London Jaguars? Cheerio!

YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Yup, difference is not as stark as people imagine (although I think the NHS tax is in addition to the 45% in the UK).  There was a list a couple years ago about total effective tax rates for NFL players.  Phillip Rivers topped the list at about 50%.

Too bad he's not paying his "fair share". 

This is what I try to explain to people often. “the us tax rate isn’t that high”. While that may be true, it is still high. Then factor in social security FICA taxes and state taxes and we are actually taxed at a quite high rate. Then add in that we do not get universal healthcare for it like most other industrialized nations. 

I think the NFL will allow the London franchise to have a bump in the salary cap to entice them to go if the franchise initially has problems getting players to go to London. I though do think that many players would love the idea of going overseas to play for a similar salary after taxes especially considering the potential for endorsements if they get good. If the NFL does move the franchise it will be as important the Cowboys in that the NFL needs it work and become an icon brand.

Funny...I'm sure these owners love taxes when it comes to paying for their new stadiums, but boy does he want to avoid them when the money is coming out of HIS pocket -_-

And you better make damn sure your drafting is exceptional, otherwise don't expect to field a competitive team since no free agents will come there.

GO JETLAG JAGS!

8 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

This is what I try to explain to people often. “the us tax rate isn’t that high”. While that may be true, it is still high. Then factor in social security FICA taxes and state taxes and we are actually taxed at a quite high rate. Then add in that we do not get universal healthcare for it like most other industrialized nations. 

The funny thing is we pay just about the same amount of money per person through public money already as those same countries with universal healthcare, only because we've created such a huge multi-billion dollar industry with private healthcare, our money gets us far less, and per person we spend about 3 times more for the same procedures, meds, appointments, etc. than other industrialized nations.

Really sucks that we can't go back in time & fix it, because at this point it's probably too little too late...Oh well!

On 10/12/2018 at 12:22 PM, KD in CA said:

Yup, difference is not as stark as people imagine (although I think the NHS tax is in addition to the 45% in the UK).  There was a list a couple years ago about total effective tax rates for NFL players.  Phillip Rivers topped the list at about 50%.

I just retired from a multi-national company and have worked with many in other countries and have done stints outside the US.

Two issues assuming your numbers are correct:

1.  All other comp is taxed so many of the benefits in US not taxed are taxed in Europe.

2.  The US will tax in addition to the European country.  The US is the only country in the world that does this and increases the ex-pat costs dramatically.

On 10/12/2018 at 12:22 PM, KD in CA said:

Rivers is a creep, fwiw.

--------------------

Why the hell would any freedom loving American want to deal with the repression of the UK where they are banning pizza size.

Edited by Boyst62

On 10/11/2018 at 2:36 PM, May Day 10 said:

No matter how badly the NFL probably would rather the Bills play in Toronto, there was no possible way to do so.

No because Ralph Wilson crafted a deal to keep them in Buffalo post sale.

Despite being called senile by posters on the wall he called the deal with NFLPA which almost broke it a bad deal and was smart enough to craft contract keeping Bills in Buffalo despite desires of some of the more powerful owners.

On 10/11/2018 at 10:29 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I think the Jags will have to provide tax-free player contracts/pay their taxes for them if they play 4 games/year there. Players on all teams get a one game tax bill when they play in London. 

How does this work with the salary cap? can the Bills pay taxes for their players because NY states suck worse than almost anywhere?