game

14 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Come again?

All leagues reserve the right to bend whatever rules they have established if they feel doing so is in the best interests of the game.

The NFL would have no trouble overcoming tax codes and treaties, it has that much heft behind it.

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

I am so glad this isn't us.    what a joke and a slap to the face of actual Jags fans.   Here, buy our merchandise and support us in Jacksonville...at least 4 times a year, and never in January as he'll want any playoff games to be in London.   

If he's going to go, suck it up and go.   Don't pussyfoot around it. 

He would probably have the preseason games in Jacksonville too. Stick it to the season ticket holders to pay for the meaningless games while London gets everything that counts.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

"KKKKKKKKKKHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN!"

I've never understood it. It'd be like Bills fans chanting, "EEEEEEEERRRRRRIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!"

You're chanting for the county you play in? I don't get it.

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Wouldn't it make more sense just to relocate the team elsewhere in the United States if the JAX market isn't a viable one?  That plan of his is so stupid.  

I think a London team is a great idea, actually. I'm all for it. And screw Jax - they should never have gotten a team in the first place, and the fan support there is abysmal.