Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

...other than offering an ever growing list of "freebees" to buy votes with absolutely NO viable way to pay for their laundry list, how can it be taken as realistic?....the candidate list would be a perfect fit for Rowan & Martin's "Laugh In".....yet the general fickle nature of the electorate would EASILY sell their votes for handouts and the mega increase in the nation's debt "ain't their problem".....think you'll ever convince the "handout gang" it should be "we" as a country first (is it financilly doable) versus "me" individually?...good luck....

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, keepthefaith said:

Why wait for the election and risk losing all that time and further risk that Bernie doesn't make it and/or that Congress fails to act on your behalf.  Take that sign to a busy street corner along with a bucket. 

Or try high tech pan handling, Go_Fund_Me.

I will never own a home, start a family, or live debt-free.

As far as this part, I would tell him what I told my daughter when she told me stuff like that.  With that attitude you certainly won't.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I propose that a better way to win would be a positive message like "Hope and Change" and just expound on how great the post Trump era will be.  People are getting tired of the chaos.  A world without a president doing personal attacks and trolling and all the collateral damage that causes is sounding more and more appealing as each day/twitter troll goes by.

"Hope and Change" is the equivalent of "Abrakadabra". It means nothing. The only specifics the dems have are pie in the sky proposals that are economically impossible.

6 hours ago, dpberr said:

The Democrats are out of time.  They are hopeless slaves to the Trump 24/7 mania.  The Democrats had all this time to come up with decent ideas about healthcare, transportation, college debt, law enforcement reform, moderate gun control positions, etc.  

Not to mention coalesce around three candidates, not 20+.  

They pissed it all away on the "Trump is Bad" feel good emotional rage out and fighting "every" single battle instead of picking them.  

Trump is especially vulnerable on healthcare and transportation because he hasn't done a thing about either issue.  

That's all all they've talked about during the debates.  They went after each other more than Trump which was surprising to me.  It's more the media that drives the Trump mania and Trump that drives the headlines with his daily nonsense on twitter.  

The best shot they have is to run a moderate candidate with a platform that includes a public option for healthcare (polls better than the old free market system and single payer), a return to decency/normalcy that helped Bush win in 2000, increasing taxes on the rich to help expand entitlement programs, and reasonable proposals to the college debt problem along with a tough but compassionate position on immigration.  If they go too far left they'll lose.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

"Hope and Change" is the equivalent of "Abrakadabra". It means nothing. The only specifics the dems have are pie in the sky proposals that are economically impossible.

What's the debt under Trump?  Not holding my breath with his promise of eliminating it in eight years.  If you want to go with pie in the sky proposals, why does every other major country have some type of single payer system?  It creates lower health care costs for the economy.

As far as campaign slogans go, they're all worthless.  So is "MAGA" or "For people, for a change" or "Compassionate conservative" or "Morning in America" or any other stupid campaign slogan.   

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Biden wouldn't be McGovern 2.0.  More like Dole 2.0

I actually voted for Dole because I liked him along with Jack Kemp and knew that Clinton would win easily.   Dole also fought in WWII while Clinton used every connection and loophole he could to dodge Vietnam.

There's no real past comparison as every election will be tight because of how evenly divided his country is now.  Maybe John Kerry 2.0 if I had to go with one for Biden.

If Biden gets the nomination he would need an exceptional VP he would listen to.  So far I'm not that impressed with anyone running so far.

Biden would need a good speech writer to get his beliefs across , no more ad lib.

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yet EXACTLY who the "freebee gang" hope to attract.....maybe I can get "tuition reparations" for what college cost me for my kids..........

I agree! I paid for my daughter’s education. I guess I should’ve just gotten a loan instead. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ALF said:

If Biden gets the nomination he would need an exceptional VP he would listen to.  So far I'm not that impressed with anyone running so far.

Biden would need a good speech writer to get his beliefs across , no more ad lib.

:beer:

The front three seem set: Sanders, Biden, Warren. 

That leaves a race for the top two VP candidates from the field: Mayor Pete and Harris. There might be a third potential veep out there lurking in the Congress (who isn't running), but it seems likely the nominee will be some amalgamation of these five. 

However that ticket is formed, I don't see it winning.

19 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Beta is going to deliver the most important speech of his career. The tens in attendance will be enthralled, enraptured, emboldened... and then go back to their day jobs of working the phones for his campaign.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3