London Jaguars? Cheerio!

YoloinOhio

The 

Daily Mail reports that Khan’s staff is examining how to limit the taxes he will pay in the United Kingdom when bringing the Jaguars to Wembley.

According to the report, Khan is looking at basing the Jaguars in Jacksonville while playing their home games in London. Khan would need to make sure he can do that while keeping his own tax bill in check, as well as keeping in mind that free agents aren’t going to want to play for the Jaguars if they’re subject to the UK’s higher taxes on high incomes.

It wouldn’t make any sense to play all eight games in London while basing the team in Jacksonville, but one option that could make sense is playing four home games a year at Wembley Stadium and the other four in Jacksonville, while keeping the team facility in Florida. That would allow him to keep his word to remain in Jacksonville while also maximizing his revenue, as the Jaguars reportedly make more money for the games they play in London than for the games they play in Jacksonville.

Edited by YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Wouldn't it make more sense just to relocate the team elsewhere in the United States if the JAX market isn't a viable one?  That plan of his is so stupid.  

I think the nfl wants it too. The owners will vote for it if it makes them money I assume. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

come on Fergs.....   They KNEEL to the Queen!!! 

If the Queen is sitting up in the Royal Box Seats along the 50 yd line, then one of the teams will have their back to her (of course, it depends if she is sitting on the “home” side or “visitor” side). Either way, one of the teams will be subject to the guillotine (53 deaths) or, worse yet, eating English food. 

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Wouldn't it make more sense just to relocate the team elsewhere in the United States if the JAX market isn't a viable one?  That plan of his is so stupid.  

It's a way to pair up two culturally similar cities like Jacksonville and London in a joint love of a football tea.  I believe Paris and Cleveland, and Tokyo and Indianapolis are also in the works. 

Seriously though I think it's less stupid than it is greedy. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am so glad this isn't us.    what a joke and a slap to the face of actual Jags fans.   Here, buy our merchandise and support us in Jacksonville...at least 4 times a year, and never in January as he'll want any playoff games to be in London.   

If he's going to go, suck it up and go.   Don't pussyfoot around it. 

• Like (+1) 2

Athletes pay taxes wherever their games are played.  They need to file in numerous states.  I wonder how complicated that is when crossing over internationally.  

IMO they should poop or get off the pot with this.  The "the bike will be both of ours, we'll just keep it at my house" thing is silly and a way to stunt the growth of the fanbase on both ends.  4 games and 4 games is an awful idea  

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the nfl wants it too. The owners will vote for it if it makes them money I assume. 

Good grief, Why?  It would be a logistical nightmare for both the Jags and for their opponents.

How could they be sure it would make them money enough to compensate for all the extra expenses?

Canadian fans didn't exactly "take" to NFL games and they have American football of their own.

Where's @GunnerBillto weigh in here?  Between Soccer, Rugby, and if they want something exotic Gaelic football or Hurling - um, now to put this politely?  Many Brits and Europeans that I've known actually regard American Football as, er, um............. somewhat UNMANLY.  Giles the Librarian's quote from Buffy kind of sums up the attitude: " I think it’s rather odd that a nation that prides itself on its virility should feel compelled to strap on forty pounds of protective gear just to play a game like rugby."

34 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Aren’t the Jags undefeated there?  As cool as it would be, it makes no sense to have a team in London.  They would be at such a disadvantage.

Is that where the Bills forgot to put new batteries in Rex's headset, and the BIlls completed a pass with the WR standing 6 yards out of bounds?