London Jaguars? Cheerio!

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

London!  You know...bad food, worse weather, Marry !@#$ing Poppins!

Food is great in London.  Jacksonville smells like raw sewage and fine dining is a place that has sliders on a "tasting menu"...

16 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

People don't like to hear this but Toronto is our market and I hope as the Pegula's become more prominent in the NFL that they assert this to the other owners.  Don't take my statement as any desire to move the team there.  Keep the Bills in Erie County.  I think that setting a franchise in Toronto is detrimental to the long term health of the Bills in WNY.

agreed, i don't want a team here in Toronto, Buffalo has to keep the Bills, more authentic

How in the hell does someone amass this much money while being so stupid? Moving a team to London??? Worst idea ever!  Even having games outside the USA bastardizes the NFL. The games in London are a joke just like the Bills in Toronto series was, same as the games in Mexico. Keep all the games in the USA and stop ruining the league with this nonsense.

3 hours ago, dpberr said:

Wouldn't it make more sense just to relocate the team elsewhere in the United States if the JAX market isn't a viable one?  That plan of his is so stupid.  

It's not so much JAX isn't viable its that London is farrrr more $. Think St. Louis vs LA when that happened. St. Louis had agreed to a brand new beautiful waterfront stadium and the NFL/Rams still said no preferring a privately funded LA stadium because the $ implications were far greater.

Market loyalty is a fallacy in the NFL it is simply about the $ and maximizing it.

29 minutes ago, row_33 said:

agreed, i don't want a team here in Toronto, Buffalo has to keep the Bills, more authentic

The name of the game is number of households tuned to a NFL game for ad revenue and the 4 county area of extreme WNY just will not get it done for the NFL today.  The Jets might be a distant 2nd in NYC to the Giants but the two teams are broadcast on different networks and at different times when possible.  The Jets are under no pressure to move because they still bring in millions of households in the tri-state area for each broadcast.  The population is just too large to fail there.

Edited by RochesterRob

30 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

It’s probably likely they slowly move to London.  Khan wants to make money.  I’d rather see him go to Toronto and keep us safe.

we’ll see.  

the Bills are safe and better off with no team in Toronto as there is no competition for any revenue currently coming from there. At this point, the NFL ever moving to Toronto is a huge longshot. The best chance they ever had was a few years ago and they blew it. If the powers that be had come together with a bid that did not include Bon Jovi and laid out a plan for a new NFL stadium, Pegula would have been toast. Even as wealthy as Pegula is, Rodgers  has more. 

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I remember when the Packers used to split their home games between Green Bay and Milwaukee. I don’t really care what they do, it’s Jacksonville, still surprised they ever got an NFL team.

Green Bay and Milwaukee are in close proximity and share the same fan base. London and Jax is a much larger hurdle. I do agree with you- im surprised they have a team as well. That said, I dont want to see any team moving out of the Continental United States- I think the greed of it clouds all the other issues that will pop up. I do respect your opinion thou.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SF Bills Fan said:

the Bills are safe and better off with no team in Toronto as there is no competition for any revenue currently coming from there. At this point, the NFL ever moving to Toronto is a huge longshot. The best chance they ever had was a few years ago and they blew it. If the powers that be had come together with a bid that did not include Bon Jovi and laid out a plan for a new NFL stadium, Pegula would have been toast. Even as wealthy as Pegula is, Rodgers  has more. 

Never underestimate the NFL's appetite for expansion money.  The Chargers or Raiders could have just as easily been relocation candidates to Toronto just a couple years ago as they were in line for new stadiums where they plan to be in the near future.  Moving the Jags would take the pressure off of the Florida market as I never thought that Florida could support three teams.  So better London than Toronto.

Edited by RochesterRob

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

London!  You know...bad food, worse weather, Marry !@#$ing Poppins!

London is one of the best cities in the world to eat. It is just that we don't tell American visitors where the good places are, because we would not want to harm their preconceptions. We're friendly like that.

• Haha (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Food is great in London.  Jacksonville smells like raw sewage and fine dining is a place that has sliders on a "tasting menu"...

32 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Bad food?!? When was the last time you were there??

2 minutes ago, Brit said:

London is one of the best cities in the world to eat. It is just that we don't tell American visitors where the good places are, because we would not want to harm their preconceptions. We're friendly like that.

Calm down.  It’s a movie quote. Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels.  Guy Ritchie?  Know it?  

Jeez...

26 minutes ago, SF Bills Fan said:

I dont think they blew it so much as fell victim to a perfect storm of sorts.

It started with Ted Rogers passing away.  It was his goal to bring the NFL to Toronto and he made a deal with Wilson to dip their toes in the water.  He expected people to be rabid about the games, planting the flag for their own team, and pricing was too high, which kept people away, bad press, etc.  Not to mention the SkyDome is a drab facility.  I have little doubt that if Toronto had their own team, it would have been well attended.

The deal fizzled a bit, they gave back the preseason games as well as their need for a Divisional, or at least 'interesting' match up.  The Bills stunk, keeping out relevancy as well as Bills fans.

Meanwhile, we had a multi-billionaire sports fan with local ties burst onto the scene in 2010-2011.

Then, we had a new lease with a strong NRA. 

Before the paint was even dry on the stadium improvements Mr. Wilson passed away, putting the team up for auction.  With several years remaining on the lease.

Outside bidders had a bad deal with the NRA.  Would need a new stadium $, plus relocation fee $, plus the purchase of the team $, plus possible $500 million and/or legal fees, along with some pretty ugly lame-duck seasons in Buffalo.  Would be a horrible investment and probably would more than double the purchase price.  

Rogers has enough money, but since his passing, his family, as I understand it has fragmented a bit and a lot of the money is locked up a bit, and some in dispute.  The Rogers Communications Company had recently made a splash with a $5.2 Billion dollar NHL deal (announced like 4 months before Mr. Wilson passed away) that was already looking like a poor investment.  

MLSE and Bon Jovi did not have the loot to compete with Pegula, plus have enough to cover the additional cost of a relocation and facilities.  

No matter how badly the NFL probably would rather the Bills play in Toronto, there was no possible way to do so.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the Jags will have to provide tax-free player contracts/pay their taxes for them if they play 4 games/year there. Players on all teams get a one game tax bill when they play in London. 

Seems like a salary cap issue......if allowed what about teams in TX and FLA where they don't pay state taxes.  The Bills should then ask fpr the same deal.

What i don;t know if players playing one game there a year have to pay UK taxes.

40 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The name of the game is number of households tuned to a NFL game for ad revenue and the 4 county area of extreme WNY just will not get it done for the NFL today.  The Jets might be a distant 2nd in NYC to the Giants but the two teams are broadcast on different networks and at different times when possible.  The Jets are under no pressure to move because they still bring in millions of households in the tri-state area for each broadcast.  The population is just too large to fail there.

yup, and those who wanted an NFL team in Toronto are no longer pushing the agenda of a decade ago

I was under the assumption that Jacksonville couldn't fill it's stadium, but I just looked at their attendance numbers for the past few years and they've been solid.  I could understand how a move to London could increase the overall value of the franchise, but how does playing a few games a year there as he Jacksonville Jaguars really benefit Khan? 

If the NFL wants a team in London, then do a divisional realignment and send the Chargers there.  They're hated in both Los Angeles and San Diego now and have zero fanbase outside of the fans coming to support their opponents.  They're a quality team and they can't even fill a 20,000 seat soccer stadium.  London Chargers join the East, Dolphins move to the AFC South and Houston/Indy can slot into the AFC West.